Autographed books

ABrangerjoe

About 10 years ago a good friend who was a medal collector (like me) and a retired USAF Lt.Col. passed away. Based on his written instructions, the family contacted me to buy his collection. They also made me buy a bunch of his books, which I really didn't want. One of them was this very common book on the Medal of Honor. However I was very pleasantly surprised when I got it home and opened it up...

post-10651-1269559446.jpg

Apparently my good buddy had attended a Medal of Honor recipient convention and took this book with him. Inside the front cover were the signatures of no less than three dozen Medal of Honor recipients!

post-10651-1269559688.jpg

General Apathy
Apparently my good buddy had attended a Medal of Honor recipient convention and took this book with him. Inside the front cover were the signatures of no less than three dozen Medal of Honor recipients!

Hi Adam, congratulations, there's less and less chance to get that many signatures and of these guy's, you have a book to treasure there.

Seventh down from the top in the far right column is Ernest Childers 45th Div, MOH winner Italian campaign, Ernest took me to my first MOH meeting in 1998 and gave me a big fat book of medal winners names and stories, at the end of the evening I walked around and gathered signatures of the assembled medal winners.

Ernest passed away a couple of years ago, and possibly so have a fair few more of the signatories signed in your book.

One that is still alive as far as I know is John Finn one of the first winners of WWII, Pearl Harbor 7th December 1941.

Cheers Lewis

Hi Adam, congratulations, there's less and less chance to get that many signatures and of these guy's, you have a book to treasure there....

One that is still alive as far as I know is John Finn one of the first winners of WWII, Pearl Harbor 7th December 1941.

Cheers Lewis

Lewis,

Thanks for the comments. Sadly, I think most of them have passed away by now. However John Finn seems to be going strong at 100 yeas of age!

God bless them all.

A.

kriegsmodell

Thought I would add a couple more to this string. One I've had for a while and one that I just received. Band of Brothers, Corporal Forrest Guth's The Way We Were. Great read with lots of photographs (some color) , many that I had never seen. Guth was an original E. Company man with the 506th PIR, 101st Airborne from Overlord to the end. I had the honor of meeting Mr. Guth a few years ago at the Show of Shows. What a great and humble man who spent hours talking to folks that waited in line. By the time I got to him he had sold all of his books so I had to scramble around and find a copy from one of the book sellers at the show!

post-3151-1269710308.jpg

kriegsmodell

Although I had to buy his book from someone else, Mr. Guth was more than happy to sign the title page as pictured below. I highly recommend this book.

post-3151-1269710237.jpg

kriegsmodell

Just received this one to add to the MACVSOG library: Whisky Tango Foxtrot by RT Idaho 1-0 Lynne M. Black Jr. This is a great companion work to John Meyer's books with experiences from the same team. Black ran recon out of FOB-1 and CCN. Prior to serving with RT Idaho he ran with ST Alabama.

post-3151-1269711186.jpg

kriegsmodell

The title page as signed by Mr. Black. Note that he signed it - From "Blackjack" which was Black's recon code name.

post-3151-1269711354.jpg

TrenchfootJoe66
The title page as signed by Mr. Black. Note that he signed it - From "Blackjack" which was Black's recon code name.

Ok, before I thought we just had the similiar interests, now I think your stalking me. Got the Guth book a few years ago at an airshow and was lucky enough to get him to sign it.

BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY!!!!!!! Where did you get that book by Black!! I thought I had most if not all of the SOG bases covered and you pull this one out of your hat. Please tell me the book is new. Id hate to think Ive been so slack as to not get wind of this before now. And just to show you that the game is still afoot here's one I havent seen you post yet. And my copy of Guth's book.

post-10797-1269739018.jpg

post-10797-1269739047.jpg

kriegsmodell
Ok, before I thought we just had the similiar interests, now I think your stalking me. Got the Guth book a few years ago at an airshow and was lucky enough to get him to sign it.

BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY!!!!!!! Where did you get that book by Black!! I thought I had most if not all of the SOG bases covered and you pull this one out of your hat. Please tell me the book is new. Id hate to think Ive been so slack as to not get wind of this before now. And just to show you that the game is still afoot here's one I havent seen you post yet. And my copy of Guth's book.

