Unknown patch

bruv

Do any of you recognize this patch? I picked this uniform up yeaterday and can't figure out what it is. Any ideas?

Dave

post-508-1244867945.jpg

post-508-1244867951.jpg

post-508-1244867957.jpg

post-508-1244867963.jpg

post-508-1244868104.jpg

post-508-1244868111.jpg

kyhistorian01

I have looked through two books I have on American patches and I can't find anything on your patch. It may be an early NATO patch and from the stripes it would be from the very early 1950s. I would suggest you try to find a source for NATO patches this may help you ID it. Nice uniform!!

Nice occupation era Ike.The Presidential Unit Citation and Occupation ribbon appear greman made.I would say your patch has a connection to the US Army Europe patch as the outer border has the colors of that patch

RD

vintageproductions

This patch, I believe was identified in ASMIC a few years ago. I am going purely by memory, but it was a Radio broadcasting unit, or something along those lines. Tredhed would know for sure.

Hey, that is progress. Which one of these is a presidential unit citation? With the jacket came about 50 letters home and some pictures of the owner in the uniform. He was there during the war, and he must have stayed on a bit after. I haven't had a chance to go through the letters yet. Perhaps there will be a clue there. The jacket is dated 1947, I think, (without looking again) and came with 2 shirts and pants.

Dave

DwightPruitt
Hey, that is progress. Which one of these is a presidential unit citation? With the jacket came about 50 letters home and some pictures of the owner in the uniform. He was there during the war, and he must have stayed on a bit after. I haven't had a chance to go through the letters yet. Perhaps there will be a clue there. The jacket is dated 1947, I think, (without looking again) and came with 2 shirts and pants.

Dave

Is there a return address on the envelopes? Perhaps the A.P.O. could provide a clue.

http://www.skylighters.org/germocc/kasernes.html

Dave

[/quot

THe PUC is the blue one avove the right pocket.

I had a feeling Bob or TH can help. :thumbsup:

I thought that was a purple heart deal instead of unit citation. Good to find out different. The APO's of all the letters are either 467 or 210. Isee some things in the latter ones about China, so he might have been there. That is why I wondered if it was some sort of Aisa/Europe deal. The jacket date is original patent 1946 and last date id 1949. I was off a bit from 1947 like I was thinking.

Dave

DwightPruitt

Googling the APO's I found the APO 467 to be Army Airways Communications System Squadron 127, Detachment Station #213, Sookerating, India. I'm still working on the other one.

Edit:

APO 210 comes up to be Hq Detachment and Hq Squadron, China Air Service Command (Provisional), Chentu, China.

http://www.cbi-history.com/part_viii.html

The patch appears to have the letters AVE or AE (Army Europe?) held together by two links of a chain. What type of unit may have used these letters?

I agree your patch has a connection to the US Army Europe patch.

Bill

post-1455-1244934027.jpg

Just a SWAG, but my guess it's for a radio relay station linking Asia and Europe.

I would agree with this...neat uniform!

Whats the fourragere? Red white and green?

RED-WHITE-BLACK

Colors of the occupation ribbon.The cord wasnt official but often seen on occupation era uniforms.

RD

RED-WHITE-BLACK

Colors of the occupation ribbon.The cord wasnt official but often seen on occupation era uniforms.

RD

Ahh that's what I couldn't figure out...

Ahh that's what I couldn't figure out...

Austin,

Im not sure if it has an official name but there is a thread on shoulder cords and I think this one is listed in the posts.I have one on an engineers jacket also.

RD

Bob is correct in that the patch was shown in ASMIC but believe it has been tied to the engineers in Europe. it is a rare patch but no definitive ID to date. Mort