Tiger Stripes

Andrei

hochiminhtrail

Hy copran

it s great to see the different pattern on those Vietnamese soldiers, just great picture.

Thanks for sharing it.

Cheers

Alex

nguoi tien su

That is really a nice one Andrei...

About the photo of the US Marines advisor to the TQLC/VNMC, that was the caption :

Capt. Thomas Hemingway was Senior Advisor with the 5th SVN Marine Bn (1966). Notice his French style ranks.

NTS

hochiminhtrail

Very nice Andrei, from what undersatnd from other members here, that sit s very difficult to find original isnignias on Vietnamese unifroms.

Thank you andrei for sharing your collection with us ;)

Cheers

Alex

Hi,

Some pictures of VNMC in the 2nd pattern Tiger Stripe I found in the Net. Can someone explain why we have obivously a marines who wore his beret in the left side ? As we know, ARVN (except Armoured Corps) wear the beret in the right side like French. Thanks for your opinions

post-1523-1192813067.jpg

post-1523-1192813076.jpg

Hi,

The last photo is on the wrong side (check name tapes, medals, pocket patches and fouragère around the right arm). However the mystery is still alive, there is always a beret in the wrong side (french point of view).

As formyself the man with a beret on the left speaking with Nguyen Cao Ky is not a VN Marine (his tiger stripes has not the Marine corps cut and no fourragère) and could be at least an high ranking officer. The man with the beret on the right next NKK is a marine but the beret has the insignia on the left side, opposite side of the official way?!

Who is going to discover the secret of the mysterious beret?

Valery

hochiminhtrail

well just speculating, is it not possible that the Vnese took the fashion of it s US advisers?

thats it has nothing to do with a proper unit, but maybe just his own style.

Cheers

Alex

Hi,

The last photo is on the wrong side (check name tapes, medals, pocket patches and fouragère around the right arm). However the mystery is still alive, there is always a beret in the wrong side (french point of view).

As formyself the man with a beret on the left speaking with Nguyen Cao Ky is not a VN Marine (his tiger stripes has not the Marine corps cut and no fourragère) and could be at least an high ranking officer. The man with the beret on the right next NKK is a marine but the beret has the insignia on the left side, opposite side of the official way?!

Valery

I don't think so. US VNMC advisors worn SVN berets with right side insignia and there is no beret tradition in the Corps that could influenced a such solution.

Cheers

Valery

Hi,

Valery

I found other pics from the same photo album, and obiviously there is a hig Rank ARVN Marines wearing his beret on the wrong side. I suppose that he wore a US Green Beret (so wore it on the left side) while other wore a vietnam made Marines issued Green Beret.

It was clearly a no alcolhol reception since there were only Xa Xi beverages on the table (vietnamese equivalent of Coca Cola but tastes much better w00t.gif )

Cheers

post-1523-1192893848.jpg

post-1523-1192893856.jpg

hochiminhtrail

so this Foto was taken after 67 when teu became president an Ky Vice pres.

Alex

I found other pics from the same photo album, and obiviously there is a hig Rank ARVN Marines wearing his beret on the wrong side. I suppose that he wore a US Green Beret (so wore it on the left side) while other wore a vietnam made Marines issued Green Beret.

It was clearly a no alcolhol reception since there were only Xa Xi beverages on the table (vietnamese equivalent of Coca Cola but tastes much better w00t.gif )

Cheers

:blink::blink:

Never seen that before, thank you Vu for these very interesting pics. The high ranking officer wearing his beret in a proper way could be the VNMC commander in chief.

HMT you were right, he perhaps thought that the left side insignia was cool and sharp or he put his beret in the wrong side after the authorities cocktail. ;) ..

Cheers

Valery

hochiminhtrail

Hy Copran and Valery

were do you guys think this Foto was taken, there is Large VNM marines eagle decor in the sand, So i think it must be in I Corps, was it the Marines headquaters or was it a VNMC base.?

The banner say welcoming Vietnam president, but i cant figure where it is???

Cheers

Alex

Hi Valery,

The High Ranking Marines with the eyesglasses was the Brigade Gen Khang who was VNMC Commander in chief, the meeting was after Tet 68 with the Trau Dien (crazy buffalo) battalion.

Here are some pics of VNMC that were published on the Leathernecks magazines en 65

post-1523-1192906210.jpg

hochiminhtrail

je le crois aussi, mais je vois que beaucoup de monde regarde ce topic, c est super interessant

as you can see, many french collectors on this subject, i just wonder why think.gif

Cheers

a plus

Alex

Je crois qu'on point ou en est ce topic, on pourrait passer au français ou bien se téléphoner entre nous ! :lol:

Dear American collectors (and all the others),

Would you show some of your Tiger Stripe items, I suppose that many of you have Tiger Stripe uniforms in your collection. Pictures will be also welcomed.

Since we, french collectors, know each other and had already seen our own collections. We will be happy to share any information about Tiger Stripe or other ARVN + US Advisor camo uniforms we have, but we are also looking to see items from you, we think there are many fully badged, beautiful camo uniforms around there in the USA that we don't have the opportunity to see.

Cheers

post-1809-1192972406.jpg

Here is another one, patched to a 1/11 Infantry recon scout member. It is a CIDG issue splotch pattern enlarged with strips of VNMC pattern cloth.

This shirt is located in... France, where else? :lol:

hochiminhtrail

Hy guys myself being French but living abroad, i have one question for you, where do you find all the items, is it from the large Vietnamses community in France?

a plus

Alex

post-1809-1192972406.jpg

Here is another one, patched to a 1/11 Infantry recon scout member. It is a CIDG issue splotch pattern enlarged with strips of VNMC pattern cloth.

This shirt is located in... France, where else? :lol:

95% from ebay and online dealers

4% from friends in France

1% from Vietnam

Totally true, and of course Ebay USA thanks for the weakness of the US Dollars :rolleyes: (sorry), sometime we had some US militaria from our thrift stores during the 90s (we still have pleinty of fully badged BDU or DCU). But I think people from Germany should have more lucks since there are a lot of US Bases there, right now and during the Vietnam war.

I'd rather try my chance in Ebay than with US dealer, sometime we make good deals. Since I only collect camo and Tiger Stripe, I do not have problems with put together patches like we have with jungle jackets.

Cheers