VIETNAM LW TROPICAL RUCKSACK?

Patriot

Two different Vietnam Era packs are being confused here. 1.The Lightweight Rucksack which is the one with a large tubular metal frame and 2.The Tropical Rucksack which is the one with the flat "X" frame. There is no such thing as a "LW Tropical Rucksack." The Lightweight Rucksack is the one most similar to the ALICE pack. Stanton's book on Vietnam Era Army uniforms and equipment has a good section on both Vietnam items.

Note to Administrator: Please remove all references to "LW" in my posts above when used to describe the Tropical Rucksack.

I have offended the "Collector" gods on this site by my obvious ignorance about US Militaria.

Since I, myself, am not a collector nor have I aspired to such a hallowed, elite position and title, I must beg forgiveness of my transgressions to the "Chosen Ones".

I also beg forgiveness in other posts where I referred to the Sleeping Bag, Mountain, M-1949 as the lowly "fartsack".

In addition, when I referred to either of the aforementioned rucksacks as being uncomfortable without their respective frames I was relying on personal experience not what I have read in Stanton's books.

There was no confusion about the rucksacks being discussed because the Lightwieght Rucksack w/ riveted frame cannot be worn without the frame.

To the Forum Administrators: I believe I have found a mistake in the Reference section of the Field and Personal Gear Section. The Tropical Rucksack is referred as the (gasp!) Lightweight Tropical Rucksack. I do believe this is in error.

U.S. Militaria Forum

1. REFERENCE
  2. FIELD & PERSONAL GEAR [REF]
  3. PACKS [REF]
  4. LIGHTWEIGHT TROPICAL RUCKSACK

And yes, I have read the post concerning sarcasm.

My Irish/English Mum used to say "It is better to keep your mouth closed and be thought of as a fool than to open it and remove all doubt!"

Obviously I have not taken her teachings to heart even though I be in my sixties.

so... whats the difference between the lw rucksack and tropical rucksack? i got mine and most markings cant be read and it has no frame

The most obvious visible difference is that the Tropical Rucksack has a flat metal frame that shows as an "X" in the back. The Lightweight Rucksack attaches to a tubular metal frame. Do a little Googling on your own or search the very website you are looking at now. I think you will be rewarded wih a lot more information.