US para wing scratched on rear for # of jumps

This Robbins pin back US paratrooper wing is currently up for bid on eBay (220429705647). What is different is 55 scratches on the back for 55 jumps. I've never come across this before. Has anyone else come across this type of markings on the back to denote numbers of jumps.

post-1389-1244606133.jpg

post-1389-1244606139.jpg

post-1389-1244606145.jpg

X_redcatcher

for the number of jumps its a little high for back then, but could it be for kills maybe?? or he was just board??

for the number of jumps its a little high for back then, but could it be for kills maybe?? or he was just board??

Number of girls, number of jumps, number of kills, dollars owed, days left until liberty, who knows? :w00t:

Pretty neat.

Patrick

Number of girls, number of jumps, number of kills, dollars owed, days left until liberty, who knows? :w00t:

Pretty neat.

Patrick

You'd think if it was 55 jumps he or she would have qualified for a Senior Parachutist Badge at some point.

http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Badges/p...ts%20badges.htm

Pretty neat.

Patrick

"Days left" struck a chord. I didn't scratch anything I wore, but I did keep a short timers calendar...here's my last:

post-3515-1244686869.jpg

Laury Allison
You'd think if it was 55 jumps he or she would have qualified for a Senior Parachutist Badge at some point.

http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Badges/p...ts%20badges.htm

The Senior and Master parachute wings weren't authorized until 1949 and in the Army regulations until 1950. Even after that time, regardless of the number of jumps a trooper has, they have to be Jumpmaster qualified to get the Senior or Master wings. I knew a guy once that had 618 jumps, but had never gone to the Jumpmaster Course, so still wore basic wings. When asked about it, he said he never wanted the responsibility.

These wings could be from prior to the authorization of the Senior and Master ratings or from someone who wasn't a Jumpmaster. Without knowing for sure, there is no need to beat yourself up about it either way. It appears to be a unique way of a trooper marking their jumps. I've got some pilot wings marked with what appears to be the father's initials and date they earned their wings and the son's initials and the date they earned their wings....I would guess it was a pair of wings awarded to the son upon graduation from flight school. I think I have a submarine badge with something scratched on the reverse too...I just don't remember what it is at the moment.

Different stuff scratched (or engraved) onto the backs of different badges/wings is not unheard of, but not real common and is neat when you do find them.

Just my thoughts....

Laury