MICH helmet

Mercenary25

Mercenary25

Hello everyone!

I just got this helmet off ebay for reasonable price.

DSCF3072.jpg

DSCF3073.jpg

DSCF3069.jpg

DSCF3070.jpg

DSCF3071-1.jpg

DSCF3078.jpg

Close up of straps. You could see it is still dirty from sand. When I open the cover from the helmet, some sand fell out. Could it have been used in Iraq or Afghanistan???? think.gif

DSCF3074.jpg

CamoDeafie

your guess is as good as mine, remember, 29 palms in California, the beach, and Texas all have some amount of sand and dirt, take the cover off and see if theres any camo on it or if there's markings on it, that may help?

regardless, that is a nice score!! :D

Mercenary25

Thanks for comment! Good point, but it is just me who have high hope for this helmet. :D

Edit: Plus, it has woodland on the other side of cover. On the sixth photo, there is tag for helmet cover. "Reversible helmet cover".

That's a good suspension system in the helmet, keeps the helmet from getting wobbly on your head. Had those in the sandbox in 04.

03' to 05' issue ACH. 06' is when he Army started to issue the helmets with the ACU pattern covers. I was issued mine in early 06' with an ACU cover, desert tan retention straps, and black chin straps. Late 06' is when the ACU foilage green chin straps started showing up.

03' to 05' issue ACH. 06' is when he Army started to issue the helmets with the ACU pattern covers. I was issued mine in early 06' with an ACU cover, desert tan retention straps, and black chin straps. Late 06' is when the ACU foilage green chin straps started showing up.

Thats not a hard and fast rule to date these as my MICH was issued with the exact same suspension in May, 2007. A lot of guys that have used the MICH for awhile try to keep the black pads because they do not fall apart when they are washed like the ACU ones.

For what its worth.

Kyle

I only meant the chin straps. There was a big push to change the color from black to the foilage green then because Iraqi snipers were being taught to look for the black "Y" and aim for it as it was a easily recognizable aiming point. I thought it was BS until I started watching for it and it did make a nice aiming point amongst the other light colors of the rest of the uniform. As for the hard and fast rule, the only hard and fast rule is that nothing is hard and fast in this day and age Army.

Thats not a hard and fast rule to date these as my MICH was issued with the exact same suspension in May, 2007. A lot of guys that have used the MICH for awhile try to keep the black pads because they do not fall apart when they are washed like the ACU ones.

For what its worth.

Kyle

I noticed the disintegration of the pads on one of the newer MICH helmets I bought. I'm thinking of getting some Oregon Aero pads to replace them.

Arch

I got my first ACH in the spring of '06 and it had foliage green chin straps. It was part of a RFI fielding and about 2/3 of the helmets issued out had foliage green chin straps, the rest had black ones. BTW, we all got OD green retention straps that time.

Vance

You must have been right behind us getting yours. They were cleaning out the stocks. Anyone who needed small or X-small got foilage green. When we got in country, we were given a helmet repair box that had covers, pads, and straps, it was full of foilage green straps. As for the retention straps, I made a pair of foilage green ones because we had material in our Air Warrior repair kit that contained foilage green material and a snap setter.

I have a MICH with the green chinstraps with the tan retention straps...this is an early MICH I was told.

Can someone make a rough timeline with the specs. of the MICH from first issue untill now?

Its quite hard to date those helmets for me...you guys seem to know a lot more so lets share this info :w00t:

Mercenary25

Thanks for input, guys!

I have a question.... Weird thing about this helmet, it is size Large and doesn't fit me properly. It sits high on my head, above my ears. Is it padding system? I have Kpot in L size, it is a bit big, but fits me well. I noticed that K-pot helmet sizes are easily adjusted to fit soldier's need, but for ACH/MICH, soldiers would need to find perfect size, correct?

Yes, the pads come in different thicknesses. The 3/4 inch is the most common, but there are 1/2", which is what it sounds like you need. Also, if you have most of your peripherial pads up high in the crown, try moving them down more to the sides, that can help as well.

Mercenary25

I have another question, what is flap on back of helmet cover for? It would make sense if it is on front of cover where NVG mount would be.

I have another question, what is flap on back of helmet cover for? It would make sense if it is on front of cover where NVG mount would be.

Supposedly for some type of radio system. My old memory lost the nomenclature. They were part of an RFI we were issued in '04.

This helmet is a dead ringer for mine('04), including the ground-in dust from a year in Iraq. Nice find for an OIFII/III display! You need an IBA to go with it, though.

I echo the comment about moving the pads around for a better fit.

You need an IBA to go with it, though.

Funny you should say that, I'm getting ready to list one in the for sale section that would go nicely with this helmet. Check it out if you are interested.