US Army Aviator Wing in ALUMINIUM

T-Bone

This may really be my last hope.

Years ago, 10 plus, I had a stash of ALUMINIUM Army Aviator wings.

Now, after having given or traded away my stash I am finding myself wanting a pair, or two, for myself.

Here is the question, does anyone else even remember these? I get weird looks when I ask dealers about these and have been told,"there ain't no such thing", a few times now.

I do not believe these were a halucination, so does anyone know anything about them, their history and maybe a source?

T-Bone

:blink: I've heard of wings made of lead, but never aluminum. The wings I were issued had a pewter look to them, but never seen aluminum.

Did they look like these?

These have a kind of aluminum look to them and they are rather light. I don't think that they are in fact aluminum but I could be wrong.

post-1519-1245955807.jpg

Or perhaps one of the Rhodium plated badges? Those have a shiny aluminum look to them. Not actually made from that metal but sure look like it.

John Cooper
Or perhaps one of the Rhodium plated badges? Those have a shiny aluminum look to them. Not actually made from that metal but sure look like it.

Bob has my vote.

I am starting to think I really screwed up in not keeping a set or two of these.

I know they were not lead, and they were not shiny like rhodium (thanks to Johns I now know what rhodium plating looks like, remember those early 1930s ones I found?) also.

These were done in a very light silvery grey metal, so light they were almost weightless.

The pins were sunk in to "dimples"(only way I can describe them) on the back of the wings.

The funny thing was they were some of the most beautifuly sculpted wings, or should that be molds, I have ever seen. They were very well made. If I had to guess I would saw Taiwan or Philippines for the artistic style of the casting.

I suspect they were used on hats (the old OG107 BBall hats) given the VERY light weight.

I checked with the guy who got them for me many years ago, he remembers the wing but he also sold all of them figuring he could always get more.

T-Bone