The Pacific and Collecting

normaninvasion

normaninvasion

Just curious as to whether the approaching tv series The Pacific is effecting your collecting? Since BOB/SPR sent airborne collectables to sky high prices, wondering if other collectors are scrambling to gather up USMC items for their collection before the floodgates are opened. I have recently shelled out for both 1st and 2nd patt covers/m1s and keep my eyes and wallet open for more, these being pricey even at the present. I'm going to hate to see what they will be going for in a years time!

Marine Corps stuff has always been pricey, even without the movie coming out about the Pacific war. The movie will probably spike interest and prices tho. I just wonder what it will do for those who collect Japanese militaria.

Personally, I've always thought the PTO has played second-fiddle when it came to WWII collecting interest.

brandon_rss18
Marine Corps stuff has always been pricey, even without the movie coming out about the Pacific war. The movie will probably spike interest and prices tho. I just wonder what it will do for those who collect Japanese militaria.

Personally, I've always thought the PTO has played second-fiddle when it came to WWII collecting interest.

Its funny you say that because I was just thinking that. It is funny that more people collect ETO than PTO, especially since the PTO was primarily OUR war. I think its just a popularity contest between Germany and Japan, and Germany always wins. Everyone knows who Hitler is, but if you asked the normal person who was the Emperor of Japan during WW2, I bet hardly any of them could tell you. Just something I often think about.

A hint; there was no car named after him. B)

I only collect ETO as it is easier for me to visit the battlefields and - as Jim says - armor was used on a much larger scale than in the PTO.

Erwin

Since my interest is primarily armor and TD, I collect both areas. Obviously though, armor was used on a much larger scale in Europe.

Its funny you say that because I was just thinking that. It is funny that more people collect ETO than PTO, especially since the PTO was primarily OUR war. I think its just a popularity contest between Germany and Japan, and Germany always wins. Everyone knows who Hitler is, but if you asked the normal person who was the Emperor of Japan during WW2, I bet hardly any of them could tell you. Just something I often think about.

Gee, I think that the Brits, Australians and Chinese might just disagree with you on it being just OUR war. ;)

I think also that the PTO gets less attention because of the island jumping and Naval influence without any real Liberation of other countries. We were indeed fighting an enemy but, no one was really being liberated by us outside of the Philippines and some small unknown island nations. I think then and now, people could relate to Europe. We all know who the nations of France, England, Belgium, Italy, Norway, Poland, etc. are. But just who is Saipan? Corregidor? Makin Atoll? Marianas? Solomons? Wake? Iwo Jima? Tinian? It's hard to relate to something that you don't know anything about nor involves the good guy image of a liberator. It's a shame but, I think it's a big part of the reason.

teufelhunde.ret

I tend to think there will be little pressure on USMC items in general and do little to bring back pre-recession prices and nominal effect on todays prices. Most folks are holding their cards close right now and few are engaging in new "expensive" hobbies. Much of the mini-series popularity will depend upon a great many intangible details. To the point, one only needs to look at the cast, for the most part widely unknown and most are 3 generations away from these events of WW2. The directors, actors and the cast as a whole (if they can pull off an actuate believable performance) will determine if they achieve any critical acclaim, the Spielberg & Hanks names as producers will likely pull in a greater viewing numbers initially, however, if the cast's portrayal is not credible in the first few shows, viewers will drop like fly's. Irrespective I look forward to seeing the series and for the moment believe Australia is the big winner with a an estimated 130+M dollars being spent there.

s/f Darrell

Zippo Grunt

In my line of collecting i found after the "Band of Brothers" some 101st Airborne Zippos did go up in price,but didn't hold their value. The series for me only brought in new collectors who wished to buy anything on the Screamin' Eagles. This lasted for a year or so then died down.

But World War II Zippo lighters in general did go up in price,quite alot. More so the personal lighters which,people wanted. These started to become faked. But these also died a death,after being reported and removed.

I don't think "The Pacific" will have the same affect as the "Band of Brothers" as theirs too much USMC Items out their already.

But i hope im wrong as ive a large collection of USMC Iwo Jima Zippos. B)

post-4917-1244748231.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
fortworthgal

I pretty much agree with this post. USMC stuff has always been expensive anyway, and while I think the series will probably spike prices somewhat... I don't expect it to be anything like the BOB/SPR-induced mania of a few years ago.

