R-1 Earphones

QED4

While at the flea market Monday I came across a guy with a table full of radio parts and pieces, mostly all civilian but did find a pair of R-14 earphones and also a pair marked R-1. I know the R-14s are military but have never seen a pair of R-1s, are they military or not, and if so what period?

post-55-1176950901.jpg

Dictograph made early recording apparatus. These headphones "were made in the 1923-1925 era" according to one source and the R-1 was Dictograph's model number, not a military designation although the military did use some Dictograph products.

Thanks, once again a reply in record time. Even though they are not military I guess they are worth $6.00, they should make good e-Bay fodder.

Thanks, once again a reply in record time. Even though they are not military I guess they are worth $6.00, they should make good e-Bay fodder.

They're worth $10-15. These kind work well with crystal radios.

ebay fodder indeed! and a second opinion which I am sure you do not need is that I agree with Bob.

aviaonics are all procured from the signal corp during WWII so most often they will be marked "signal corp" and/or have signal corp inspection stamps example being a red triangle or square about a 1/4" or so big with initials inside and if not on the out side check inside.