Confessions of a camouflage sickie...

Many thanks, Will- I guess you saw the Hospital Corps marked shelter half we talked about some time back?

Yeah, I remeber us talking about it! Very interesting piece, I've only seen utility jackets + pants and helmets marked with the white circle. Also, I'm in love with your parmarine flage demo bag! :w00t:

Will

WWII USMC & USN - CAMOUFLAGE / CORPSMAN / PARAMARINE / MARINE RAIDER / DENIM / DECK JACKETS.

VIETNAM - CAMOUFLAGE / SF / 'IN-COUNTRY' ITEMS.

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

Yeah, I remeber us talking about it! Very interesting piece, I've only seen utility jackets + pants and helmets marked with the white circle. Also, I'm in love with your parmarine flage demo bag! :w00t:

Will

Will:

Those 'flage doo-dads like the Demo Bag, Shovel Cover and Bazooka Carrier are the hardest to locate, at least in my experience; the Paramarine Trousers are the worst of the clothing items, and I still don't have 'em. Also, I neglected to mention that the camo-to-O.D. uniform is an Army item- I just threw it up here for the interest of another member of the "Flage Fraternity :DB)

The Shelter Half is the only item I've ever seen in person with the white circle and other markings- all else has been photos only. What about you- got any stuff that is so marked?

Support our troops...abandoning the War on Terror is not an affordable luxury.

I'm so old, I still call W.W.II U.S. militaria "war surplus".

God's blessings in the Name of our Lord Jesus- Jim Robertson

I sure enjoyed the photo's !!

You mentioned the Las Vegas Great Western; did you do the GW while it was in Pomona ?

Back in the 1980's, it seemed like there weren't as many of us with 782 & USMC camo sickness. The big-dough was being spent in other directions.

A lot of really nice WW2 USMC stuff turned up there in those days, including many items that were studio marked. - IIn those days, I used to turn up my nose at the wardrobe department items, but now I'd give my I - teeth to have a crack at things again.

I'm 55, and it sounds like our interests started at about the same time, and in the same way. - If I think about it, I can still smell a good surplus store !!

Best regards,

Paul Walker

Klamath Falls, Oregon

donation2009.gif

I sure enjoyed the photo's !!

You mentioned the Las Vegas Great Western; did you do the GW while it was in Pomona ?

Back in the 1980's, it seemed like there weren't as many of us with 782 & USMC camo sickness. The big-dough was being spent in other directions.

A lot of really nice WW2 USMC stuff turned up there in those days, including many items that were studio marked. - IIn those days, I used to turn up my nose at the wardrobe department items, but now I'd give my I - teeth to have a crack at things again.

I'm 55, and it sounds like our interests started at about the same time, and in the same way. - If I think about it, I can still smell a good surplus store !!

Best regards,

Paul Walker

Klamath Falls, Oregon

PAUL WALKER??????

I don't know if you remember me or not; Jim Robertson here: first ran into you and Perry at the old G.W. around 1990 and bought a set of M1944 camo pants ( stamped "Paramount Pictures") from you. You guys had an early '43 Jump Smock on the rack as well, which I couldn't afford at the time. Later, however, I closed a deal over the phone from Houston (where I lived at the time), and sent you guys $300.00 plus a few mint M-1 Helmet sets for the Smock and something else I can't recall. Did a fair amount of biz with you guys after that at the G.W. and over the phone, but that slacked off as the collection began topping out.

You can see that Smock in the picture where they are all clustered together, and it remains one of the cleanest 'flage pieces in the pile. The "Paramount" pants are in the shot of the '44 suit right next to the '42 suit, hanging on the curtain rack. I've had mental illness for U.S. W.W.II camo since I was 8 or 9 years old, but didn't score any of the really rare stuff until later years when I learned where to look.

Small world!! :thumbsup:

Hello Jim,

Thanks for making the connection to long ago for me. It's not the first time I've failed to look beyond a user name here on the forum, and later realized it was someone I've known from years past.

I sure do remember you, and those mint helmets too !! - Perry still has one of them in his collection, as a matter of fact. If I'm not mistaken, those steel pots still had the heavy paper squares between them, is that right ?

You sure have put together an impressive pile of camo gear there. - By the way, did you get that camo shovel cover from Perry and I too ? We had two of them in our inventory over the years, just curious if you ended up with one of them.

Best regards to you Jim.

Paul

donation2009.gif

Hey, Paul-

Yep, those pots all came with the thin cardboard between each one; bought/traded maybe 50 or so (some with O.D. #7 straps) from Bill Moore at Military Specialties in Connecticut, who still has a few left after all these years. I still have 3 khaki-straps and 2 green-straps from that pile of pots.

If my memory serves, the only 'flage items I bought from Cascade were the Smock and the '44 trousers. The Bazooka Carrier came from the late Christopher Bruner; the Shovel Cover from Ralph Olivieri on the East Coast; the Demo Bag and Reising Scabbards came from the Man From Missoula ;) ! Matter of fact, I think it was Hayes and Chris Bruner who scored that quantity of Reising Scabbards from a surplus store, and thence distributed them to the 'flage-buying public.

Is the General Store still open? Ever since the demise :thumbdown: of the Great Western Show, it's been a little tough to stay abreast of who's doing what these days...