PTO just doesn't seem to be as "popular" for collecting or reenacting. I collect women's militaria so I have both ETO and PTO items, and early war PTO - Bataan/Corregidor is really where my interest lies.

normaninvasion

I'm suprised that many feel there will not be much renewed interest in USMC items and the Pacific theater. Granted there is an existing premium on Corps items, however items like helmet covers, original, seem to be far and few, and are scooped up fast. I figuire the movie will push the bill hard on these items. I'm also suprised that the PTO plays 2nd fiddle to the ETO. Some of the nastiest fighting in WW2, one word Tarawa!! I seem to think that SPR/BOB brought alot of new collectors into the fold and some older collectors changed focus towards AB, I believe this will happen for USMC. We will have to wait and see :thumbsup:

brandon_rss18
Gee, I think that the Brits, Australians and Chinese might just disagree with you on it being just OUR war. ;)

I think also that the PTO gets less attention because of the island jumping and Naval influence without any real Liberation of other countries. We were indeed fighting an enemy but, no one was really being liberated by us outside of the Philippines and some small unknown island nations. I think then and now, people could relate to Europe. We all know who the nations of France, England, Belgium, Italy, Norway, Poland, etc. are. But just who is Saipan? Corregidor? Makin Atoll? Marianas? Solomons? Wake? Iwo Jima? Tinian? It's hard to relate to something that you don't know anything about nor involves the good guy image of a liberator. It's a shame but, I think it's a big part of the reason.

HAHAHAHA Your right! Sorry fellow Pacific Allies. What I meant was it was more personal to us because we were attacked by the Japanese, so that made it more of "our" war, in the eyes of the Americans. LOL, you know what I meant! ;)

HAHAHAHA Your right! Sorry fellow Pacific Allies. What I meant was it was more personal to us because we were attacked by the Japanese, so that made it more of "our" war, in the eyes of the Americans. LOL, you know what I meant! ;)

Now Brandon, don't you remember that the Brits were attacked at places like Singapore? Just about half of China was attacked and over ran and the Aussies got attacked when the Japanese bombed Darwin. All the fore mentioned allies of us suffered terribly under the Japanses. This was especially true of the Chinese.

Not meaning to lecture here, just point out something. Some Americans seen to forget the contributions of our allies, especially in the Pacific war.

brandon_rss18
Now Brandon, don't you remember that the Brits were attacked at places like Singapore? Just about half of China was attacked and over ran and the Aussies got attacked when the Japanese bombed Darwin. All the fore mentioned allies of us suffered terribly under the Japanses. This was especially true of the Chinese.

Not meaning to lecture here, just point out something. Some Americans seen to forget the contributions of our allies, especially in the Pacific war.

Okay, I meant thru the eyes of Americans at the time. Anyone else want to take me to literally and try to bash me into the ground? I know that the Japanese invaded and attacked various places, my aunt is from Guam and was 5 when the Japanese invaded. Anyhow, I was talking about how the Americans felt about it. For example, the terrorist subway bombings in England, I know that was horrible but how many times do you sit there and think, this is the Brits war too, which it also is, but we tend to look back at September 11th and it becomes nothing but our war. You have to think back to the times and the mindsets of the people back then. To them, it was OUR war because of Pearl Harbor.

Corpsmancollector

This contentious issue has been discussed a little before. Personally, I think prices will increase greatly. Thats my initial thought. Over here in England, PTO gear is generally more difficult to get hold off I would say, since we're further away technically. Whereas the ETO is on our doorstep. So in a sense, prices are a big higher anyway? I don't know if many will agree with this, just a theory. However, if USMC gear does rocket in price, it wouldnt exactly be bucking the trend of BOB/SPR, so maybe its natural that this is going to happen. A lot of other factors will contribute too, of course the cast and final production (didnt feel much changed after flags/letters came out, although I thought they were great) and with the current financial state of things, maybe people arent opening their wallets as already stated. I've found USMC gear is getting difficult to find at the moment, but I'm not attending many shows/fairs due to starting a new job, thus most my buying is over the internet, which raises another concern. People go nuts on ebay. Some people will pay almost anything and get enthralled in bidding, so I find the price will be much higher than normal.

I guess only time will tell! I look forward to the series with excitment and anticipation. We'll see what happens.

Best wishes one and all

Will

Rakkasan187

Brandon,

I have disagree with you about it being our war, don't forget the Rape of Nanking, this happened before 1941, and prior to Pearl Harbor, and although America was not directly involved, General Claire Chennault and the Flying Tigers were fighting for China prior to our involvement after Dec 7, 1941. I would have to say prior to 1941 it was China and Great Britain's (and all her territories) war in the Far East.

As far as looking back at September 11, and saying it is nothing but our war, I have to disagree. We have numerous allies fighting the Global War on Terror, but not too much is said about their contributions to this ongoing fight. I am Italian (On my Mother's Side) and my Italian cousin who is in the Italian Army was severely wounded by a roadside IED in Afghanistan late last year. To say that 9/11 is not just our war, granted the attacks were on US soil, but take a look at all the Nations who lost loved ones in the Twin Towers. Italy, Great Britain, Japan, Germany, Tiawan, just to name a few.

