Marine Corps League

KevinBeyer

Header_Left_190.jpg

MARINE CORPS LEAGUE

Created in 1923 by Major General John A. Legeune, the Marine Corps League seeks to bring together all present and former Marines and Fleet Marine Force (FMF) Corpsmen to preserve the traditions and promote the interests of the United States Marine Corps. They provide aid and assistance to all Marines, widows and orphans of Marines and FMF Corpsmen. Members of the Marine Corps League gather in camaraderie while preserving the traditions and perpetuating the history of the United States Marine Corps.

-The following is a list of programs sponsored by the Marine Corps League (as obtained from their website):

-Marines Helping Marines - Wounded Marines Program

-U.S Marines Youth Physical Fitness Program

-Young Marines of the Marine Corps League

-Scholarship Program

-Legislative Program

-Veterans Service Officer Program

-Veterans Affairs Voluntary Service Programs

-Marine Corps League Auxiliary

-Military Order of Devil Dogs

-Toys for Tots

-Boy Scouts of America

-Marine-4-Life/Injured Marine Support Program

For those interested in membership: Membership information for the Marine Corps League

Below is an example of the Marine Corps League Past Commandant membership medal which I recently obtained.

post-276-1246074314.jpg

The detail on this medal is quite amazing. I have seen one other variation of this medal. I am uncertain as to when this medal might have been worn by a member. If anyone has any information, it would be greatly appreciated.

MarineCorpsLeagueClose2.jpg

The next two photos are close ups of the pendant which show just how large the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor are on the medal.

MarineCorpsLeagueClose1.jpgMarineCorpsLeagueClose3.jpg

I have come across two other examples of Marine Corps League membership medals. Both exhibit officer bars from different levels of the organization. I believe that the eagles in all three examples to be slightly different. I do not know if this difference has come about via a change in design, or as a result in the medals being made by various manufacturers. I suspect the globes to be slightly different as well, but I cannot be certain based solely on these images. A major difference between these two medals and the one in my possession is the pebbling observed in the red background.

MCLeague.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Kevin, many folks are unaware and surprised of the "true origin's" of the organization and controversial nature which prompted the nucleus to organize...

The Marine Corps Association was founded on April 25, 1911 at Guantanamo Bay by the officers of the 1st Provisional Marine Brigade, under command of Colonel Littleton W. T. Waller. The slow development of the Advanced Base Force, during 1908—1909, caused the removal of traditional Marine's ship guard roles of the colonial days, creating controversy between the Marine Corps and the Navy. Angered by the Headquarters Marine Corps handling of the ship guard issue, plus the disappointment of President Taft's appointment of Biddle as Commandant (most all the Officers of the fleet saw Colonel Waller as the best suited for the office of Commandant), the officers of the provisional brigade decided to form their own lobby and self education forum; due to the concern of possible intervention in Cuba or Mexico.

"...To preserve the existence and status of the Marine Corps...by recording and publishing the history of the Marine Corps.... for intended training and education purposes to all Marines."

Although the 1st Provisional Marine Brigade disbanded shortly after, the MCA remained active. Two years later, again at Guantanamo Bay, officers of the 2d Provisional Marine Brigade, commanded by Colonel Lincoln Karmany, formally organized the Marine Corps Association. Colonel Karmany appointed then-Lt. Colonel John A. Lejeune (later the 13th Commandant of the Marine Corps) as its first head of the executive board.

s/f Darrell

Darrell,

Did the Marine Corps Association then evolve into the Marine Corps League?

Kevin

Marine Corps League

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Marine Corps League is the only federally chartered United States Marine Corps-related veterans organization in the United States. Its Federal Charter was approved by the 75th U.S. Congress and signed by President Franklin D. Roosevelt on August 4, 1937. The organization credits its founding — in 1923 — to legendary Marine Corps Commandant John A. Lejeune.

The group holds a congressional charter under Title 36 of the United States Code.

Semper Fi - Bobgee - Life Member & Past Commandant, McLemore Detachment #324, Marine Corps League, Houston, Texas

teufelhunde.ret

Kevin, it comes down to legend & lore or fact and fiction. Purportedly the "Marine Corps Veterans Association" was founded by members of the "Marine Corps Association" as a arm or extension of the association prior to WW1. It was composed Officers and enlisted men from the "Association" who had served in the Corps, retired and vets of SAW. With dozens of various Marine veteran organization's springing up post WW1, both organizations governing boards apparently saw the need for one single organization and General Lejune authorized the organizational charter for the "Marine Corps League" to replace the "veterans association" and the Marine Corps Veterans Association faded to memory. The MCA has continued on for decades with ever increasing importance and despite serious financial issues a few decades ago has taken on more roles (absorbed other organizations) in support of the Marine Corps and the mission.

