From the Attic: My 1996 486th BG Reunion Momento

Teamski

I was sorting out my (very) cluttered attic and pulled this out. I forgot all about it. While over in the UK, a British friend of mine let me attend the 1996 489th BG reunion at Halesworth. Before the event, I painted this B-24 from the group and left the bottom for autographs. The event was quite something. It started with the Royal British Legion and a Tiger Moth fly-over complete with dropped poppies. It ended with a trip to the local pub where the 486th hung out during the war. It was neat to have the vets look over the painting and then sign it. I talked my eyes out that day! One of the signatures belonged to Sharon Vance Kirnan, the daughter of Col Leon Vance. A photo of him holding her as a baby in front of his B-24, the Sharon D, adorns the wall in the pub. It's sad to think just how many of those guys are now gone..... Thanks for looking!

-Ski

post-3043-1246037235.jpg

post-3043-1246037254.jpg

Ski,

Thats a pretty neat picture. Looks like you have some skill!

Vance

Thanks! It is amaturish but I am happy with it. Now if I could get my 486th and my 489th straight :rolleyes: ...... It was the 489th BG out of Halesworth!

Three of the crew had their British War Bride wives with them. It was neat to hear their stories of moving and adjustment to living in the US. I thought it was so cool that they would be back in the UK, with their husbands 52 years later, now that their kids were all grown up and married.....

-Ski