Tiger Stripes

Andrei

Hi

To make the topic advance, why don't we use first old TS ID in the same time with RJ names. So newbie can easily make the crosscheck, and then free to them use the name they want when they are used with them.

my 2 cents

No dude, you are just gonna make things more confusing, you guys want to keep drinking Johnson's Kool Aid and think he's the Buddha of tigers, go ahead. The rest of us will carry on the way we did BEFORE that idiot came around!

Hi

To make the topic advance, why don't we use first old TS ID in the same time with RJ names. So newbie can easily make the crosscheck, and then free to them use the name they want when they are used with them.

my 2 cents

thats diplomatic

No dude, you are just gonna make things more confusing, you guys want to keep drinking Johnson's Kool Aid and think he's the Buddha of tigers, go ahead. The rest of us will carry on the way we did BEFORE that idiot came around!

you want that we learn old ts id, but you dont wanna help,

and that will be a victory for rj names

GIMP

If you want to start a fight then you are way out of your depth .

We are gentlemen on this forum and pride ourselfs in being just so .

Take Spikes words and chew on them before posting the first thing that comes into your head .

OWEN .

Spike,

the answer is not the one I expected from the advance collector like you.

I learnt the old TS ID names in this thread, and it took me a while to get used with, so be more tolerant with the newbie there. For myself, I will post my items with both names.

GIMP

If you want to start a fight then you are way out of your depth .

We are gentlemen on this forum and pride ourselfs in being just so .

Take Spikes words and chew on them before posting the first thing that comes into your head .

OWEN .

i said it before, that i respect everybody and i dont wanna start a fight,

BUT you guys dont understand, that i dont have OTHER names for ts BEFORE!

and as a new collector i use names what i got.

instead to correct me, there are hates and bites.

for example:

at first i wrote; "jw sparse" --- its ok to correct me, its better to say "the collector name for this is "....."

and if i insult somebody, i will excuse!!

regards

vintageproductions

Okay as a moderator here is what I have to add to this subject.

Gimp, you asked for advice in the beginning and I think you have been given some really good advice. The poster's have tried to explain to you, me included, to look through this lengthy post, and you will find most of your answers. Everyone understands that you are using RJ's tiger stripe book as reference. Instead of arguing with everyone, again, just read the posts, evrything will become crystal clear to your questions. Kammo-man has a great point, that instead of being a keyboard commando, and typing the first thing that comes to your mind, sit back read the info and digest it, before you jump back in and respond. Maybe it is coming across the wrong way, or it is not translating properly, but it has been said way tooooooo many times on this Forum, don't let emotions overide clear thinking and typing.

Okay as a moderator here is what I have to add to this subject.

Gimp, you asked for advice in the beginning and I think you have been given some really good advice. The poster's have tried to explain to you, me included, to look through this lengthy post, and you will find most of your answers. Everyone understands that you are using RJ's tiger stripe book as reference. Instead of arguing with everyone, again, just read the posts, evrything will become crystal clear to your questions. Kammo-man has a great point, that instead of being a keyboard commando, and typing the first thing that comes to your mind, sit back read the info and digest it, before you jump back in and respond. Maybe it is coming across the wrong way, or it is not translating properly, but it has been said way tooooooo many times on this Forum, don't let emotions overide clear thinking and typing.

Also, and this is being a moderator, does your screen name mean something else, or is it just the slang name for a handicapped person?

im very grateful for your advices.

and i learning step by step. certainly, rj's book is my "first" reference, BUT i know there are more information about tigers, thats the point why im a member in this forum.

i never say that i dont want to use the old ts id, but for each id name i have to see the different pattern.

and i said it before, at first i use the rj names, after experience i will replace rj names in old ts id's for myself.

i think everyone is mistunderstood everyone.

peace out

It's been a few months since I decided to sell off my VN collection, both on the forum here and off the forum, due

to change of interests.....but reading this thread about RJ and RJ's book on Tigerstripes, I'd like to add my thoughts on the subject.

As a collector, we all need books....but at the same time, there are other sources of information of course.

These other sources would include this forum for instance, fellow collectors, veterans, etc.

There were collections of Tigerstripe prior to RJ's book being released and therefore those collectors who aren't

aware of this....should ackowledge the fact.

RJ's book is quite known, yes....to the beginner collectors, the more seasoned collectors, and the very

experienced collectors.

I purchased the book way after I started collecting VN items, even after I had legitimate

examples of Tigerstripe, so I can't say that I used it as a bible by any means while purchasing any of my Tigerstripe

garments.....I bet you that I looked at the book maybe once!

There were times where I used his "nicknames" for the patterns, and then there were times where I didn't....but

overall, I knew what the patterns were, plain and simple....ie: Gold / Silver / Etc.

My thoughts on RJ went downhill when I had purchased my very first Tigerstripe shirt many years ago, and yes...it was from him. About a year or year and a half later, I decided I was going to sell it....by this time I had gained knowledge and other pieces of Tigerstripe garments. What I came to find, upon new examination of it, was that it was FAKE......a very good repro yes....but once again FAKE.