The following is from the McLemore Detachment #324 website:

An article in "The Leatherneck" magazine dated November 25, 1922 announced that Marine Veterans of the Civil War, Spanish-American War and the World War had met and laid the foundation for a new organization "which will hereafter be known as the Marine Corps Veteran's Organization. So the esprit de corps, world famed during the Great War, that has always made the ex-Leatherneck from Maine shake hands with another from California will be kept alive for years to come. "Once a marine, always a Marine" will be the slogan of the ex-Leathernecks association which came into existence on the 147th anniversary of the United States Marine Corps."

In "The Leatherneck" dated May 12, 1923, an article announced the formation of a new chapter of the "Marine Corps Veteran's Association" in Houston, Texas. The chapter was called the McLemore Detachment in honor of Col. Albert S. McLemore USMC. Col. McLemore served 28 years in the Marine Corps and the article said that during the World War he was in charge of recruiting and publicity and, in 1919, he assumed the duties of Asst. Adjutant and Inspector of the Dept. Of the Pacific.

If you are an honorably discharged or serving Marine, I encourage you to find your local Detachment and check it out!

Semper Fi.....Bobgee

KevinBeyer

Fascinating information, gentlemen!

Bobgee, are there any membership medals, or insignia that you could share with the Forum?

Kevin

• 4 months later...

I have just obtained a Marine Corps League Auxiliary membership medal. I am not certain of its age. The only mark on its reverse says "STERLING". It has a bar attached to the ribbon which says "PAST". It is my guess that there should be an accompanying bar for some level of officer. This medal came "as is" so I can only speculate as to what should be there. The blue and gold color ribbon may be that of a membership lower than the National level. From photographs I have seen online, members of the National MCLA have ribbons that are golden in color.

MarineCorpsLeagueAuxiliary2.jpg MarineCorpsLeagueAuxiliary2close.jpg

As always, if anyone can provide any new information, it would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin

• 4 weeks later...

I have been a member for 5 years. I have enjoyed the time I get to spend with my fellow Marines. I am not as active as I would like to be. But I do strongly encorage all Marines to join. We have a nice club in Klamath Falls Ore. (Crater Lake Detatchment) We do a lot of dinners and have a lot of fun doing them.

Semper-Fi

Russ

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

After doing research on my family for the past year, I discovered that my maternal grandmother had an older brother that served in the Marine Corps during WWI. He was in the 17th Company (A), 5th Regiment, 4th Marine Brigade, 2nd Division. I recently got some pictures of him, and managed to also get a copy of his service record from NARA.

Here's a picture of him in what I assume to be the late 1930's, wearing what I now know to be his Marine Corps League uniform. I thought you all might like to see what the uniform looked like back then. I have been told that he's wearing a MCL medal similar to the one at the beginning of this thread. It's right next to his 2nd Division Assn. medal on the bottom row.

post-36290-1305243052.jpg

I am a Life Member and Past Commandant of my local detachment, a great group to be with

S/F Bill

KevinBeyer

Thanks for sharing that photo, Tbruno! I really enjoyed seeing that!

USMCR79, do you have photos of a Life Member, or Past Commandant medal, or badge? I don't think anyone has shared one that personally belongs to them.

Thanks again!

Kevin

I joined the MCL over 2 years ago and I am the current Commadant at MCL #744. It is a great organization. I am also a pup in the MODD. I encourage all Marines to join.

Thanks for sharing that photo, Tbruno! I really enjoyed seeing that!

Thanks again!

Kevin

You're welcome! I was just happy to share something here. Everyone has been so kind and helpful, so I wanted to offer something. I'm very glad you enjoyed it, and I hope others did and will also...

I really wish I had that in color.

Scott

• 9 years later...

I picked up this Marine Corps League Auxiliary Past President pin recently.  It is hand engraved PAST PRES. / M.C.L. Aux. on the obverse and '50-'51 on the reverse.

There are no maker's marks, nor medal content stamps, nor attribution.

MCL_Aux_PastPresident_01_1500.jpgMCL_Aux_PastPresident_02_750.jpgMCL_Aux_PastPresident_03_750.jpg

in the 80s i was active with them. we had plenty of marines, pre ww2 , korea, very few nam marines, and very few post nam.

greatest bunch of guys and gals.( yes , we had ww2 female marines ). organized picnics,  funeral firing squads. rifle team, dances, parades, community  relations, political relations, all good.  you never know who knows who until you sit and talk.  one marine grew up with my wife's mom and dad, served in ww2 and korea with my wifes uncle, dated my wife's aunt.   i still go for the flag on graves memorial day, and the picnic afterwards,many new faces now,  all have the spirit of comradery.  i also suggest any  marine to visit the local "club house ".    you will not be put on a work crew right away.     lol

semper fi

sunrise detachment

• 1 month later...

I have recently found a Marine Corps League Past National Commandant badge.  The reverse is unattributed, so it is not traceable to any individual.  According to the MCL website, as of 2006, there were 56 Past National Commandants and 12 Honorary Past National Commandants.

MCL_PastNationalCommandant_composite.jpg

In addition to the above, I have also found a Marine Corps League membership badge with a Meritorious Service bar.  The reverse is unattributed.  I could not determine what criteria were necessary for members to be granted the wearing of this bar.

MCL_MeritoriousService_composite.jpg