Sign in to follow this  
pwmiraldi67

World War I Impressions

I had posted this on the other "impressions" thread, but it is far more appropriate here; so please pardon the double post. Here we have 2nd US Cavalry, 1918 France. (If you're sharp, you'll find about five anachronisms on me and the horse.)

mtdcv1a.jpg

I had posted this on the other "impressions" thread, but it is far more appropriate here; so please pardon the double post. Here we have 2nd US Cavalry, 1918 France. (If you're sharp, you'll find about five anachronisms on me and the horse.)

mtdcv1a.jpg

Being non-cavalry these are a wild stab but the five anachronisms are: halter, rope, glove and the canteen and sword/scabbard are on the wrong side?

Tom

I dug this picture out again, I'm not sure which era he is, (ww-2 Phillipines? :think: ) His sword is also on the right side of horse. Looks to me like there is alot of time and money involved for such an impression, NICE, keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

horse2j.jpg

"Old tankers never die, they just smell that way!"

A co. 4/73rd Armor, 1st Infantry Division (Forward)

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Being non-cavalry these are a wild stab but the five anachronisms are: halter, rope, glove and the canteen and sword/scabbard are on the wrong side?

Tom

Tom,

You're part way there! The gloves are model 1938's. The halter is an 1859. (My 1904 halter wouldn't fit on his big ole Hanoverian head!) The rope is authentic, right down to the stitching over the eye splice and free end. The regs call for the saber to be mounted on the off (right) side, to help balance the load from the rifle on the near (left) side. Then, the regs go on to describe drawing the saber from either side of the horse! The canteen placement may be a matter of unit SOP, but is most commonly seen on the off side.

--Brian

Fellas,

The next impression I am going to work on with my WWI gear is that of a US Chauchat gunner. I have a line on a dewat 1915 8mm Chauchat, magazine bags, and a few other accessories but there is one thing I will need extra of. Since the board will not let me post in the "Wanted" section due to lack of posts I'll ask here.

Does anyone have a line on where I could find extra 8mm Chauchat magazines?

Thanks in advance!

Mark Headlee

Gentlemen,

Here are several WW1 Impressions. Mostly officer. As well as USMC.

DSCN4582.jpg

Comments welcome,

Tom

I always see this one photo of you everywhere and I friggin love it because it looks awesome, not gonna lie.

Greg

The date on the photo is wrong, I realized later, it was 1997. I was a ROTC cadet at the time and decided to do a local Veteran’s Day parade as a doughboy. I pulled out all original items from the collection. The boots were not correct, though, but this was a one-time only thing. The cool thing was I actually encountered a WW1 veteran at the parade, the last I ever met! He said I looked just like one of his buddies from 1917.

DoughboyParade97.jpg

Lee Bishop Formerly known as "Ratchet 5" with the 2nd Infantry Division (yes, in REAL life)

US WW2 War Correspondent collector

mtdcv1a.jpg

SWEET

WW1 42nd Rainbow Division collector

Reenactor and living historian WW1

This is my brother at age 17 wearing all original gear. Taken in 2006 I believe. :)

l_9c9cba35664e284ab7f94022aa714fbe.jpg

You are adorable Vincent. ;) er...Sorry...Hardcore!

Looking for: American Zouave uniforms & equipment / American World War 1 uniforms & equipment

-Rachel Kelly

Kelly Miles & Co.

Here as an officer of the 168th Infantry A.E.F.

The first two were taken on a 1910 dated Browning Camera.

Comments welcome,

Tom

scan0030.jpg

scan0033.jpg

CIMG0239.jpg

CIMG0247_2.jpg

DSCN4829.jpg

I always see this one photo of you everywhere and I friggin love it because it looks awesome, not gonna lie.

Greg, You are too kind. Thanks you! Tom

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y127/ww2c...09/DSC00737.jpg

My father setting up his display and talking to the public. He portrays a WW1 War artist. He is more of a collector and educator then a re-enactor.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y127/ww2c...7ee00adac5b.jpg

My boyfriend in his PPCLI impression.

-Sarah

I'm always looking for WW2 and Korean War era women's services and home front items. Particularly anything USMCWR or War Correspondent related.

I will refrain from making a joke about my impressions these days are audio ones...

(blam, blam, ratatatatatatatata, pew, BLAM!, "arrrrrrgh!)

mtdcv1a.jpg

Very nice Cavdoc! :thumbsup:

"I collect anything that strikes my fancy."

Very nice Cavdoc! :thumbsup:

OK I'll try this again.

I'd say the 5 anachronisms are:

Gloves (M1938)

Leggings (appear infantry rather than mounted)

Breeches (appear infantry rather than mounted)

Spur Straps (post war?)

