Autographed books

ABrangerjoe

ABrangerjoe

Hey everyone, I'm sure most of you out there have got some signed books- let's see them! And also if you don't mind, tell us how you got it. I've only got a few and will post them shortly

Thanks! -Joe

The last one, signed by US veterans, I bought last week in Normandy...

"Tonight we die as men", signed by Bill Galbraith, 506th PIR, 101st Airborne Division and Manny Barrios 506th PIR, 101st Airborne Division. Two fantastic lads! :thumbsup:

rgds

Bart

EasyRed1944

Here is my book with one page full of autographs.

Many are from Normandy vacations, some from the battle of the bulge anniversaries.

The 1st inf div is from the museum in France.

Nick094.jpg

Nick098.jpg

Nick099.jpg

Nick100.jpg

Nick101.jpg

ABrangerjoe
Also i got one from Richard Winters, but i got that framed .

No way! that's great I've always wanted to get my copy of Band of Brothers signed by him, but he won't accept or sign any more unless you're a close friend, too bad I'm not. But that is awesome ;)

ABrangerjoe

Here are a few of mine, my favorite is John McCain's book, my freshman year of HS (back when everyone was still running) out of every candidate I picked John McCain and wrote him often. I was the only student to get a response and a signed book! Next is the book by Michael Hirsh, None Braver. Moment of Truth in Iraq by Michael Yon, Out of the Depths by David and Edgar Harrell. And The Beast Was Out There by Gen. Shelton, and Pearl Harbor by Allan Seiden which was signed by Pearl Harbor survivors on a trip to Hawaii a few years ago.

post-5137-1245085739.jpg

post-5137-1245085767.jpg

post-5137-1245085828.jpg

post-5137-1245086011.jpg

post-5137-1245086022.jpg

frederik.geudens

I am a great fan of signed books, especially if I get the author to sign it myself. Below are a couple of my signed books.

1. US Marine Corps Uniforms 1912-1940 (Jim Moran)

Jim Moran's second book on USMC uniforms (softcover). I bought this at the War & Peace Show in Beltring. The book was already signed by the author.

post-5198-1245089715.jpg post-5198-1245089724.jpg

frederik.geudens

2. US Marine Corps Uniforms & Equipment in World War 2 (Jim Moran)

Jim Moran's first book on USMC uniforms (hardcover). I bought this book at the War & Peace Show in Beltring from the author himself. Jim was attending the show with his wife and their daughter Tara.

post-5198-1245090142.jpg post-5198-1245090151.jpg

frederik.geudens

3. Moon Dash Warrior (Delano Cummings)

This is a book of a native American who served as a Marine in the Vietnam War. I bought this book from the author who was selling them at the Vietnam Memorial in Washington, DC.

post-5198-1245090664.jpg post-5198-1245090678.jpg

frederik.geudens

4. Jihad! (Tom Carew)

This is a story in itself. This book was published in the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks by a guy who called himself Tom Carew. In this autobiographic book he describes his adventures as a member of the British SAS with the mujehadeen during the Afghan-Russian war in the 1980's. He even appeared on the BBC to talk about his book. Later it turned out that he never served with the SAS. (see http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2001/nov/15/books.september11).

I knew the author in person (also under an alias) years before he wrote this book. As you can see, he signed with both "Tom Carew" and "Phil", the latter being the first name I used to know him by.

Unfortunately "Tom Carew" was found dead earlier this year.

post-5198-1245091470.jpg post-5198-1245091476.jpg

I returned a Bronze Star to a nephew, and he sent me this book. I can only assume it is a real autograph. He found it at a used book store and didn't notice the autograph until he got home. I know Bradley's autographs started to look like this during his last days.

-Ski

post-3043-1245103350.jpg

post-3043-1245103361.jpg

I consider this one priceless. My buddy in the UK gave me this book, which was his Uncle's. His uncle is Sid Blackmore who I met years ago and just saw him on the Secret History episode about Arnhem. He was a British Paratrooper in the 2nd Battalion at the bridge. This book features over 20 autographs of paratroopers who were there. It was signed at a reunion many years ago. Needless to say,it is one of my prized possesions.

-Ski

post-3043-1245103610.jpg

post-3043-1245103615.jpg

Manchu Warrior

"The Man Who Flew the Memphis Belle" signed by Col. Robert Morgan at the air show at Andrews Air Force Base back in 2003 may he RIP.

post-1412-1245105039.jpgpost-1412-1245105145.jpg

Great thread! Keep 'em coming!

Many years ago, I contacted a few well known WWII vets and asked for their autograph. Here is one of the better known vets that I contacted, General James M. Gavin.

post-203-1245114962.jpg

ItemCo16527

I don't have pictures of them at the moment, but I have Norman Schwarzkopf's It Doesn't Take a Hero and one of Richard Marcinko's Rogue Warrior books autographed. They were both incredibly nice, down-to-Earth people, and these books are two of my most valued possessions.

Collecting autographs from vets, was one of my favorites activities 30+ years ago

I attended many 101st and 82nd reunions, here in Belgium, in holland and in France.

Several vets have signed my books twice, at an interval of 15 to 20 years.

I have also acquired WWI Divisionnal histories with dramatic signatures and annotations.

Please, have a look ang give ly your impressions.

Teufelhund.

11t1pa8.jpg

1079o55.jpg

15r08d5.jpg

2zdyq2s.jpg