JW,

I think this is the first time I've been accused of stalking but have been blamed for worse! I hope you agree the Guth book is well worth the price. You got me on the Greco book. I have both Running Recon and Kontum - Command and Control but neither is signed. Nice hit there.

I will send you a PM on the Black book. It is new and still available ....

TrenchfootJoe66

Yeah, the Guth book was a real treat. Its funny but I dont remember how my copy of Greco's book ended up being a signed copy. I ordered it like you would normally and I think it just showed up like that. Ive contatcted Meyer and that one is getting mailed out shortly. I also just sent an email to Black. If you have any other contact info for SOG authors who are cool with that sort of thing, please PM with them, I would really appreciate it

JW

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
kriegsmodell

As I am sure many of you know Major General John K. Singlaub (ret) was one of the honored guests at this years Show of Shows in Louisville, Kentucky. A distinguished and highly decorated leader Singlaub was involved in Special Opearations during three wars and an unknown number of Cold War skirmishes. Singlaub served as an OSS Jedburgh making covert insertions in both the ETO and PTO. Transitioning from the OSS to CIA, Singlaub served in Manchuria during the Chinese Communist revolution. During the Korean War he was the CIA's Deputy Chief of Station and served as a battalion commader in the Third Infantry Division. In Vietnam he was one of only four men to command MACVSOG as Chief SOG. He was later involved in other Cold War affairs to include Central America and support to the Contras in Nicaragua during the Reagan adminstration. His career stretches over an amazing period of greater than 40 years of service to America and her allies. Pictured below is a hardback copy of Singlaub's 1991 autobiography: Hazardous Duty - An American Soldier in the Twentieth Century. A great read if you have an interest. Additional information on Singlaub and his book can be found at the link below:

http://www.generalsinglaub.com/

I was unable to attend this year's show but a family member waited in line to have my book signed.

post-3151-1274640640.jpgpost-3151-1274640660.jpg

kriegsmodell

Closeup photograph of the inscription from Major General Singlaub with his former title of Chief SOG.

post-3151-1274640850.jpg

I have a few, this one is one of my favorites.

Laidley's Rifle Firing 1879 inscribed to Pitman of the "Pitman Notes"

157385742.jpg

157385726.jpg

• 4 years later...
439th Signal Battalion

One of several. This one is signed by LTG Hal Moore and CSM Plumley and a close friend who is the Command historian for the US Army Infantry and Ft. Benning.

post-4009-0-17380600-1415665404.jpg post-4009-0-46306100-1415665452.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A nice collection of autographs here. I only have 2 books that are autographed.

First one is "Islands of the Damned" signed by RV Burgin of K-3-5.

post-154874-0-58079900-1416602768.jpg

Next is "Voices of the Pacific" signed by the author Adam Makos and two USMC vets. Art Pendleton who was on Guadalcanal and New Britain with H-2-1 and Dan Lawler who was on Pelelui and Okinawa with K-3-5.

post-154874-0-21265300-1416603554.jpg

Great autographs guys! I have a few autographed books, but thought you might like to see this one that I had signed many years ago. (WHoops, I just noticed that I already posted General Gavin's signature. Sorry!)

post-203-0-31249700-1416665252.jpg

post-203-0-57380000-1416665251.jpg

I have a couple to share: Book #1 "Clear The Bridge" by Dick O'Kane. I corresponded with Dick quite a bit in the early 1980's and he was always quick to respond to a bunch of questions from a young fan. On a side note, I purchased a copy of the same book from Dick (proceeds benefitted the US Sub Vets) and he was gracious enough to autograph it. I donated the book to the St. Petersburg (Fl) Public Library where it promptly got trashed.

Book #2 "War Fish" by George Grider, though the book is well worn and he misspelled my last name, I still treasure it dearly. BTW it's a really great book that follows Grider from the USS Wahoo, to the Pollack, Hawkbill, and the Flasher.

post-35406-0-52563300-1416684474.jpgpost-35406-0-64394200-1416684489.jpgpost-35406-0-23288800-1416684503.jpgpost-35406-0-96282300-1416684530.jpg