web gear evolution?

gunner

i am trying to set up a display of an army soldiers web gear from WW1 through desert storm... i have completed my early war WW2 set and my early Vietnam advisor set... i have a good understanding of what middle vietnam looked like but i dont know anything on how to create a late vietnam m67 set ... or a WW1 set, Korea set, or anything after vietnam...

are there any links to pages on the forum that would show me some examples or does anyone want to post pictures of their sets that fall under my missing categories?

it would be much appreciated. i searched the site and the reference section too.

i am trying to set up a display of an army soldiers web gear from WW1 through desert storm... i have completed my early war WW2 set and my early Vietnam advisor set... i have a good understanding of what middle vietnam looked like but i dont know anything on how to create a late vietnam m67 set ... or a WW1 set, Korea set, or anything after vietnam...

are there any links to pages on the forum that would show me some examples or does anyone want to post pictures of their sets that fall under my missing categories?

it would be much appreciated. i searched the site and the reference section too.

To a certain extent the creation of groupings for Korea and Vietnam is still a fairly new part of militaria collecting , especially Korea. If you wade through our DISPLAYS forum - http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...hp?showforum=94 - you'll find some helpful info. But keep in mind that during the Korean War they mostly used WWII leftovers and thatnew clothing and gear developed for that war mostly did not get issued before the war ended. You can save some money by looking for the field gear dated 1945: that was made too late for use in WWII so it sells for less than stuff made before then.

For the Vietnam War: well, it seems as though by 67 they were using everything from WWII leftovers to new nylon gear, with a mixture of cotton sateen and ripstop poplin clothing. Go to Google, click on their IMAGES link and type in vietnam war source:life (all in small letters) and you will find some very handy photos which you can click on to enlarge (you can also use the same keywords with "vietnam" replaced with "korean").

New Romantic

For your basic WWI Doughboy display, you'll need the following

Uniform

1912 or 1917 Wool Service Coat

1912 Wool Breeches

M1917 Helmet

Wool Puttees

1917 or 1918 Trench boots- These run about $500+ but repros are available if you want to go that route

Equipment

M1910 cartridge belt

M1910 Canteen set

M1910 First aid pouch with dressing

M1910 Haversack and pack carrier

M1910 Shovel with cover

Corrected English Box Respirator

M1905 Bayonet with M1910 Scabbard or M1917 Bayonet with Scabbard ( The less expensive of the two )

Check the displays section which has quite a few WWI mannequins. Also my WWI US Website has lots of photos and info.

For your basic WWI Doughboy display, you'll need the following...

I was thinking that gear and uniforms for the WWI GI was so much more standardized than for Korean and Vietnam War GI's.

frederik.geudens

"Men-at-Arms 205 - US Army Combat Equipments 1910–88" immediately came to my mind... You might want to check it out.

New Romantic
i have completed my early war WW2 set

Since you're familiar with the gear used by US soldiers early in WWII then you have a basic idea of what accouterments you need for a WWI soldier. Everything is the same, just early variations of the haversack and belt. Check out Bay State Militaria. Scott may have everything you need to complete a WWI equipment set.

Here is a nice Later war Army M56 set that I just completed. You can always do different variations to the belt of course depending on what look you are going for but this one covers all the basics.

post-3273-1245790594.jpg

The Meatcan
1z6t53k.jpg

Here's mine The Bosnia through OIF is there, just another pic that I can't get to load

now that is a very cool display! excellent work! :thumbsup:

Terry

New Romantic
1z6t53k.jpg

Here's mine The Bosnia through OIF is there, just another pic that I can't get to load

Nice Steve! Looks like you have the evolution of field gear from 1918 and on covered :thumbsup: .

awesome input! ive been looking through a bunch of displays and theve been the most helpful, im realizing that you cant really go wrong with the way you set up the gear its just getting what you use right.

im having a little trouble with my early vietnam army advisor set... ill tell you what i have so far and explain my concerns and i hope you guys can help me out

a 50's era horizontal weave pistol belt

1959 dated m56 suspenders

2 m1910 canteens with early m56 cotton/ cotton trim canteen covers with alice keepers.

2 m56 Small Arms ammo pouches first pattern with metal front plates.

1 m56 1st aid pouch first pattern with no drain hole

1 45 ammo pouch, early but with alice keepers

1 black leather pistol holster

my questions are what would be the correct pistol holster for an advisor? and would they have had a m56 butt pack? am i missing anything or do i need to swap anything out?

Nice Steve! Looks like you have the evolution of field gear from 1918 and on covered :thumbsup: .

That picture is actually six months old, but most of the update since then has been pack filler items.

Here is the other wall with the Bosnia and OIF gear.

11r3vgn.jpg

The Meatcan

I'm a little hazy on modern webgear nomenclature. I know there's the M-1928 stuff, M-1945, M-1956, M-1967 and so on but what do you call any of the family of gear in use since the M-1975 ALICE stuff? :think: \

Perhaps a dumb question but could someone enlighten me please?

thanks,

Terry

After ALICE LC-1 and such, then it went to Load Bearing Vest or LBV. Then it morphed into MOLLE and now there is a whole sub culture of geardo equipment, but for now, it is generally known as MOLLE as the base.

I'm a little hazy on modern webgear nomenclature. I know there's the M-1928 stuff, M-1945, M-1956, M-1967 and so on but what do you call any of the family of gear in use since the M-1975 ALICE stuff? :think: \

thanks,

Terry

You left out the M1944. ;)

Nice displays Steve. :thumbsup: I wish I had the room as I have sold so many different sets in just the past year that it makes me sad sometimes :crying: to get rid of them, but the factory keeps spitting them out. :lol: Looks like you can go long range with that Thompson :o ..

Thanks. I hope we don't have anymore wars in my lifetime as I am running out of room for displays.

The Thompson is the only repro there, all of the others are fireable. I thought about buying a demilled real one, but to me, a non-firing weapon is like a condom with a hole in it, looks good, but not really worth having. Problem is that the last time I shot it, the rear sight came off, so it is going back to Kahr Arms soon to get fixed.

Thanks. I hope we don't have anymore wars in my lifetime as I am running out of room for displays.

The Thompson is the only repro there, all of the others are fireable. I thought about buying a demilled real one, but to me, a non-firing weapon is like a condom with a hole in it, looks good, but not really worth having. Problem is that the last time I shot it, the rear sight came off, so it is going back to Kahr Arms soon to get fixed.

You might want to put a GI stock with a dummy selector knob or switch on the M1A to make it look more like an M14.

Dustin

thanks,

Terry

ALICE is just ALICE. An alice rig is simply called an LCE (load carrying equipment) or LBE (load bearing equipment). People use the terms LC-1 and LC-2 to describe the version of a specific piece of gear. An LC-1 equipment belt has metal adjusters and a metal buckle (1970s), an LC-2 belt has metal adjusters and a metal buckle (1980s), plastic buckle (1980s-1990s), or fastex buckle (1990s-now). A rig that has a vest is called an LBV (load bearing vest).

Dustin

The Meatcan
After ALICE LC-1 and such, then it went to Load Bearing Vest or LBV. Then it morphed into MOLLE and now there is a whole sub culture of geardo equipment, but for now, it is generally known as MOLLE as the base.

thanks hawk - that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks pezboy for the additional info as well.

Terry