32nd Division Colonel's leather case

Jeffrey Magut

Jeffrey Magut

I found two leather cases which I think are gun cases. They have 32nd Division insignia painted on both sides. On the bottom of the case is written Col F.R. McCoy U.S. Army".

post-121-1245005177.jpg

Jeffrey Magut

I did find one officer named McCoy attached to 32nd Division in WWI. Frank Ross McCoy was on the General Staff and was named to 63rd Infantry Brigade in 1918 with the rank of Brig. General. His bio:

Born at Lewistown, Pennsylvania, on October 29, 1874, he graduated from West Point in 1897, from the Army War College in 1908, received an L.L.D. degree from Princeton , Yale, Columbia, Brown and Clark Universities, and Washington & Jefferson College.

He was commissioned a second lieutenant, cavalry, 1897 and advanced through the grades to Major General, aide to President Theodore Roosevelt, 1906. He was wounded in action at San Juan Hill in the Spanish-American War, and fought the Moros in the Philippines Insurrection.

He joined the General Headquaters, American Expdittionary Force (AEF) in June 1917 as Assistant to the Chief of Staff in France. He commanded the 63rd Infantry Brigade in some of the last battles of World War I in France. In 1929, he was named Chairman of the Commission of Inquiry and Conciliation (Bolivia and Paraguay) which settled the Gran Chavo War. He retired as a Major General in 1938 while commanding the 1st U.S. Army and II Corps Area, Governors' Island, New York. In 1939 he was President of the prestigious Foreign Policy Association and during World War II was President of the Military Commission which tried and convicted German sabotuers who landed in the United States.

He died in Washington, D.C. on June 4, 1954 and was buried in Section 21 of Arlington National Cemetery