Here's a better shot of your and Perry's Smock- it's the one at upper left:

post-3226-1248137072.jpg

The reason the '41 Rucksack is in this display is that Doug Bailey informed me that Rucksacks were issued to a number of Marine Paratroopers, and some were actually used by them in their actions with the O.S.S. in Europe. The pack in the photo has a Marine's namestamp in 3 different places.

As a WWII USMC dress uniform collector, I havent strayed much from my comfort zone, so I dont have an advanced knowledge of WWII camoflage but I just wanted to let you know that I am extremely impressed by such an advanced collection! :thumbsup:

Cpl James A Paris, USMC
Stinger Missile Gunner
H&S Co. Support Bn MCRDSD 2002-2003

MarDet Ft Bliss, TX 2003
2nd Plt 1st Stinger Btry, Okinawa 2003-2004
2nd Plt A Btry 3rd LAAD BN Camp Pendleton, CA 2004-2006

Please visit my blog: http://ourcountrysheroes.blogspot.com/

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

Many thanks, Gunner :thumbsup: I'm assuming that your Forum signature is your Military record...God bless all you guys, and heartfelt thanks for your service to our Nation- and for blessing other nations, for that matter :bravo: :bravo:

Here's a better shot of your and Perry's Smock- it's the one at upper left:

post-3226-1248137072.jpg

The reason the '41 Rucksack is in this display is that Doug Bailey informed me that Rucksacks were issued to a number of Marine Paratroopers, and some were actually used by them in their actions with the O.S.S. in Europe. The pack in the photo has a Marine's namestamp in 3 different places.

Hi Jim,

That smock still looks great - the back story on it was that I had it and a like-condition green one in my own collection. Perry & I were selling a couple of key pieces of from own collections to help pay for the final costs of restoration of our halftrack. I came darn near keeping the camo smock, and selling the green one. I'm glad it worked out the way it did, because it truly went somewhere that it's been appreciated.

I stopped at Hayes' place six summers ago, and he had left just a couple of the most extensively used Reising pouches that he and Chris had originally picked up. - I don't recall how many there were to begin with, but quite a few I believe. - I still have lots of great memories of Chris, and truly miss his friendship and kidding back and forth with him.

When Perry and I received one box of helmets from you, there were two that we couldn't get seperated, without running the risk of scarring the finish on one or both. I'd sure like to have a video of he and I sitting on a rug trying to pull those shells apart with our finger tips. It makes me laugh just thinking about it.

Anyway, I honestly don't know who came up with the idea, but we have both claimed it over the years, - after fiddling around with them off and on for several days, we finally stuck the two helmets in a freezer for a couple of hours, and presto !! They lifted apart like there'd never been a problem !! Those pots were all beauties, for sure !

Perry still has the store, antique mall, and internet auctions going. - I'm 65 miles east of him, but we see each other every week or so. He's doing well, and we still get out and beat the brush together. I'll be talking to him tomorrow, and will mention that you and I have been visiting.

Until later Jim,

Best regards,

Paul

donation2009.gif

Will:

Those 'flage doo-dads like the Demo Bag, Shovel Cover and Bazooka Carrier are the hardest to locate, at least in my experience; the Paramarine Trousers are the worst of the clothing items, and I still don't have 'em. Also, I neglected to mention that the camo-to-O.D. uniform is an Army item- I just threw it up here for the interest of another member of the "Flage Fraternity :DB)

The Shelter Half is the only item I've ever seen in person with the white circle and other markings- all else has been photos only. What about you- got any stuff that is so marked?

Hi 'Flage,

Unfortunately I don't have any such marked uniforms or equipment! At least not with the famed white circle. Some of the others guys on here may have - GICOP and DocRick spring to mind! I've seen helmets, jackets and trousers marked, your shelter half is the only one of its kind I've encountered!

Again, wonderful display.

Will

WWII USMC & USN - CAMOUFLAGE / CORPSMAN / PARAMARINE / MARINE RAIDER / DENIM / DECK JACKETS.

VIETNAM - CAMOUFLAGE / SF / 'IN-COUNTRY' ITEMS.

• 3 months later...
Viewing your collection was beyond amazing. Well done sir!!!! I do hope there is a worthy museum that you have listed as a beneficiary of all your effort and money and time.

Cheers,

Capa

Thanks very much, Capa; I realize that this stuff won't last forever, and I won't take so much as a toothbrush with me when it's my time to stand before God, but I intend to make every effort to insure a good destination for the Marine Corps stuff above, as well as the Army gear, with the proceeds directed to needy family members.

• 6 months later...
Here's the "wierd" smock, which I picked up from Bruce and Tina Herman at the last Great Western Show they had in Las Vegas. Note knife pouch at lower pocket; there are tailor's pencil marks where some of the snaps should be...an abandoned concept maybe?

post-3226-1245385650.jpg

That smock looks to be the same one george herman owned back in 1999,

I still have a copy of the catalog with the smock on the cover. I have a second pattern helmet cover it looks to be ok except under black light , the tan side

akes on this weird purple color, what gets me is that the thing has moth tracks in it.

When i put the black light to my movie studio stamped second pattern trousers

itdoes not turn purple :think: :think: Wats up with that??????? If you would ever

cosider selling a first or second pattern please email me at mmjv@cox.net psalm 91

• 1 month later...
My bank account begs to differ! :P

:lol: I remember thinking that $50.00 was way high for a mint W.W.II M.C. Helmet Cover. We didn't know how good we had it back then!

I feel sorry for anyone starting out on H.B.T. 'flage collecting now, with the prices and reproductions being what they are.