P-47 Propeller Blades

M1A1-1944

I have the opportunity to buy two original P-47 propeller blades. Does anyone know of an approximate value? I will post pictures when I can. Thanks, Ron.

Cobrahistorian
I have the opportunity to buy two original P-47 propeller blades. Does anyone know of an approximate value? I will post pictures when I can. Thanks, Ron.

Someone's been selling P-51 and Corsair blades on ebay for between $6000 and $8000 each, if that's any indicator. I'd say probably more towards the Corsair end of the spectrum.

Any idea what aircraft they came off?

Jon

Thanks Jon, I am not sure what model P-47 they are from but I am sure they are serial numbered and should be able to narrow down. -Ron

Someone's been selling P-51 and Corsair blades on ebay for between $6000 and $8000 each, if that's any indicator. I'd say probably more towards the Corsair end of the spectrum.

Any idea what aircraft they came off?

Jon

That sounds awefully high. Not quite the same, but I bought a propeller off of a Wellington Bomber Merlin X for $150 back in the late 1990's. Very cheap, I know, but I can't see these things going for that much, considering the surplus blades that can be found in salvage yards from time to time. Just my personal opinion.

-Ski

That sounds awefully high. Not quite the same, but I bought a propeller off of a Wellington Bomber Merlin X for $150 back in the late 1990's. Very cheap, I know, but I can't see these things going for that much, considering the surplus blades that can be found in salvage yards from time to time. Just my personal opinion.

-Ski

Totally agree here. I saw a single blade from a C47 priced at £95 here in the UK which at the time was about $170 (now more like $150). P47 prop blades would probably go for more but keep it in prospective. Don't get caught up buy someone telling you they are very rare as I'm fairly sure that this kind of thing is not THAT uncommon.

Good luck .

Rob

marineamtracer

Here is another thing that happened to cross my mind about value and how rare these may be. Now keep in mind I am just a Mud Marine (well more like Sand Marine) but anyway I digress my point is I am no aviation guru by any means...the P47 flew the Pratt and Whitney R2800. The same engine that was used in the B26, A26, Convair Transports, DC6, and others. My question; do you know that the prop from a 47 is different than any of these other airframes that used the R2800? I would assume it would be but who knows maybe it's the same as another format that is even more common. Just a thought I had....

Cobrahistorian
Here is another thing that happened to cross my mind about value and how rare these may be. Now keep in mind I am just a Mud Marine (well more like Sand Marine) but anyway I digress my point is I am no aviation guru by any means...the P47 flew the Pratt and Whitney R2800. The same engine that was used in the B26, A26, Convair Transports, DC6, and others. My question; do you know that the prop from a 47 is different than any of these other airframes that used the R2800? I would assume it would be but who knows maybe it's the same as another format that is even more common. Just a thought I had....

I absolutely agree with those figures being really high, was just stating what they're selling for on ebay, and we all know how reliable that is. As for the type of prop, are they Hamilton Standard or Curtiss Electric? The P-47 used both. The Curtiss Electrics were also used on B-26s and C-46s. That particular variant of the Ham Stand prop, I think was only used on the P-47, although I'd have to do a bit of research to confirm that. IIRC it was somewhat different from the F4U-4's 4-bladed prop. I'd love to get my hands on some blades for my museum room!

Jon

I did purchase the propeller blades. They were manufactured by Curtis Electric Propeller and are from the P-47. They are the initial blades used on the P-47 up to the model P-47D-22-RE which I think went into production mid to late 1943. The difference in the propeller was the blade shape which I think was changed to improve efficiency. These early blades had a narrow, pointed tip, and the later style was a paddleboard shaped, more rounded tip. They also started using the Hamilton Standard paddle shaped propeller when they switched to the Curtis paddle shape. When those planes with the paddleboard shaped props made it into service, I don't know. If someone has further information, please add. They are heavy, about 110 lbs a piece and are approximately 6' 7" long. The auctioneer found them in the home of an estate liquidation. They were standing on either side of a big fireplace. Someone made the three legged stands to enable them to stand upright. They wrap around the propeller and are not actually attached to it, so the prop was not altered in any way. These really are pretty neat and historical. Any comments welcome. -Ron

post-4155-1246204784.jpg

That is one nice blade :jeal0001: ! They were preserved / restored nicely also. These things are getting harder to come by all the time. If you got them for under a thousand you did real good. But I do not know the true value, that would depend on air worthiness. It they pass inspection, and after approved rebuild, they could be worth 5000 a pop. It just depends on availabilty of this pattern. Good score! Dave

Interesting stand for the props. I made a box with the diameter cut-out in the middle for my prop. It sits in the hole with the flange holding he weight. Worked out perfectly.

-Ski

post-3043-1246213983.jpg

The Meatcan

very cool item to add to one's collection!

Ski - your prop mounting method looks very clean and nicely presented. :thumbsup:

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

A reference to the new paddle blades was made by a European ace names Johnson (from oklahoma) who said he was never outperformed by a Spitfire once his aircraft was equiped with the new blade.