Tiger Stripes

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

P

After handling lots and lots of custom pieces you build up a picture of styles that were in "fashion '.

I have seen shirts , pants , hats , flightsuits and lets not forget the camouflage vests all in this pattern .

The cuts always point to earily war , a make do type of thing .

By 1966 things got standardized and the earily custom patterns died out .

There would have been the standard Beogam pattern in all the talior shops , the earily print runs would have been all used up by then .

Tigerstripe changed to a more standard , The JW pattern , gold and purple and the lightweight prints all came around ,the earily cuts were droped .

Beogam was also becoming less and less used as ERDL was gaining favour not to mention the different strikes of the pattern .

The police cloud pattern begins to show up as the rare Monster pattern has vanished .So in the end you kinda step back and see where everything falls into place .

A quick example of this is the whole cowboy hat story .......

Popular at the begining of the conflict but prettymuch extinct at the end .

This is my thoughts on this , I hope it helps

owen

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif
donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

Owen,

Do you have a monster pattern ? I see Riot policemen wearing it in the 61-62 demonstration against Diem Gov , but never had the opportunity to see them.

Thanks

P

After handling lots and lots of custom pieces you build up a picture of styles that were in "fashion '.

I have seen shirts , pants , hats , flightsuits and lets not forget the camouflage vests all in this pattern .

The cuts always point to earily war , a make do type of thing .

By 1966 things got standardized and the earily custom patterns died out .

There would have been the standard Beogam pattern in all the talior shops , the earily print runs would have been all used up by then .

Tigerstripe changed to a more standard , The JW pattern , gold and purple and the lightweight prints all came around ,the earily cuts were droped .

Beogam was also becoming less and less used as ERDL was gaining favour not to mention the different strikes of the pattern .

The police cloud pattern begins to show up as the rare Monster pattern has vanished .So in the end you kinda step back and see where everything falls into place .

A quick example of this is the whole cowboy hat story .......

Popular at the begining of the conflict but prettymuch extinct at the end .

This is my thoughts on this , I hope it helps

owen

Cop

I have had a piece years ago but it was pretty thrashed up .

The print was the hand screened type that faded after a couple of washes!!!!

Very hard to find though in any condition though .

It is also on the Front cover of the Vietnam in pictures magazine the floats about from time to time .

owen

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif
donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

yes I remember the cover of this magazine where honor guard saluting coffins of US service men.

Cop

I have had a piece years ago but it was pretty thrashed up .

The print was the hand screened type that faded after a couple of washes!!!!

Very hard to find though in any condition though .

It is also on the Front cover of the Vietnam in pictures magazine the floats about from time to time .

owen

Here are the pics of my Thai Large Coverall (rather than flight suit), made in Poplin non ripstop. There was a big tag on the collar (to big to be a CHEIF brand tag), is it possible that this kind of suit was used in SEA wars ?

Thanks

post-1523-1222202084.jpg

post-492-1222199821.jpg

Bob and Owen,

I have a jungle jacket named to a CWO Stryker, USSF. I dont know if it is the same SF guy.

Anyway here is the info about your guy available on militaryusa :

Vietnam Veterans Database

Name: STRYKER JOHN V

Branch: ARMY

Rate: W02

MOS: 421A

MOS Title: Armament Repair Technician

Entered: 5204

Discharged: 830201

Service Number:

State: UNKNOWN

Race: CAUCASIAN

"One law for them, another one for us !"

donation2017.gif

donation2016.gif

donation2015.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2007.gif

A

I think it must be the same dude , I mean what is the chances???

Bob said it was made from Elephant hide .

Cop

I think there is some pix of ARVN wearing this late war pattern on the ships that DIDId from Da NAng but personaly I have doubts on the overalls use .

P

Oh yes I forgot to mention the crappy zipps and thin plastic buttons .

o

Owen,

I have no clue. I have this Jungle Jacket for at least 8 years. The bloke is CIB, Master ARVN para, master para US and Pathfinder with MACV combat patch.

I will post a pic later, this is night here in Paris and my camera is an old POS.

A.

"One law for them, another one for us !"

donation2017.gif

donation2016.gif

donation2015.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2007.gif

Here is a pic of a VNMC wearing Thai Pattern (pic from ebay auction)

A

I think it must be the same dude , I mean what is the chances???

Bob said it was made from Elephant hide .

Cop

I think there is some pix of ARVN wearing this late war pattern on the ships that DIDId from Da NAng but personaly I have doubts on the overalls use .

P

Oh yes I forgot to mention the crappy zipps and thin plastic buttons .

o

post-1523-1222203380.jpg

Stunning pattern for sure , very agressive with lots of form .

I got a pair of really short shorts in this pattern from I. Goldberg in Philedphia in 1987 .

they had the white polyester stitch inside the legs ,so they might have been imported from Thailand?

That is a cool suit , dont forget the US was crazy for tigers in the 1980s , they even were worn by the military in "close encounters of the third kind ' during the hill chase scene , so I dont think we have seen the last of the crazy copy patterns ,

Sweet all the same for the guy who has to have everything

o

This "late war" coverall is a civilian hunting garment. It was made out of left over tiger material. I have seen a few of these sets in Japan, in military collectibles shops, being sold as issue. They all had a large civilian tag sewn in them. Some in the collar, and some on the rear waist.

Owen, come now, we have both seen these at K & K in the past also.....

www.vintageproductions.com

"A militaria show is a social event for anti-socials" - A.T. 2008

ASMIC Executive President

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

B

I made my dog Daiblo and my other dog Caiso Thai tiger shirts from an overall I got at K@k , no doubt they are the worst dogs in the world and what better pattern to make them wear than the worst pattern from the war!!!!

they are no good wooofff wooofffs .

here is Caiso in a nice Silver cape with matching Hat

Ps

My dog will lick your dog to death

o

post-2009-1222207435.jpg