Dumb(?) Question regarding Invasion Armbands

currahee506

currahee506

Greetings all.

I have a question that I am sure has an easy answer...

Were Invasion Armbands just for the Airborne?

I have an amazing armband I found in an antique store, truly one that has been there. On the opposite side, the soldier listed the name of every city he passed through. It belonged to a Captain Engle - all I know.

Thanks in advance.

Rich

Guest Chris
Greetings all.

I have a question that I am sure has an easy answer...

Were Invasion Armbands just for the Airborne?

I have an amazing armband I found in an antique store, truly one that has been there. On the opposite side, the soldier listed the name of every city he passed through. It belonged to a Captain Engle - all I know.

Thanks in advance.

Rich

Rich;

I believe most D-day invasion units wore the oil cloth armband. They were not just for airborne troops.

Chris

currahee506
Rich;

I believe most D-day invasion units wore the oil cloth armband. They were not just for airborne troops.

Chris

Thanks.

I am still 'photo challenged', so...

On the back of the armband, the soldier wrote:

France, August 15, 1944. Under it, in descending order are the following:

Calavarie

Cogolin

Brignoles

St. Maximin

Aix

Lambesc

Cavaillon

Apt

Avignon

Carpentras

Orange

Valreas

Montelimar

Valence

Voiron

Bourg

Sans-le-Saulnier

Besancon

Vesoul

Luxiel

Remiremont

Anyone have any ideas as to what Division, Regiment ect. this might be?

Fixbayonets!

I also have an invasion armband as part of an exstensive 9th Infantry Division group. He was an artillery officer who took part in Operation Torch. He wore the armband from November 8th - 11th, 1942 during the landing at Safi, Morroco. The armband is made of cotton and like yours he wrote his information on the reverse.

Rob

Yes armbands were worn by non-Airborne personnel. Fixbayonets above is correct that they were worn during OPERATION TORCH, the invasion of N. Africa in November 42. The 1st, 3rd, 9th and 34th ID (a NG division), as well as other support troops (65th AFA comes to mind) as do some military railway service units. participated in TORCH. You can see this on almost any video footage of TORCH. Read AN ARMY AT DAWN, which won a Pulziter prize for the author.

88thcollector
The 3rd I.D. wore them during Operation Dragoon. :) Here is a great pic......

http://www.dogfacesoldiers.org/d_day/xxxx-12.htm

\

We have a couple of worn and heavily soiled ones that the soldier wrote their names and whereabouts. Will post images if anyone wants to see them. I am looking for a Normandy ID'd one for my son if anyone has one. Can't buy one this month but if there is one out there.