Again Brandon, not bashing here on anyone, just a humble opinion on my part. Our Allied contributions in the Pacfic have gone unrecognized. If it wasn't for an Austrailian Coastwatcher and his native helpers, Lt(jg) John F. Kennedy, skipper of PT boat 109, may not have been rescued for example.

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr

US Army (retired) 84/05

Anyone else want to take me to literally and try to bash me into the ground?

Brandon,

Nobody is trying to "bash" you into the ground. Just trying to get the history right. I think that's what MSgt Smith was trying to do with his post also. Sorry you took my comments in a negative way as they weren't ment to be such.

I think what Brandon is trying to say when he means “Our War “ is that when war was declared by the USA it was because Japan was the first to strike. America took it to heart. Japan became the first enemy and Japan was foremost on the American peoples minds in the weeks following the Pearl Harbor attack, not Germany. Brandon doesn’t mean literally “Americas War and no one elses “, which is what most of you are reading into his statement.

Kurt

Brian Dentino
I think what Brandon is trying to say when he means “Our War “ is that when war was declared by the USA it was because Japan was the first to strike. America took it to heart. Japan became the first enemy and Japan was foremost on the American peoples minds in the weeks following the Pearl Harbor attack, not Germany. Brandon doesn’t mean literally “Americas War and no one elses “, which is what most of your are reading into his statement.

Kurt

Well stated, Kurt. I believe that your above comment was right on the mark! I do believe that we all may see a "spike" if this series is as well done as BoB as it will bring new collectors into the ranks. Some of them will have much heavier wallets than I have and will pay for what they want......even if those of us that have been collecting for some time now think are ridiculous prices. They will not know better.... :blink:

Yes Brandon, I did know what you meant and I was just messin' with you a little bit. ;) However, it seems that a few folks took it the wrong way. I think you covered it well with your above answer.

Let this be a learning experience: Read the WHOLE thread before you post because a follow-up posting may have already clarified what was said, as was the case here with Brandon's clarification. Had this happened, then, no one would have been quick to correct Brandon.

It's hard to believe that after all of these posts, not one word has been mentioned about the ARMY here! Even foreign countries have been mentioned. I realize the up coming show is focused more on the Marines but let's not forget that that were many more ARMY divisions in the Pacific than Marine Corps. Some of the very first units sent to the Pacific were ARMY!

Seems that most people forget or don't even know/care that the ARMY slugged it out right along side them.

Just my 2 cents worth.

GO ARMY! :thumbsup:

It's hard to believe that after all of these posts, not one word has been mentioned about the ARMY here!...

I am so ashamed :blushing: My wife's step dad was in the PTO as part of the Army, I've got a couple groupings that are Army PTO. Shame, Shame, Shame! Thanks for bringing this up! So, here's some Army soldiers at Kwajalein. I hope this makes up for it. By the way, check out the awesome camo on the helmets:

battle_at_kwajalein_lg.jpg

cherokee tj
It's hard to believe that after all of these posts, not one word has been mentioned about the ARMY here! Even foreign countries have been mentioned. I realize the up coming show is focused more on the Marines but let's not forget that that were many more ARMY divisions in the Pacific than Marine Corps. Some of the very first units sent to the Pacific were ARMY!

Seems that most people forget or don't even know/care that the ARMY slugged it out right along side them.

Just my 2 cents worth.

GO ARMY! :thumbsup:

Thanks for bringing up the Army, my Dad who was Army was wounded in New Guinea and again in the Phillipines fightnig the Japanese.

The 37th Infantry Division was overseas for a little over 3 1/2 years. Fought the Japanese on New Georgia, (battle for Munda airfield), Bougainville in the Solomons, and last but not least in the Philippines on the island of Luzon ( largest beach assault landing, 2nd only to D-day in Normandy) and took the city of Manilla in early 1945.

....and back on track for this original thread, I hope ARMY stuff for the Pacific doesn't go up in price, seems like I'm payin' a lot now!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I don't know whether everyone is aware of this but the first official trailer for 'The Pacific' has now been released and can be found on YouTube by searching 'the pacific hbo'.

Hi,

PTO ... the Navy!!! :thumbsup:

Bofors_firing_USS_Hornet.jpg

3379537517_a92cbea80d.jpg

comfort.jpg

L0509winters_k.jpg

(USMC + Army + Navy) + another Allies countries = Victory in PTO

My best,

Ricardo.