Zipper Snot

sgtbrown

I recently purchased a nice pair of USN sheepskin flight pants. The zippers seem to all be solid, but they have apparently been un-zipped for a LONG time. A solid coat of green verdigris has covered the brass/bronze teeth. Can anyone suggest a good way to clean the zippers so I can then zip them up and truly see if they are OK?

Thanks,

Tom

craig_pickrall

I'm no expert on this but without advice from others I think I would try the following. Brush the zippers to remove the "green meanies" and then coat the zipper by rubbing parafeen wax on it. That was a common lube for zippers in the "old days". You could also check in a sewing shop to see what they have in the way of modern zipper lube. You need to be careful of lube that will transfer to the sheepskin lining however.

I keep on hand soft bristle brass brushes for this sort of thing, but an old (or new) stiff toothbrush might work just was well. For lube, I put some lubricant on the end of a Q-Tip and brush the zipper with that. It doesn't take much: usually I can just brush it on a couple inches of the zipper and then run the zipper up and down a few times to spread it around.

Good advice guys! I use the wire brush in combination with the paraffine(I use a colorless candle or bees wax)

I would just like to add, that if you use a brush, and its some sort of metal, it might be better to use a brush in the same material as the object needing cleaning. For instance, if you clean metal parts with a copper wire brush, the metal will take on a coppershine. Just for what its worth.

Ive seen very good results with sodacrystal mixed in water. This seems to take off quite a bit of verdegris and ruststains, without harming cloth + it does not eat paint. I do not know the longterm effect of this though. Again, for what its worth

Regards

Stijn

Good advice guys! I use the wire brush in combination with the paraffine(I use a colorless candle or bees wax)

I would just like to add, that if you use a brush, and its some sort of metal, it might be better to use a brush in the same material as the object needing cleaning. For instance, if you clean metal parts with a copper wire brush, the metal will take on a coppershine. Just for what its worth.

Ive seen very good results with sodacrystal mixed in water. This seems to take off quite a bit of verdegris and ruststains, without harming cloth + it does not eat paint. I do not know the longterm effect of this though. Again, for what its worth

Regards

Stijn

The reason I use brass is that if some of the bristles come off and get caught in the fabric or zipper they will not rust. I have never had a problem with color coming off of brass brushes and I also use them extensively to clean stains and dirt off uniforms including wool dress uniforms.

to also clean corrsion (green stuff) use naptha it will eat it and will not harm the leather or fabric and does not stain.

Dustin,

Are you speaking of naptha as in "white gasoline", AKA "Coleman fuel"? Or are you speaking of Fels Naptha Soap?

Tom thumbsup.gif

as in "white gasoline", AKA "Coleman fuel"?

Tom i cannot identify it as them but I got my can from my local paint store with white label that reads just "naptha" and have used it succesfully on a pair of A-6A flight boots with bad zipper and did not harm the leather also I have used it on buttons and snaps without harm to fabric.

Tom i cannot identify it as them but I got my can from my local paint store with white label that reads just "naptha" and have used it succesfully on a pair of A-6A flight boots with bad zipper and did not harm the leather also I have used it on buttons and snaps without harm to fabric.

Well, I had to hit the Tractor Supply for some stuff, so I will also hit the Sherwin Williams store in the same plaza!

Thanks,

Tom thumbsup.gif