Wood Cookstove

sgtbrown

Pretty interesting: the listing says most of these Army Range cast iron stoves were sent overseas so that might explain why they are rare in the US. There's another one to be found in Google. Here's the one at your link, made by the Detroit Michigan Stove Company:

armyrange2.jpg

armyrange2label.jpg

And here's the other Army Range, made by a different company, Caloric -

armyrange1.jpg

armyrange1label.jpg

Sgt. Boghots

When I was growing up in Springfield, Oregon, my uncle had a ringer for that stove. He bought it from a second hand dealer in about 1960, and eventually took it to eastern Oregon near the Idaho border when he retired in 1972, putting it in an old cabin on his property that he converted to a shop.

Back in the '90's I diligently tried to track down that stove, with no success. I spent a couple of days near where he had lived talking to neighbors, etc.

I hit nothing but dead ends. Until seeing yours, my uncles was the only one I'd run into. I'd never heard that most went overseas, but that would explain their scarcity. I didn't think that a cast iron range could disappear into thin air, especially in a community of 60 people ! Several remembered it, but they were puzzled too.

Truth be known, I was probably within a mile of it and just didn't know it !!

Congratulations on your find.

Best regards,

Paul

That's the US Army Range #5. They seem to be around here in Oregon. I've had the chance to buy 3 and have seen maybe 3 others over the years. They wiegh something like 600 pounds plus, which is one reason I never bought one.

Still, why no mention of it in the QM catalogs?

Tom :thumbsup:

The QM supply catalogs that were reprinted by Peterson are great. I refere to mine often. But they are just a small part of the research material that is out there. The book Handbook for Quartermasters dated 1930, is another great reference book. The #5 stove is pictured and described on page 262. That book has 1192 pages.

Sgt. Boghots
That's the US Army Range #5. They seem to be around here in Oregon. I've had the chance to buy 3 and have seen maybe 3 others over the years. They wiegh something like 600 pounds plus, which is one reason I never bought one.

Hello Robin,

That "Caloric" is the maker that my uncle had. - I wonder if the large postwar scrap iron processors in the Portland area are the reason for more of them in our neck of the woods ??

Hope all is well with you, Robin.

Paul