Blanket Roll Straps

New Romantic

New Romantic

There hasn't been any early items posted here lately so I thought I'd post some blanket roll straps from 1902-1910. I can't recall anyone posting them on this forum though I do remember RayG posted a set on the old gun boards a few years back.

Students of early 20th Century US Militaria are aware that in 1902 blanket roll straps became issue items. In the mid to late 19th Century soldiers were issued a knapsack which was worn on the back. In the case of the 1860's through early 1870's this was the double bag knapsack as used by Federal soldiers during the Civil War. From the early 1870's through 1874 the Army experimented with and issued two brace yoke equipments- the 1872 and 1874 pattern equipment. The 1872 equipment had a valise which was worn in the middle back, attached to the 1872 equipment's brace yoke. With the 1874 equipment a clothing bag was suspended on the left back hip. The blanket roll was secured by two straps and worn on the mid back. From the Civil War era double bag knapsack through the 1874 Clothing Bag soldiers despised the prescribed manner of carrying equipment. Thus many resorted to the time honoured blanket roll.

The feelings toward the blanket roll remained the same with the issue of the 1878 blanket Bag and the Merriam Pack which was used by state militias. When soldiers were mobilized for the war with Spain in 1898, many preferred the old blanket roll rather than the issue packs. Eventually the Army decided to make the blanket roll an official part of the soldiers' ensemble and a set of blanket roll straps began issue in 1902.

New Romantic

These are a set of 1904-1910 russet leather blanket roll straps. The straps consisted of three main parts- two straps to bind the ends of the blanket roll, one of which has a strap with hook to attach to the other; and a third strap which was used to bind the middle of the blanket roll. All three of these straps are marked to the 15th Infantry.

post-599-1245254382.jpg

New Romantic

I also have a set of straps which I believe are the earlier 1902-1903 issue. These are not russet leather but leather which had been dyed a dark brown. They are narrower than the russet straps and have a different hook and buckles.

post-599-1245254642.jpg

post-599-1245254648.jpg

post-599-1245254654.jpg

New Romantic

The blanket roll was used exclusively with the 1903 pattern equipment and would continue use among National Guard units through the 1910's. Once the entire US Army had been equipped with the M1910 equipment by 1918, the blanket roll disappeared forever among the ranks of America's soldiers.

If anyone has any photos please post them! WWI Nerd where are you?

Here is a pic of my 1903 gear, the blanket roll straps are at the top. The middle strap is just out of the picture.

Tim

post-192-1245256767.jpg

New Romantic

Thanks for the additional images Tim :thumbsup: . Are your blanket roll straps marked RIA? My russet straps aren't, just inspector marks near the end on the backside.

Any idea if my narrower dark brown straps are the earlier 1902 issue? Those need a good treatment of Pecards.

New Romantic
Mine are marked RIA 1904. I think the older "black" leather ones are the 1902's.

Tim

Thanks Tim, you think Pecards will bring them back to life? I've never used the stuff.

I try not to do to much in regards to the leather equipment I have. I've heard different opinions about wether to apply any oil or Pecards. Some say you will shorten the remaining life of the leather. I think the best bet is to leave it alone and keep it stored in a cool dry place. I'm sure we'll hear many differing opinions on the subject ;)

Tim

Speaking of blanket straps. I have a set of pre 1900 blanket straps that are black leather with black japanned hardware.

Also here is a Williams patent tent which was patent'd in 1898 and issued into early 1900. The tent was setup using the Williams patent's straps and they were also used to secure the rolled tent and contents for over the shoulder transporting. Ray

69e1q8.jpg

New Romantic
Speaking of blanket straps. I have a set of pre 1900 blanket straps that are black leather with black japanned hardware.

Also here is a Williams patent tent which was patent'd in 1898 and issued into early 1900. The tent was setup using the Williams patent's straps and they were also used to secure the rolled tent and contents for over the shoulder transporting. Ray

Ray can you post a photo of the pre 1900 blanket straps?

Thanks for adding your shelter half. I had PM'd Keystone last week and he provided the same info and illustrations of the Williams tent plus detail shots of his early shelter half.

Ray can you post a photo of the pre 1900 blanket straps?

Sorry NR, but the straps are on one of my mannequins also, and the mannequin is at such an angle and close to the USMC one were there's no space to get at them to take photos of them, and it would be sort of a major project to remove them just for photos. Hope you understand, Ray

35cfwpi.jpg

Here's the best I can do without being able to get in the back. The black dye on the leather has faded somewhat and you can see the metal is japanned. Ray

npro29.jpg

New Romantic

Thanks for posting your pre 1900 straps Ray. Those are the same straps I have which posted in Post 5. I had thought those were the 1902-1903 straps. So when did the earlier straps begin issue?

By the way have you ever heard of or seen an 1890's experimental brace yoke which centered on the blanket roll? I saved some photos from eBay and I will post that in a separate topic later.