WW2 NCO CHevrons

ww2_1943

I have been collecting WW2 NCO chevrons for a few years and have noticed many different styles. I have come up with 6 different styles. I am focusing on 4 styles now. I am not an expert so I hope some people chime in with correct designations. Below are descriptions of the 4 types I have been focusing on and what I am looking for. The other two styles I know of are the 1921 style of felt backings with felt stripes sewed on. The other styles are the chevrons that were originally meant for khaki uniforms. They are tan with OD strips or outlining, I can't really remember and do not have an examples.

First is what I am calling OD Felt. Those are the patches that have the unfinished edges with the body being a soft (fuzzy) dark blue (most look black) cloth and the stripes being raised embroidered OD Rayon

Second is OD Wool. Those are the ones with finished edges with a dark blue (most look black) flat body that has horizontal lines and the stripes are raised embroidered OD Rayon.

Third is what I am calling Khaki Printed. These are the patches with unfinished edges that have a dark blue (most look black) flat body with horizontal lines. The Stripes are khaki in color and look printed (flush) on the fabric, although they are stitched.

Fourth is what I am calling Khaki embroidered. These are patches with finished edges. The body is a flat, dark blue (most look black) cloth with horizontal lines. The stripes are a raised embroidered khaki color.

I am looking to obtain the following patches:

PFC: OD Felt, Khaki printed

Tech 5th grade: khaki embroidered, OD wool

Corporal: Khaki printed, OD felt

Tech 4th grade: Khaki embroidered, OD wool

Sergeant: OD wool, Khaki printed

Tech 3rd grade: OD felt, OD wool

Staff Sgt: Khaki embroidered, OD wool

Tech Sgt: Khaki embroidered, OD wool

First Sgt: Khaki embroidered, OD wool

Master Sgt: OD felt, Khaki printed, Khaki embroidered

I should not say the edges are unfinished on the printed looking khaki ones. They have the edges folded under and sewed.

None of the WWII Army chevrons are "printed". I think what you mean to say is that they are woven as opposed to being embroidered or in the case of the wool on wool appliqued type (OD on navy blue wool). There were khaki embroidered on khaki twill and the same colors used to make woven or flat looking chevrons. Same deal with the silver/grey stripes on dark blue. Emerson's book "Chevron's", gives a better description.

Good point you brought up about the different edges.

Using a written description of these things can get complicated and it's easy to misunderstand some descriptions. Not being critical here, just something all of us chevron collectors have to deal with.

Good luck on finding those you need.

None of the WWII Army chevrons are "printed". I think what you mean to say is that they are woven as opposed to being embroidered or in the case of the wool on wool appliqued type (OD on navy blue wool). There were khaki embroidered on khaki twill and the same colors used to make woven or flat looking chevrons. Same deal with the silver/grey stripes on dark blue. Emerson's book "Chevron's", gives a better description.

Good point you brought up about the different edges.

Using a written description of these things can get complicated and it's easy to misunderstand some descriptions. Not being critical here, just something all of us chevron collectors have to deal with.

Good luck on finding those you need.

Thanks for chimeing in. I have to get a copy of that book.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...c=12181&hl=

Look at this thread to get an idea of times used with a time line.

So OD on blue twill is post war? Would their have been any OD stripes on twill during WW2 with finished edges?

It sounds like I should focus more on the "fuzy" unfinished edge patches when it comes to OD.

So OD on blue twill is post war? Would their have been any OD stripes on twill during WW2 with finished edges?

It sounds like I should focus more on the "fuzy" unfinished edge patches when it comes to OD.

Yes. The green or OD stripes embroidered on dark blue wool would be WWII vintage. There is a 3 stripe sergeant and the 3 Technician grades in this set of chevrons. Now fast forward to the Korean War (about 1952 if I remember right), and you have the same color combination but on twill instead of wool. In the later set of chevrons, there is no 3 stripe Sergeant and no Technician ranks. (In this set like the little "combat-non-combat", blue and yellow chevrons, there was no 3 stripe sergeant and the rank of sergeant wore the old chevron design for Staff Sergeant of three chevrons pointed up and one "rocker".)

Hope all this helps!

• 7 months later...
Thanks for chimeing in. I have to get a copy of that book.

Chevrons by William K. Emerson is going between $300-$500 used. Does that sound right?

...Chevrons by William K. Emerson is going between $300-$500 used. Does that sound right?

Yes. And there are not many copies available even at those prices. If you can stand the wait, Emerson is working on a new edition, which won't cost nearly as much as his first.

Yes. And there are not many copies available even at those prices. If you can stand the wait, Emerson is working on a new edition, which won't cost nearly as much as his first.

That is great news. I'll wait. Any ETA?