No Gas Mask (Bag) for the Horse.

How'd I score this time?

Tom

Some wonderful impressions everyone!

I'm still working on putting my USAS uniform together (Saving up for an officer uniform from Paul Schipper).

A few of us are forming a 32nd ID division Living History group in the Netherlands and we've done a few small displays and

events together.

LPLG-weekend September 2009

lplg0903.jpg

lplg0908.jpg

Romagne, Museum 1914-1918

AD081115.jpg

Butte de Vauquois November 2008

AD081124.jpg

AD081106.jpg

Rick

Outstanding!

you really look like a US DOUGHBOY from 1918 :thumbsup:

Pardon the mix-up, that's not me in the picture, I just took them ;)

The last one was with a period camera by the way. Kodak No.2 Box brownie. Unfortunately the back came off the camera at some point hence the fogging of the film.

The slender fellow is Fred, he's lucky enough to actually fit the original uniforms he owns.

This is me on the far left (with a bit of mix&match kit)

AD081104.jpg

I'm a bit too tubby to be a convincing Doughboy (or flyboy for that matter)

Rick

It appears that doughboys that were in British sectors (like the 4th ID) for training , would be issued British rifles for training etc... but US troops that were assigned to the British Secr\tor as part of the US 2nd Corps were given Lee's but would pput the US sling on it (as they were trained on the sling and were used to to) and would put the brit P1907 bayonet in their scabboars as the scabboard would attach better to the US gear. Were there times when a US troop would use a brit sling? Sure.... just most photos support that they had the US M1907 sling on the Lee ...... If you go out to a battel field anyting can you post a photo or two. Although I have been to France a couple of times I have never visited a battel field (I know shame on me)

take care 151mg

A bit late, but bether late then never,

This is an American Monument not far from the Kemmelberg.

66085dea26.jpg

62c5e3a0c3.jpg

209586b65d.jpg

The last pic is the back side of the monument and me :D

6337eb03b7.jpg

Kind Regards Vincent

Banner%202.jpg
http://www.trgb.org/

Always intrested in 104th ID Photographs and other stuff of the 104th ID.

OK I'll try this again.

I'd say the 5 anachronisms are:

Gloves (M1938)

Leggings (appear infantry rather than mounted)

Breeches (appear infantry rather than mounted)

Spur Straps (post war?)

No Gas Mask (Bag) for the Horse.

How'd I score this time?

Tom

So sorry, Tom. I started this game, then abandoned it! You scored better with your first guesses!: 1859 halter (the lead rope is regulation, and copied after an original.), 1938 gloves; the reins are 1932 pattern; saddlebags are cheezy modern copies, and really not quite right; and boots by Redwing.

The breeches are cav type. The spurs and straps are reg. The saber was hung on the off (right) side in this period, to balance the rifle hanging on the near (left) side. The canteen placement may have been subject to SOP, but most images seem to place it on the off side. My leggings are 1917 mounted pattern, but I probably should be wearing puttees in France. (I was just too trifling to worry about puttees coming undone in the middle of a parade in downtown Strasburg, VA!) Finally, on the horse mask, I'd welcome any insight or research on this. I don't know if US cav used them. If they did, I suspect that they would have been the British pattern - the bag that hangs from the halter noseband.

--Brian

No problem. I appreciate you posting this opportunity for us to learn about your impression!

Cheers & Happy Christmas,

Tom

So sorry, Tom. I started this game, then abandoned it! You scored better with your first guesses!: 1859 halter (the lead rope is regulation, and copied after an original.), 1938 gloves; the reins are 1932 pattern; saddlebags are cheezy modern copies, and really not quite right; and boots by Redwing.

The breeches are cav type. The spurs and straps are reg. The saber was hung on the off (right) side in this period, to balance the rifle hanging on the near (left) side. The canteen placement may have been subject to SOP, but most images seem to place it on the off side. My leggings are 1917 mounted pattern, but I probably should be wearing puttees in France. (I was just too trifling to worry about puttees coming undone in the middle of a parade in downtown Strasburg, VA!) Finally, on the horse mask, I'd welcome any insight or research on this. I don't know if US cav used them. If they did, I suspect that they would have been the British pattern - the bag that hangs from the halter noseband.

--Brian

Wow guys! These are great impressions of the Doughboys! How did I miss this thread? Anyway, here I am in the Argonne, 1918. (Missouri 2008)

All original gear...

post-879-1270003079.jpg

I know my coat has the discharge chevron but it was all I had at the time.

Thanks for Looking! I may do a 1916 Infantry soon too!

post-879-1270003190.jpg