VIETNAM LW TROPICAL RUCKSACK?

Patriot

This weekend I have been on a militaria buying frenzy! I picked up a nice pair of New York State issue Spanish American War leggings, an identified Vietnam War set of dress blues, WWII 5th Infantry Division Class A, an Indian War cabinet card of a plains officer in winter gear, airborne BDU's, paper ephemera, a Chemical Warfare pillow cover (WWII), WWI condiment tin, a couple medals, and this Vietnam War rucksack.

Admittedly, I don't know as much about Vietnam War collectibles as other, earlier areas of collecting. It's a budding area of collecting for me, but when I saw this, it stared up at me with those puppy eyes, and said - "take me home with you", and so I did. Haven't we all experienced that?

From what I have read, this is a tropical rucksack from the Vietnam War period. It is interesting in the fact that the padding on the butt of the frame is dated 1952, while the rest of it is clearly 1960's manufacture. Is this an early tropical ruck? Is it the light weight tropical ruck that everyone seems to want? Notice that the frame has cross bars, and not the typical "x" pattern of supports.

There are also NO MARKINGS that I can find on the ruck itself, not even a "U.S." stamped on the flap. Is that normal?

So.... what exactly do I have here, and was $15 a good price, given its condition? Overall very good, just evidence of field use, and one snap missing. I refrained from snapping the pockets, to prevent any further damage.

Thanks

Patriot

post-2801-1244498941.jpg

post-2801-1244498949.jpg

CamoDeafie

thats an ALICE medium pack with frame, but the one valuable thing on it is the kidney pad, from a tropical rucksack.... other than that, everything looks to be of late 70s, possibly mid 80s manufacture.

Thanks!

Now, here is a picture from Vietnamgear... what are the differences between this pack, and mine? Externally, they look quite similar.

post-2801-1244499948.jpeg

After some very careful inspection, I did find a DLA date of 1984, which is barely visible. This was very hard to read. I am going to turn this into a lightweight survival pack, so if anyone wants the kidney pad, let me know.... I am sure we could work something out.

Thanks

CamoDeafie

the frame, the way the frame and straps are mounted are the main differences between the ALICE pack and the tropical packs, also the tropical rucksack's side webbing has a couple extra load carrying straps to strap things to, and then theres the matter of the frames themselves, the tropical is a X frame with spring steel and different mounting methods from what i could see. the ALICE has an aluminum frame thats cheaper to make and is pretty sturdy (altho the story goes that you havent really loaded your pack until the frame's cross bars bend....which would indicate that you've achieved the proper heavy GI load) and has a simpler top padding and mounting system than the tropical's, as well as having a different shape kidney pad, you need to look for the LC1 or LC2 Kidney Pad for ALICE Rucksack Frame, and you can get a Large ALICE pack on the same frame, which is whats really standard for the US military as the Large pack has more storage space and can hold quite a bit....but the Medium is a good compromise between the Large pack and the buttpack/training packs.

the " 1952 kidney pad" appears to be a shoulder pad for a G.I. pack board with a thin strap ran thru the loops on the top of the pad.... you can clearly see the tapered end of the shoulder pad on the right..at any rate yes its a med. ALICE pack from about the mid 80"s...still a good deal if you got both frame and ruck for $15 bucks.. vince g. 11b inf..

The Meatcan
the " 1952 kidney pad" appears to be a shoulder pad for a G.I. pack board with a thin strap ran thru the loops on the top of the pad.... you can clearly see the tapered end of the shoulder pad on the right..at any rate yes its a med. ALICE pack from about the mid 80"s...still a good deal if you got both frame and ruck for $15 bucks.. vince g. 11b inf..

exactly. Check ebay for completed sale pricing for medium alice packs with frames with straps. Your $15 is a decent deal for sure. Get a real kidney pad for the alice and you are all set.

Terry

Thanks!

Now, here is a picture from Vietnamgear... what are the differences between this pack, and mine? Externally, they look quite similar.

Quite similar and the same are two very different things. think.gif

Attention to detail is what is needed, especially if one is buying from ebay with its crappy photographs.

As you look at the pictures of the front of the two packs you will note that the flap opening in the lids are of two very different designs. On the tropical it is a separate rectangular flap.

On the tropical the 3 external cargo pockets have a stitch in them that makes the pocket flaps square.

The pockets also have plastic press snaps and 3/4 inch webbing on the tropical. The medium Alice has metal snaps and 1 in webbing.

If you were to view the rear of the two packs you would find more differences that you could just about list. The biggest of which is that the tropical has an 'X' frame v's the Alice frame.

New Romantic
I picked up a nice pair of New York State issue Spanish American War leggings

Patriot

Can you post the leggings in the Uniforms section? I would like to see what these look like.

• 4 years later...

late post but does anyone know if they always used the frame with the tropical rucksack? or did some go without?

Not a lot of photos to prove it but you always see them with the frame. They are not very comfortable to wear fully loaded without the frame.

well ik alice packs that came around in 74 with the frame can be removed and worn without but the larger size is really bad without but the medium isnt to bad without it. but as for the tropical x frames i dont know much about or if they had different sizes and such but i think i just bought one however i wont know till it gets here. the pic only showed the pockets but not straps or frame. and it looks like a x frame rather than the alice with the cross frame.

The lightweight rucksack bag itself doesn't have shoulder straps-so you have to use a frame. The tropical rucksack does, but you don't see it without the x-frame.

The lightweight rucksack bag itself doesn't have shoulder straps-so you have to use a frame. The tropical rucksack does, but you don't see it without the x-frame

yes the smallest needs the frame but the others can be without it, the largest is uncomfortable when fully packed with no frame. but is the frame removable like on the alice packs? ive never messed with the trpoical ones or seen one in person?

Back of both rucks. LW Tropical has the "X" frame. ALICE has no frame (but you have the frame on yours).

The ALICE was often issued without the frame (very uncomfortable to wear).

The "X" frame is removable but same applies as with the ALICE.

As already mentioned, the snaps on the LW Tropical were plastic and attached directly to the pocket material. This made repairs difficult.

ALICE pocket snaps were metal and were attached to a nylon strap sewn to the pocket material. Easier to repair.

The LW Tropical has a slightly smaller top flap with an internal pocket. It also does not have the radio pocket on the inside of the ruck.