Captain Todd M. Siebert

ADMIN

This message is probably one of the hardest things I've ever done. But, I think it is important for people here to know about fellow militaria collectors and true Marine.

The collector I want to mention is my dear friend Todd Siebert. Todd started off in the Army as an enlistedman but then later switched to the Marines. In the Marines, he became an officer (a Captain in fact). I still have to laugh a bit to recall him complaining that one of his friends, a female officer, got her Major's promotion before him (even though she had more time in in the rank). He was always in good spirits and extremely kind.

Over the time I knew Todd he and I passed numerous emails about Marine collectables and military history. From a little boy on he told me he was interested in the military and its history. A true historian and collector. In some ways, I got the idea from him that he felt it was almost his duty to follow in his heroes' footsteps and serve himself.

In one of our last emails he mentioned he was probably going to be called to Iraq. He didn't seem gleeful to do so (especially since he would have to leave his wife and he had a young son and daughter) but, as he was about Afghanistan, Todd knew his duty. So, Todd went.

I sadly hadn't heard from him at that point. Then one day I receive an email from his wife with the news. Todd was killed in the Al Anbar Province on Feb 16, 2007.

1.jpg

I just hope all will remember Todd and the sacrifices that are not only made by the veterans of past wars whose items we collect, but also by the collectors.

Todd's funeral

2.jpg

Here's more about Todd:

http://www.iraqwarheroes.com/siebert.htm

By the way, his wife has set up a scholarship fund with Marine Federal Credit Union for the children. If you wish to donate, please send contributions to the following address:

Siebert Scholarship Foundation

Marine Federal Credit Union

Attn: Jim Butler

PO Box 1551

Jacksonville, NC 28541-1551

OBITUARY

Todd Michael Siebert

SIEBERT

CAPTAIN TODD MICHAEL

Age 34, of Jacksonville NC, formerly of Franklin Park, was killed in action Friday, February 16, 2007 while conducting combat operations in the Al-Anbar Province of Iraq. Born March 22, 1972 in Bellevue, PA, Captain Siebert was a graduate of North Allegheny High School where he was a member of the R.O.T.C., and a graduate of Penn State University. He was a member of the Marine Historical Society & an avid collector of World War II military memorabilia. He enjoyed landscaping. Captain Siebert was in the 3rd Battalion, 6th Marines and served his country in Afghanistan and Iraq. He was awarded, the Purple Heart, the Navy & Marine Corps Commendation Medal, Navy & Marine Corps Achievement Medal, Combat Action Ribbon, Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal, Iraq Campaign Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Sea Service Deployment Ribbon, National Defense Service Medal, Navy Meritorious Unit Commendation, and the Navy Unit Commendation. He is survived by his parents, Thomas W. & Dorothy (Weiss) Siebert of Harmony; his wife Darcy (Shever) Siebert whom he married Aug. 8, 1994; 2 children: Nicholas and Alicia Siebert; a brother, Thomas Siebert & his wife, Tracey of Harmony; 2 sisters, Diana Climo & her husband, Daniel of Zelienople and Denise Ridenour & her husband, Glenn of Wexford; father-in-law, Delmar Shever & his wife, Barbara of Tampa, FL. Friends will be received 1-4 & 6-9 PM Friday at BOYLAN FUNERAL HOME, INC., 324 E. Grandview Ave., Zelienople PA 16063. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated 10 AM Saturday, February 24th at St. Gregory Catholic Church, 2 West Beaver St., Zelienople (FRIENDS, PLEASE MEET AT CHURCH). Burial with military honors will follow at Grace Church Cemetery, Harmony. Memorial donations may be made to the Siebert Scholarship Foundation, c/o Marine Credit Union, PO Box 1551, Jacksonville, NC 28541-1551. On-line condolences & directions at www.boylanfuneralhome.com

Send condolences at post-gazette.com/gb

Published in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on 2/22/2007.

craig_pickrall

Another MARINE called to guard Heaven's Gates.

My deepest sympathy to Captain Siebert's family and friends.

Our deepest sympathy from Belgium to Captain Siebert and his family.

Saddened by the loss, but hoping he will rest in Peace.

Erwin

My heart-felt condolences to you, Captain Siebert, and his family. He died for a just cause, and now he "belongs to the ages". Semper Fi Todd.

Chris

I'm afraid I can think of no words to truly express my condolences. However, I feel these words of Lincoln appropriately express how I and I'm sure the others on the forum feel:

"I feel how weak and fruitless must be any word of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save.

I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom."

Beau Wright

Very ironic Beau. I borrowed the phrase "Now he belongs to the ages" from what Edwin Stanton had said at the bedside of Lincoln when he died.

Chris

Greg Robinson

My condolences to the family. Capt Siebert truly was one of the few good men, an outstanding Marine officer, and he will be missed.

Semper Fi

Greg Robinson

Jan Wouters

My condolences to the friends and family of Captain Todd M. Siebert.

May he rest in peace.

Semper fi

Jan Wouters

Belgium

From all of Todd's fellow collectors, I would like to extend a BIG welcome to our new member, dsiebert - Todd's beloved wife.

Todd was a wonderful historian and collector, particularly of Marine Corp items. Unlike some collectors who get blinded by greed or who collect only to impress friends at parties, Todd collected and preserved for all the right reasons -- he collected to recognize the sacrifices made by those brave men and women who have gone before us. And now he, like his heroes of past generations, has been called to guard Heaven's Gates. In every sense of the word, Todd was in life and now in death is a hero.

Without hesitation I can say, I have never known a more dedicated and finer Marine, collector, and human being as Todd Siebert. I thank the Lord I had the opportunity to know Todd.

Saddened reading your post about the loss of this US Soldier I heard on the Dutch news programm our country has also lost an soldier due the violence in Afghanistan.

My condolences to the Siebert family.

Bob

Being an old Navy vet I have always teased Marines, especially the vets I am involved with in veterans groups and social affairs knowing full well that the USN gives them the ride but THEY do Most of the fighting.

I am always saddened when I learn a young warrior has given his life for those of us at home. It breaks my heart to know they have left behind a wife and children, tears flow as I type. There is nothing I can say to bring back the husband. There is nothing I can do to bring back the father. That void can never be filled till we meet again in the great beyond. If tears can be an expression of gratitude and respect then you know now Captain Siebert that I have both for you.

Rest in peace Captain.

Semper Fi , Mac.

This tragedy serves as a reminder of why we collect American militaria. These items aren't cloth and metal and leather; they are tangible links to brave men who have given all for their country. I hope that Captain Siebert's uniforms, medals, insignia, and gear will be preserved to inspire future generations.

My deepest sympathies to the family in your time of sorrow. I hope you take some comfort in knowing that your loved one gave his life to make the world a safer place.

Bill R.

US Army Reserve