World War I Impressions

pwmiraldi67

Found these photos from 15 years ago when I actually owned some WWI uniforms, wish I still had my Springfield and cotton uniform.

the one impression was the US Army after poncho Villa expedition

would love to get back into WWI stuff again, but unsure of prices these days

paul

post-2472-1244483755.jpg

post-2472-1244483767.jpg

New Romantic

Nice! I see you're wearing some very hard to find and rare items formerly from World War I Nerd's collection. I like the Mexican Border impression. Not too many guys do that as the uniforms and gear are hard to come by. LTD snap equipment for a Border impression just wouldn't work, but now that WPG is making repro eagle snap gear then maybe we will see more Punitive Expedition impressions.

pwmiraldi67

Thanks, yea back in the 80s and 90s the stuff was a whole lot cheaper, wish Id held on to some of it!! Yea the border expedition was one of my favs, too bad all that stuff is so damn small, have to be a Garden Gnome to fit em!!!

Yea and that stuff was all breathable cotton instead of wool, nice and comfy!!

I see youve got the 27th ID Wolfhounds DI, when did you serve?? iwas in D quad 3d Brigade back in the 80s, didnt serve with the 27th Infantry but with the 87th Infantry, same quad, those guys were always in the field!!!

thanks again,

paul

New Romantic
Thanks, yea back in the 80s and 90s the stuff was a whole lot cheaper, wish Id held on to some of it!! Yea the border expedition was one of my favs, too bad all that stuff is so damn small, have to be a Garden Gnome to fit em!!!

Yea and that stuff was all breathable cotton instead of wool, nice and comfy!!

I see youve got the 27th ID Wolfhounds DI, when did you serve?? iwas in D quad 3d Brigade back in the 80s, didnt serve with the 27th Infantry but with the 87th Infantry, same quad, those guys were always in the field!!!

thanks again,

paul

I know what you mean about the tiny uniforms. I've had a couple I couldn't fit onto a mannequin torso so I had to modify the torso to make my 1901/1903 cotton coat fit it.

My father was in C 2/27th Wolfhounds in 1966, hence the DI for my avatar. I have an ensemble to do a Wolfhounds impression in 1966, but haven't gotten around to attending a living history event. As for my service, I was just FA in the National Guard from 2000-2006.

Here's the only WWI uniform I have. Not pictured are a couple sets of pants and the overcoat, which don't really lend themselves to display. I stumbled upon this at the SOS a couple years back, after giving up on finding a JAG uniform (there weren't a whole lot of these guys around, in WWI, II, or now, really).

post-333-1244644358.jpg

EH, just go buy a repro set from Schipperfabrik and then go crawl around int he mud.

fordmustanggt_350

Hey guys,

Here is my pre WWI Coast Artillery uniform. I do living history out at Battery Chamberlain in the SF Presidio. The coat is 1916 dated and is the OD color that they experimented with at that time with 1902 buttons. The coat also has two qualification patches, one for Gunner first class and the other mechanic which are original to the coat. The only thing that is reproduction is the 1917 holster which was a last minute thought, I have not quite yet found the right .38 revolver and holster to go with the belt.

Kevin

post-2569-1244663497.jpg

New Romantic
Hey guys,

Here is my pre WWI Coast Artillery uniform. I do living history out at Battery Chamberlain in the SF Presidio. The coat is 1916 dated and is the OD color that they experimented with at that time with 1902 buttons. The coat also has two qualification patches, one for Gunner first class and the other mechanic which are original to the coat. The only thing that is reproduction is the 1917 holster which was a last minute thought, I have not quite yet found the right .38 revolver and holster to go with the belt.

Kevin

Cool impression Kevin :thumbsup:, I see you're wearing a very scarce belt which would be safe with the light duty you portray.

pwmiraldi67
Hey guys,

Kevin

WOW too cool!! if that photo were in B&W Id swear it was a real photo!!!! You totally look the part!!!

where are you in Cali??? I wish we had some cool field arty pieces like that!! All we have down here is Ft. Mac in san Pedro,

again thanks for sharing!!

paul

pwmiraldi67
Here's the only WWI uniform I have. Not pictured are a couple sets of pants and the overcoat, which don't really lend themselves to display. I stumbled upon this at the SOS a couple years back, after giving up on finding a JAG uniform (there weren't a whole lot of these guys around, in WWI, II, or now, really).

Very Sweet!!!!!!!!

woodhatcher

Here are pics of my WWI Empresion.

27th ID, under british command.

vince2037.jpg

vince2048.jpg

The only that are not original are the shoe's, the puttees & the campaign hat.

Kind Regards Vincent

Here are pics of my WWI Empresion.

27th ID, under british command.

vince2037.jpg

vince2048.jpg

The only that are not original are the shoe's, the puttees & the campaign hat.

Kind Regards Vincent

Nice, I like O'Ryans rough necks (Ol'Hickory too) ...one point is in the photos I have it shows theguys using US slings and their Scabboards for the M17 for the british rifle and bayonet. Troops temp. assigned to British scector for training etc would use all Brit gear, slings and scabboards.....

