Very modified DCU, all insignia on Velcro!

T-Bone

First time I have seen one like this, ie ALL THE VELCRO.

Anyone know which units did this?

T-Bone

post-5772-1245527394.jpg

Supposedly units that saw the Close Combat Uniforms (CCUs) but weren't issued them, liked the Velcro feature so much they had their normal DCUs tailored with Velcro....oddly enough, I found one of these at the Wright-Patterson AFB thrift shop...didn't realize what it was at the time, but figured it was "odd" enough that I should pick it up and put in the"research later" pile....well, that and the $3.00 price tag....not sure how rare they are, but the few examples I've seen are always without any insignia...

Mark sends

I have one as well somewhere in my collection. Mine came from a surplus dealer out of North Carolina. Very odd jackets.

Arch

Those shoulder patches look about the right size and shape to fit an 82nd ABN with tab. The first one looks like it would of had NCO rank, and the second looks like an officer's rank.

Now why the long velcro patches lower on the sleeve? Flight line reflective tape? Very odd.

Could these have been produced to test the "all Velcro, all the time" concept before the new uniforms were designed?

Those shoulder patches look about the right size and shape to fit an 82nd ABN with tab. The first one looks like it would of had NCO rank, and the second looks like an officer's rank.

Now why the long velcro patches lower on the sleeve? Flight line reflective tape? Very odd.

I have seen some blood group tags on the sleeve in that area on the Multicam sets. BTW the MultiCam uniform made the cover of the Air Force 2009 Yearbook that Airman Quarterly puts out. I just had to smile.

T-Bone

3 sources come to mind

1-USSF/SOCOM seemed to regularly have these in Baghdad in 2004 when I was Stationed at CJ-SOTF's base(Udays Palace). the small velcro on the sleeve pocket body's allowed ODA team patches to be placed while on base.

2- Soldiers working the BIF's (Brigade Interrogation Facility)* would usually wear no identifying markings around the detainees while on duty.

3- Every now and then, a Joe would want to look different/Hi-Speed :whistling: and go to the Hadji tailor and get tricked out. Usually cost less than 20 bucks American.

*sent there to determine whether important enough to go further up the detainee line(Abu-G)

Darktrooper

I Worked In a Theater Internment Faciltity and we all had our DCU's Modified to have the Name tags velcroed on. Some people actually went all the way, like a fellow SGT I worked with, who had everything removeable rank, patches, etc.....

I have one very similar, it has velcro also for badges:

moddcu1.jpg

moddcu2.jpg

moddcu3.jpg

Any idea for what kid of patches and badges can go on that velcro?

I guess one

• 1 month later...
ABNRANGER1-75
First time I have seen one like this, ie ALL THE VELCRO.

Anyone know which units did this?

T-Bone

post-5772-1245527394.jpg

I have some SEAL TEAM UNIFORMS THAT Modified similiar. I have only seen the Navy use the velcro rank on the collar. However, I'm sure others did it. The velcro on the shoulders has me scratching my head. Almost looks like a Morale Patch area. Odd shape.

ABNRANGER1-75
Here are two that I have found. One near Anniston Army Depot and the other at Ft. Bragg. #1-

post-943-1245595647.jpg

Classic 3rd or 7th Group Modification. Flag on the right and 'Tower of Power' on the left side.