USMC M41 Jacket

craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

While looking for the poncho pics I also found this interesting marking. It appears to be the USMC version of the M41 Jacket with a very bold USMC stencil on the back. The Marine is to the left side of the wide pic.

post-5-1162231954.jpg

post-5-1162231967.jpg

Greg Robinson

I've seen a few USMC issue field jackets that had name and unit markings stencilled across the back. It was typical with them. But I really don't believe they had a USMC specific M1941 jacket. I own a book published in 1944 called "Boot" that has a photograph of Marine "boots" marching away from the supply building all wearing brand new M1941 field jackets with "cutter tags" all over them and no special markings on the exterior. And there was an M1941 sold by a dealer last year that had Marine unit/name markings stencilled across the back and the spec tag inside the pocket looked like standard US Army contract and nomenclature info. My guess is that during WW2 the Marines were content to purchase such items from the Army. Later, during peacetime they made their own. They did manufacture their own M1950 and M1951 field jackets at the Phila Depot. But during the buildup for the Korean War, they contracted out the manufacture of M1951 field jackets and liners.

Here's pics of my Phila Depot M1951 field jacket.

post-4-1162237825.jpg

post-4-1162237891.jpg

Yes, as Greg says, standard Army pattern "Parsons" M41 jacket was worn by the USMC but want to bet a few USN M41 pattern jackets were also worn by them. Because the USMC would have had easier access to Navy stock than Army Stock wouldnt they?

Greg Robinson

You'd think that would be the case and probably was early in the war. But by 1943 the Army contract M1941 "OD field jacket" had become more or less standard issue for Marines at boot camp. Here's a pic of the Navy jacket Lloyd is referring to.

post-4-1162244337.jpg

post-4-1162244397.jpg

• 1 year later...
USMC RAIDER COLLECTOR

I have a good friend that was with the 5th Marine Division, 26TH Regiment, 2nd Battalion, Co. E. He still has his Marine Corps issued Army 1941 Parsons jacket. It was issued to him in boot camp. It has his name stenciled across the back. This was done aboard ship on the way to Iwo Jima. He said they were given die cut stencils and black ink. ..I hope you guys find this helpfull..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
craig_pickrall

That is a great pic. Very unusual to see them with a breast patch.

Here are some photos of an Army M1941 that was used by a Marine in China shortly after the war. This fits in well with Craig's series of pictures of the early Occupation. I don't know anything about Master Technical Sergeant Harold D. Peak, so any information would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

post-129-1204735316.jpg

This is the interior, hopefully showing the 1" stencil of his name below the collar and above the hem. There are also three 1/4" stamps of his name on the inner fly.

Jim

post-129-1204735591.jpg

Here is the leather name tag on the left breast. The English reads "MT SGT. HAROLD D. PEAK, U.S.M.C., CHINWANGTAO TIENTSIN, CHINA 1946". I presume the Chinese characters are a translation. The tag reminds me of those worn on flight suits and jackets with wings, so he may have been aviation.

Jim

post-129-1204736012.jpg

craig_pickrall

That is a great jacket, especially since it is so well identified.

• 2 months later...
'Flage Guy

As soon as I learn how to upload photos, I'll send a shot of one of my '41s. It's in mint condition, sized 40L, complete with spec tag featuring Army contract numbers (starting with "W66...etc., not "NOM"), but it has a very fine-lettered "USMC" stamp at the inside lower hem. Bought it from a friend in Sacramento years ago for $100.00 (tells you how long ago this was); was looking it over one day, and saw that stencil. I'm thinking that this wasn't done at the manufacturer, but by military personnel preparing requisitions for the Marine Corps. I don't know if this was done on all 41s issued to Marines; advanced Marine collector Doug Bailey told me once that he has seen this before as well, but he's the only one I know who has. Any of you guys seen this?

• 1 year later...

Here it is. Better late than never... :rolleyes: Any of you guys seen this before? This can't be the only one ever marked like this...

post-3226-1244865781.jpg

• 1 year later...
I thought these were Army jackets, but are they Navy instead?

This has been posted previously on another forum.

The Navy had their own jacket. called N-1 or N41 jackets (ive seen both names)

Only real difference is that the N41 doesnt have waist of cuff adjustors. USN stencil. different collar adjustors. Other than that, the only other thing is the larger Green buttons used.

• 5 months later...

See the picture in post 10 of the 5th div Marine.He has rank stripes.The USMC would use there own stripes and not army issue rank.

RD