Impression looks great ....no worries on the boots...tough to get them.

see ya

woodhatcher
Nice, I like O'Ryans rough necks (Ol'Hickory too) ...one point is in the photos I have it shows theguys using US slings and their Scabboards for the M17 for the british rifle and bayonet. Troops temp. assigned to British scector for training etc would use all Brit gear, slings and scabboards.....

Impression looks great ....no worries on the boots...tough to get them.

see ya

Thanks for the comment, I did not know that, but next time i use a Lee enfield, i will put an american sling on it ;)

I did know it off the scabbards, and its an american scabbard with a lee enfield bayonet in it ^^

The cool part is: its an american made bayonet :P

You say in training they used British stuff, was this only in training or alsow in battle.

A friend of mine told me that they used everything of british material wen they where in battle.

Ow, and the reason why i chosed the 27th ID, they fought not far from my home ;) (and the 30th ID alsow ^^)

Kind Regards

Gentlemen,

Here are several WW1 Impressions. Mostly officer. As well as USMC.

DSCN4692.jpg

DSCN4707.jpg

103_0278.jpg

IMG_2235.jpg

DiffernetEras-05.jpg

DSCN4582.jpg

DSCN2352.jpg

DSCN2399.jpg

DSCN2177.jpg

Comments welcome,

Tom

Gentlemen,

img]

Comments welcome,

Tom

Dandy impressions.... where did the private get the grenade launcher? Real or repop?

thanks 151mg

Thanks for the comment, I did not know that, but next time i use a Lee enfield, i will put an american sling on it ;)

I did know it off the scabbards, and its an american scabbard with a lee enfield bayonet in it ^^

The cool part is: its an american made bayonet :P

You say in training they used British stuff, was this only in training or alsow in battle.

A friend of mine told me that they used everything of british material wen they where in battle.

Ow, and the reason why i chosed the 27th ID, they fought not far from my home ;) (and the 30th ID alsow ^^)

Kind Regards

It appears that doughboys that were in British sectors (like the 4th ID) for training , would be issued British rifles for training etc... but US troops that were assigned to the British Secr\tor as part of the US 2nd Corps were given Lee's but would pput the US sling on it (as they were trained on the sling and were used to to) and would put the brit P1907 bayonet in their scabboars as the scabboard would attach better to the US gear. Were there times when a US troop would use a brit sling? Sure.... just most photos support that they had the US M1907 sling on the Lee ...... If you go out to a battel field anyting can you post a photo or two. Although I have been to France a couple of times I have never visited a battel field (I know shame on me)

take care 151mg

Here is my WWI AEF impression, Pvt. 89th Division:

Looks right on the money! good job. Hay do you go to reenacctments, if so ar the reenactors as into doing a good job like you have going or do you notice alot of farbe stuff like in (some) WW2 events..... not that it is all bad, we all need to start into things slowly, just that there are a few that just stay farby and dont get better..... what do you think, WW1 impression all pretty good or same as other areas of reenacting?

thanks 151mg

Gentlemen,

Comments welcome,

Tom

Also the private is doing a Rainbow impression? where are they based out of?

151mg

mark headlee
Looks right on the money! good job. Hay do you go to reenacctments, if so ar the reenactors as into doing a good job like you have going or do you notice alot of farbe stuff like in (some) WW2 events..... not that it is all bad, we all need to start into things slowly, just that there are a few that just stay farby and dont get better..... what do you think, WW1 impression all pretty good or same as other areas of reenacting?

thanks 151mg

Thanks for the good word. Here in Colorado we mainly do living history and demos. There is only a handful of WWI reenactors here so we are very limited in what we can do. In our group we have strict authenticity rules, first and foremost require the person to read and RESEARCH before ever buying a stitch of gear. Could we improve, yes, but we pride ourselves in limiting the "farb" factor when we are out in public. WWI is a growing are of historical interpretation and with authenticity minded vendors like Paul Schipper and Great War Militaria, its easier to get top quality gear based on original examples and not copies of copies.

Thanks for the good word. Here in Colorado we mainly do living history and demos. There is only a handful of WWI reenactors here so we are very limited in what we can do. In our group we have strict authenticity rules, first and foremost require the person to read and RESEARCH before ever buying a stitch of gear. Could we improve, yes, but we pride ourselves in limiting the "farb" factor when we are out in public. WWI is a growing are of historical interpretation and with authenticity minded vendors like Paul Schipper and Great War Militaria, its easier to get top quality gear based on original examples and not copies of copies.

Keep up the standards, that way your efforts will be appreciated by novice and old timers (I'm not that old) like me! Looks good! 151mg.....

Also the private is doing a Rainbow impression? where are they based out of?

151mg

Yes we base the impression off the 168th and the grenade launcher is a one made by the private in the photo.

Tom

Yes we base the impression off the 168th and the grenade launcher is a one made by the private in the photo.

Tom

Do you think he might make another? for sale? thanks 151mg

Do you think he might make another? for sale? thanks 151mg

I will ask him for you!

Tom