Tiger Stripes

Andrei

Gil,

I think your jacket is vintage vietnam era but retailored. The cut is one of the most earliest of all the TS cuts, you can see in the book Green Berets at War of Shelby Stanton (the one with plenty of photos, not a text book) that in 62-65, almost all CIDG troops wore this model of jacket. The pattern is named John Wayne Sparse according to Johnson book (again sorry to refer to him). I have one mint set that I bought from a guy that said he had got it from his father who was SF in Vietnam.

I wil post some pics when I will have time to make them

Cheers

Gil,

I think that Vu is right. Your TS shirt looks to be a altered early design tailored to look like a NVA combat jacket with waistband and two buttons. This is a nice original jacket.

I have a NVA combat jacket and I will post a picture as soon as I can.

Andrei

DEAR COLLECTORS

SOME SAMPLE OF TIGER STRIPE

-1 FIRST TYPE VNMC TIGER STRIPE SHIRT

-2 MODIFIED GOLD TIGER STRIPE SHIRT

-3 VIETNAMESE TAILOR TIGER STRIPE SHIRT ( 1st vnmc variant)

-4 VIETNAMESE TAILOR TIGER STRIPE BERETS

post-1486-1192111657.jpg

post-1486-1192111671.jpg

SUITE

-5 VIETNAMESE TAILOR TIGER STRIPE CAP ( vnmc variant)

-6 VIETNAMESE TAILOR TIGER STRIPE CAP ( advisor dense)

-7 VIETNAMESE TAILOR TIGER STRIPE BOONIE ( late war and splotch pattern)

post-1486-1192112712.jpg

post-1486-1192112726.jpg

To add to the discussion, here's a little oddity I once owned... after the war there was apparently plenty of Tiger Stripe material left in Vietnam.

This is a post war made jacket that is cut in a pattern similar to PAVN/ NVA patterns. It is a little hard to see but it features a wide waist band and two pleated chest pockets. It is cut short to the midriff, like an Ike jacket. This example was not fully finished across the bottom, and may have been a shop reject. This was imported to the US in the mid-1990's.

Gil,

Here are pics of my set that is similar to your jacket, mine is mint so the stripes still remain black

post-1523-1192124806.jpg

A close up of the shirt. On Dogtags website, the same shirt with Mike forces patches is offered for 2500 usd (a little crazy price I think, but would be fine for some hardcore collectors)

Cheers

post-1523-1192124947.jpg