Tiger Stripes

Andrei

Hi All

Well if you all look at post 1000 you will see one of the BEST sets of tigerstripe ever.

I named direct from the Vet set of VNMC custom made tigers .

I have played with this set on saturday like a baby with a rattle and enjoyed every second of it .

Stunning .

It cannot get better than this in my opinion.

The set is very finely made with attention to detail in the hand sewing and even the way the buttons are sewn on .

The beret has a Paris maker , it goes to show the style Advisors went just to acheve the certain look.

Maybee some of our French Brothers can find the maker?

Another aspect of the set is Bob got it from an old friend who was the quartermaster!!!

So he was the one giving out the berets and all the other good stuff.

Fantastic .

Tigerstripe heaven .

Thanks for sharing your wonderfull set Bob and for giving us all an education in the good stuff.

all the best

owen

Bob,

nothing much i can add.

Congratulations on finally securing the uniform after 10 years of patience. It is a fantastic example.

I have seen attributed French made berets worn by members of Team 162 in other collections.

Patrick.

The beret is surely a private purchase beret of the Foreign Legion. Very nice set !

Almost identical to Sweeney's set that I got from Bob some years ago.

Yeah, definitely an ARVN cut. Possible rule of thumb: US size/cut tigers will usually have double button pockets, almost all ARVN cuts will have single or covered button pockets, that being said, there will be exceptions, like on the lightweight later war tigers(double button) and ARVN Marine(single button even on US cuts)....just throwin' that out for thought.

Owen,

i have shorter hair and better teeth.

Here is a quick question for fellow members....i was reviewing some old UK published "Military Illustrated" magazines that had a few tigerstripe articles yesterday.

They were written by a man called Lee.E.Russell and they date from 1987, this was well before the work published by Johnson.

It used to be a good magazine in the late 80's, the modern version is pretty poor.

What happened to Mr.Russell?

Was he known in US circles as a collector?

I have those issues, the cover on one shows an really cool pic of some Mike Force guys that are getting out of a boat and there are tiger berets and one guy wearing a green hat with a blue and yellow KKK scarf/band on it.

Bob,

It s a nice beret, likely a french issue Forreign Legion in the 60-70s, the fact that the vet told you he was issued these berets instead VN made beret is interesting. Indeed, I have a French made red beret with ARVN airborne flash, I have been always wondering if it was legit or not, but now, I think I can feel more confortable with it.

Thanks for showing these pics. Have you any information about the vets service ?

Thanks

His Beret. Made in Paris and in that very low cut, almost skull cap design.

post-492-1225996364.jpg

vintageproductions

Copran, I think you mis-understood the write up. He was not only issued the beret, but he was the advisor in charge of issuing the tiger stripes and the berets to other advisors. In other words he was the QM / procurment officer who did everything. He still has roles of silk woven SVMC patches.

vintageproductions
Owen,

i have shorter hair and better teeth.

Here is a quick question for fellow members....i was reviewing some old UK published "Military Illustrated" magazines that had a few tigerstripe articles yesterday.

They were written by a man called Lee.E.Russell and they date from 1987, this was well before the work published by Johnson.

It used to be a good magazine in the late 80's, the modern version is pretty poor.

What happened to Mr.Russell?

Was he known in US circles as a collector?

Patrick-I remember the articles really well and I am sure I still have copies someplace. But, never had heard of the collector, then or now.

P

I have often wondered what became of the guy also .

I went wild when that issue came out .

I had pieces of tiger and wondered where he got all his

What made you think of this guy??

o

P

I have often wondered what became of the guy also .

I had pieces of tiger and wondered where he got all his

What made you think of this guy??

Patrick-I remember the articles really well and I am sure I still have copies someplace. But, never had heard of the collector, then or now.

Well, thats interesting. He must have dropped off the radar or stopped collecting?

The reason i brought him into the conversation are twofold.

Firstly, he seems to have been sidelined when it comes to the published works on tigers .When it comes to written works, the point of reference seems to begin and end with Johnson, which strikes me as a little unfair.

As they were published in 1987 the articles must rate as one of the first collector attempts to study this type of garment and pass the information on i would have thought?

The second reason is militaria related. A good friend of mine has purchased a couple of very nice tiger themed items of late (which i must convince him to let me photograph), one of which is a beret that is an exact match to those worn in the photo. I knew i had an image of them in wear so i was digging around the bookshelves to show him the berets in use, pulled them out and wondered what happend to the man.

Patrick.

P

good thoughts on these articles .

They are the first published tigerstripe things I read come to think of it .

I looked at them all the time trying to crack the code as it were .

Look in Special forces at war ,there are great tiger berets being worn in the mikeforce pages .

Your mate will get his fix of them there .

more to follow today as I am going to post a special set that is smashing .

owen

Jim Schultz of Gung Ho magazine published three separate articles with pictures of tiger stripe uniforms back in the early 80's. Best I remember, there were 15-17 variants shown. Those weren't the Lee Russell articles either.

Anybody besides me remember those articles?

That was the first published thing I saw where someone tried to start to quantify the variants, way before RDJ.

National Geographic in 1965 did an article on the Montagnard revolt, showing Capt. Vernon Gillespie and other SF guys working to resolve the problem. There were pictures of the Yards wearing tigers, beo-gam, and greens.

I appreciate the work RDJ did as at least an attempt to historically document an important part of the Vietnam War history. But for sure, he missed some things and also got a few things wrong.

The one that stands out the most right now, that I remember, is the pattern he named "the Bolding pattern" based on the name tag on the suit he showed in the book. Some of us remember that "Tigerstripe Products" the reproduction company, started out as Boval Interprises, and sold through Gung Ho magazine and Soldier of Fortune.

The first set they offered was a Thai made set (no copy shown by RDJ), and the RDJ "Bolding" pattern was Boval's 2nd run, and was the first production run of a US done cloth and pattern. I have the last of that cloth.

Then Boval became TigerStripe Products with a 3rd run pattern that pretty much was their standard pattern with color and cloth changes through the years.

RDJ got the "Bolding" pattern from a guy in Alabama, who wrote for Soldier of Fortune magazine, and who would happily rip you off on E-Bay, he tried once with me.

I am glad I found this site and this thread. It is absolutely the best yet I have seen.

THANKS Guys for sharing your collections here with the rest of us.

Hi there

Good to have you onboard , there are alot of tiger

collectors out there .

I dont know the articles you are talking about , can you post them?

all the best

owen

hi all ,

I am going to share this little beautyfull set with you .

It is a 2nd tropical uniform cut copied exactly from the US jungles.

As you all know tigers were worn and loved by the men who were issued them but this set goes a little further than most .

Constructed from light weight poplin in Anglo dementions this set has a bold and stunning form .

I quickly took a couple of shots to see how it looks on a guy .

It aparently came from a China boy Mike Force guy that I am looking for .

We shall see .

Any body ever heard of an officer named Cambell?

that was the name I was given .

Any way enjoy this cammo .

Owen

Kammoman.

post-2009-1226086730.jpg