I was very angry with this find, but yet....happy that I was able to detect it with what I had learned, and did I use his book to learn from? No.

Taking a look at several of his auctions in the past, I came to realize that I wasn't the only one who would be burned....as I had seen several items in which he had listed, that were absolutely no-good.

I ended up selling my brand new copy of his book on the forum here, is it something that I would recommend

for others to buy for themselves? Sure....but I would recommend it in regards to having it be a source to distinguish certain characteristics from one pattern to another, etc....not to make it a bible.

I believe it's all a SLOW learning process, that takes years to do....there is a vast amount of knowledge here within this thread and the more time that is taken to absorb it, this will give any inexperienced collectors great insight on

Tigerstripes.....

Ebay has always been a place, where collectors flock....it has changed for the worse and will continue to get worse with all the different types of fakes that are being produced these days, but if you keep a good eye out....there are still honest sellers who offer original merchandise, such as Tigerstripe garments on there....but you have to be dedicated in regards to searching!

Hope I covered everything I wanted to say.

Cheers.

Duffy

Thank you for being candid about the rip off artist RJ .

It goes to prove he is in the business to scam collectors abet a novice one such as our member here.

Like other older Tiger collectors all agree RJ just simply made up names to fuel his one day dumping of his collection .

In this modern world of names , rubber stamps , instant information it is no wonder his names still hand around .

But this being said naming a Vietnamese camouflage pattern invented in 1957 , in turn copied from a French pattern from 1951 John Wayne is insulting .

But this is the tiny mind of RJ and his ego .

owen

Which shirt are you talking about .

owen

I think this shirt was his , a TS Product very early repro, sold for a big money in 2004

post-1523-1246386709.jpg

After looking around everywhere for years one of these US NAVY body armor vests came my way .

It is dated 1957 and is a size 42 .

It is being worn over a Japanese Tigerstripe produced 13 pocket flight suit that is in the harder to find light weight fabric .

If I change out the flight helmets for a Navy type we will be looking at the uniform worn by a Yankie papa 13 crewman .

Here is the vest and guy from my war room .

owen

post-2009-1246386808.jpg

Cop

I have had this same shirt and it was 1oo% good .

I have never seen a TP in his cut .

My shirt had the same thin lime green buttons as this .

So with out fingering it myself it is hard to know .

Do you own this one ?

G

If you look deep into my Tigerstripe collection you will see your shirt .

Note it lives right at the start .

So that means it is one of the first produced patterns .

This should be considered a copy of the 1st Viet Marine Corps pattern .

It came into service sometime in 1962-3.

However this pattern was not issued to VMC personel only Viet Army - and other related military CIDG types .

Its name is Tigerstripe.

It is first Army cut .

owen

post-2009-1246387799.jpg

G

If you look deep into my Tigerstripe collection you will see your shirt .

Note it lives right at the start .

So that means it is one of the first produced patterns .

This should be considered a copy of the 1st Viet Marine Corps pattern .

It came into service sometime in 1962-3.

However this pattern was not issued to VMC personel only Viet Army - and other related military CIDG types .

Its name is Tigerstripe.

It is first Army cut .

owen

owen,

is named only tigerstripe (=early produced tigerstripe = SORRY jw sparse) ok i check

thanks

Cop

I have had this same shirt and it was 1oo% good .

I have never seen a TP in his cut .

My shirt had the same thin lime green buttons as this .

So with out fingering it myself it is hard to know .

Do you own this one ?

Owen,

The pocket were retailored and the buttons replaced, but the pattern is the early TS product, the shirt made the world trip, sold from the US to AUstralia, then bought back to US by RJ ( who stated himself to the seller that it was a fake, and he bought back just for his archives) , then sold to another guy (the same RJ stated that this is a 100% TS legit).

Cop

Thanks for the info .

I do see the weird pattern piece at the front .

Re-worked just like a custom one eh???

Funny world .

Rj tricks .

I am glad you liked my vest .

It looks like you had fun last weekend !!!!

owen

Cop

Thanks for the info .

I do see the weird pattern piece at the front .

Re-worked just like a custom one eh???

Funny world .

Rj tricks .

I am glad you liked my vest .

It looks like you had fun last weekend !!!!

owen

Owen,

Yes, was quite a good tailoring work, almost as good as our friend from Oakland. I was interested to buy this shirt, but a very aware french member of this forum, after few researches of the CIB award, told me that the shirt was put together. Finally, I'm happy to not waste my money (and in the same time, know the true nature of RJ)

I just let some of my camo sets see the summer sun last weekend, I'm glad you liked the displays

Cop

From your pictures it looks like your cousins in Amercia fed you well on your holidays !!!!!

owen

not my cousins, but New Orleans Cajun food :D

Yes, this set is one of my favorite, early tiger in Asian cut (just covered pockets but without pleat). The black thick stripes look really spectacular