Gillie suits

kammo-man

A

Sniper suits do not come up that often .

I have also found the collectors for them are as elusive as the snipers themselfs .

o

A

I have also found the collectors for them are as elusive as the snipers themselfs .

o

Owen,

Thanks for verifying what I had always suspected about real ghille suits. I have only seen a handful in my collecting years and the ones I could afford I bought for my collection. Unfortunately, I missed a ghillie suit that had been used during Op. Just Casue (Panama). Darn auction went off when I was away from my computer. Oh well....

As far as ghillie suit collectors being elusive.....no comment! :lol:

Arch

• 9 months later...

Another one for my collection. Ths one was is very used. It is a basic woodland BDU that has been spray-painted tan and then modified for sniper application.

007.JPG

010.JPG

Close-up shots. Both sleeves have two pockets sewn on to them. Inside has a map pocket sewn in.

008.JPG

009.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
A

o

Real Deal Sniper suits aren't found often because of the type use they get, they rot away, the burlap is ripped off by thorns, the cloth is ripped up in rocks, and them who wear them hate them enough that they burn them when they are done with them.

The deal in Sniper School is you make your own and it's a rite of passage. One of the suits shown here is a commercial copy built on DCU material and would not be allowed in a B-4 class.

The original kit issued in the school had all the stuff you needed to make a suit, and you used the bag it came in for the skid plates. The glue is called "Shoe Goo" and is nasty stuff. Most of the guys at Ft. Benning went to the parachute rigger shed and worked a deal to have the skid plates sewed on as well as glued because if you didn't, the crap would pull off under hard use.

Suits stink because of sweat and the crappy mud and crud you crawl in, along with the vermin that crawl in and die. Some of us put the suits (yours, mine, and everybody elses) inside a small room and set off a bug bomb in it to kill the critters in the suits. The same sweat, mud, crud, and dead stuff is what rots the suits and gets them demilled after the owner gets tired of them.

One good crawl in a suit and you will see why the suit is the most hated piece of gear a Sniper can have. Good use of terrain is much better than a suit poorly used.

And Owen Sir, that is GHILLIE, not gillie. fwiw.

pwmiraldi67

heres 2 of mine, always looking for more, 1st one came out of Ft Lewis 2nd bat rangers, the other was a USMC snipers

paul

DSCN3075.jpg

DSCN3078.jpg

DSCN3070.jpg

DSCN3071.jpg

DSCN3074.jpg

DSCN3073.jpg

DSCN3072.jpg

TrenchfootJoe66

In 1991 I attended the 2nd Inf Division sniper course ( not DA approved course at the time so no modifier on my MOS GRRRR) Ghillie suit construction was a big part of the class. Unfortunately my suit never made it back to the states, thanks to some crooks in the shipping proces. My suit was gigged over and over again but I eventually got it right. Ive considered making a new one as my line of work these days sometimes requires me to do covert surveillance in rural areas. Keep posting those pics as Ive gotten some good ideas. BTW after the course I never again got a chance to put those skills to work. No place in our TO&E for a sniper at the company level.

Here is a pic of ours. 100% original made in America by a 12 year old. :lol: My son tied burlap knots for hours and hours it took him a couple of months.

joehomemade1.jpg

homemae2.jpg

joe3.jpg

TrenchfootJoe66
Any pictures ???

That would be great .

But I am sure you had other things on your mind !!!!

owen

I wish. I lost almost everything I had when I rotated home. I had a ton of stuff, pictures, etc etc. All of it gone. When I showed up at my next duty station I had one set of BDU's and that was it. I really sweated it when I left Germany several years later, I had spent alot of time and money collecting and relic huntiong in Germany. Luckily everything made it back that time.