1890's Experimental Blank Roll Harness/ Yoke

New Romantic

New Romantic

One of my interests is the development and evolution of Army equipment and over the past few years I have been reading up on the post Civil War period. This is covered in detail by Douglas McChristian in his book covering 1870-1880 and his two volume 1880-1892 set.

Unfortunately he doesn't mention the blanket roll harness I am posting here but this item may be later than 1892. Currently I am scouring period annual reports for this item but so far have only turned up info on a Blanket Roll Support developed by a Lt Charles Dodge in 1892. The brief descriptions I have read do not describe the blanket roll harness in this topic.

I found these photos on eBay in an auction by Walter Budd Military goods.

post-599-1246148933.jpg

post-599-1246148944.jpg

post-599-1246148955.jpg

New Romantic

It should be noted the the Army experimented and issued two brace yoke equipments in the 1870's- the 1872 and 1874 pattern equipment which were not received favourably the soldiers who actually had to use them. Though the simpler 1878 Blanket Bag equipment was considered a fair success for the Army, the Ordnance Department was still fixated on a brace yoke equipment as shown by this example. However with this harness, the load centers on the blanket roll which was favoured by soldiers over the knapsacks issued by the Army.

post-599-1246149295.jpg

post-599-1246149304.jpg

post-599-1246149314.jpg

post-599-1246149323.jpg

New Romantic

Take note of the 1878 pattern canteen and haversack which are suspended on one side by the harness. Previous brace yoke equipment focused on the distribution of weight around the body and the canteen was carried by a web strap independent from the harness. Also the purpose of the 1872 and 1874 brace yoke equipment was to support the weight of the waist belt which carried two pouches for ammunition. With the blanket roll harness in this topic, the woven looped cartridge belt was used to carry rifle ammunition.

post-599-1246149903.jpg

New Romantic

Here's another interesting experimental item which appears to center on the blanket roll. Photo from Hayes Otoupalik Militaria.

post-599-1246150223.jpg

Hello Frankie,

I think that might be the equipment carrier patented by C. P. Nutter. Patent number 639,429. I've got the patent printed out and I'll post it when I get a chance.

Tim

I did see the other item you posted From Hayes' web site. At first I thought it might be the "E 14th pack" illustrated in the July 1909 issue of the "Infantry Journal" but the construction of the E 14th pack didn't use a wood frame. Again, when I get a chance I'll post pics.

Tim

• 4 years later...
VolunteerArmoury

Afternoon, I have one of those that I purchased in Gettysburg last year at the Company of Military Historians conference. I was told that there are photos of NY troops boarding a ship early in the 20th century but have yet to have seen said photos but I'd love to know more about them primarily what units may've been issued & tested these.