Tiger Stripes

Andrei

gimp

You are killing me .

owen

1. i see your reaction, thats mean this shirt is original?

2. some days ago i lose an auction for a mint john wayne dense and this sparse is my alternative win ^^

Gimp .

Your shirt is 100% good .

And may I add in one of the best tiger patterns ever .

Got to love those big fat stripes .

Like Spike said we try not to use RJs names as they were made up so he could swindle vets out of their uniforms and them market this to a growing audence of buyers .

owen

Gimp .

Your shirt is 100% good .

And may I add in one of the best tiger patterns ever .

Got to love those big fat stripes .

Like Spike said we try not to use RJs names as they were made up so he could swindle vets out of their uniforms and them market this to a growing audence of buyers .

owen

yes,

i understand you guys, BUT it is difficult to explain which pattern i or you mean, if i have some questions.

and for an absolute beginner like me, it is very very difficult.

i have no more information how i could names the tigers

its difficult, too, to find members of a forces, who used different tigers

and if i use rj names everybody understand it, too, right?

so everybody have to understand me or somebody teach me all the names with all the given patterns ;)

regards

Its real easy

Silver

Gold

Purples

Viet marine .

Japanese made .

Keep it simple and it will all fall into place .

Read this whole thread from the start and you will be in business

owen

Its real easy

Silver

Gold

Purples

Viet marine .

Japanese made .

Keep it simple and it will all fall into place .

Read this whole thread from the start and you will be in business

owen

thx,

but how could i name my last posted shirt now ? there are two "different" pattern, ok you said fat stripes, but there are some specification too.

and if i don't have a shirt or pic, its difficult to explain, if i would like to buy some special tigers pattern.

rj is somebody who try to cataloguize the pattern and be real, i think everybody in this forum is happy, that there is a book like tiger patterns exist.

the names are like a "guide", but nobody have to use them, but everybody understand them.

ok they sounds bad, but he use the name "john wayne" pattern and verybody know, " ahhh ok the movie the green berets, there are some soldiers the wear this "

i have contact with an older gentleman (outside this forum) and we transfer information about tigers, and its very helpful, if he says late war lightweight, cut xy, etc...etc....

and he has very good experience and a huge huge collection of tigers!!

this is a fast communication.

regards

Tigers were in use for at least 10 years before JW even used them .

Naming a pattern after him is wrong .

Follow the names if you want most choose not to .

Experience shows through when talking about tigers .

Your shirt shown above is an early war item .In use from 1963 .

A very close copy of the French pattern .

I see most of the ts collectors don't like to use JW's terms for ts, not saying i love them but i would like to hear how would you name all those ts patterns or why you didn't wright a book on that subject so we wouldn't use JW 'S terms but yours :lol: , simple as that :thumbsup:

Everybody knew what we were talking about with the old terms before that knucklehead Johnson came in and made up those silly rump terms. Just made things more confusing for everybody.

I see most of the ts collectors don't like to use JW's terms for ts, not saying i love them but i would like to hear how would you name all those ts patterns or why you didn't wright a book on that subject so we wouldn't use JW 'S terms but yours :lol: , simple as that :thumbsup:

yes, thats what i mean, too.

ok we can use the old style to explain some patterns, but if i don't no how to explain, i can use the rj "names" to give everybody the information.

like: "i need a gold tiger, yes it looks, mmmhhh so like this and this and this.... and has this cut...."

to many words to explain one pattern.

in this forum i see posts, where people presenting his "collection", but there are no texts where somebody search for some tigers and where he try to explain a pattern...

and if he don't have pic of this wanted tiger, it will be difficult to explain.

regards

why does nobody ask a vet how they called the different tigers, when they got them and used them in nam.

i think the name "silver" and "gold" is a new coined word of collectors after war and rj names are after the collectors names.

if you want an originality name of the different ts pattern, so we have to ask the vets who used it.

regards

vintageproductions

As what has been said before, the veterans that were issued these uniforms just called them camos or tiger fatigues. There was no "special" name for them. The veterans were not collectrs. They were issued or had a set made, and that was it.

Since the late 1970's/ early1980's the names for tiger stirpe patterns were Gold ( US or Asian patterns), silver, lightweight, Japanese made or Viet marine pattern.

bravo_2_zero

I guess like every soldier inc. me , you wear what pleases your eye. The mix and match tiger print to me means experience and the matching means crisp FNG.

If i could have chosen a tiger set back in Nam ( via Dr. Who's TARDIS ), I may have gone for Gold jacket and Silver pants and well sun bleached to boot.

I think we as collectors put WAY too much thought into this. To the soldier, it's just camouflage or tigers. Just don't over think all this.

After doing a lot of reading personal accounts the one name that pops up is not tigerstripes but Tigersuit .

Read Michael Herrs Dispatches .

He talks about talking uppers from his left Tigersuit pocket in the bush and talking downers from his right tigersuit pocket when heading back to base .

If you want to be a train spotter and use the sparce and dense sub-classes you can but to be honest RJ only made his book and prevous news letter to pilfer vets bring backs for his own financial gain .

To me this is sad .

I will not use his names .

owen

Actually Owen, Herr talks about a 4th Div LRRP take uppers from his left tigersuit pocket, not himself.

As far as Johnson and his book and names, nobody, at least the guys that were collecting tigers well before his annoying book came out, will NEVER, EVER use the names he made up. Some new collectors, especially those who have been collecting tigers for 10yrs or less, think this book is the bible and that these name he gives for cuts and styles are official terms when in fact it just Johnson's over analytical, ego driven names that at the end of the day have made tiger stripes WAY more confusing to collector than it was before this narcissistic guy came around.

While I understand his book is all alot of you guys have to go by to ID tiger stripes, just take all his BS with a grain of salt, NOTHING he says should be etched in stone. I have to admit that his intent was good and alot of work went into it, the execution was bad. I and alot of other guys cringe when guys quote verbatum from Johnson when describing some tigers they found. It should be a hint to everybody when the hardcore collectors NEVER use his terminology. BTW, you want to know what I mean about his ego, go read one of his eBay auctions....

Thanks for correcting me Spike .

It has been at least 20 years since I read that book but the Tigersuit thing always stuck with me .

To all new collectors of Tigerstripes do yourself a favour and check out RJs E-bay auctions .

The guys rules read like a list of me me me .

I have it on good authority from the Rag mill where he does business that he has spun a web of lies about the value of military items .

Caught on .

And his names are thought of as gospel .

What a joke

owen

Actually Owen, Herr talks about a 4th Div LRRP take uppers from his left tigersuit pocket, not himself.

As far as Johnson and his book and names, nobody, at least the guys that were collecting tigers well before his annoying book came out, will NEVER, EVER use the names he made up. Some new collectors, especially those who have been collecting tigers for 10yrs or less, think this book is the bible and that these name he gives for cuts and styles are official terms when in fact it just Johnson's over analytical, ego driven names that at the end of the day have made tiger stripes WAY more confusing to collector than it was before this narcissistic guy came around.

While I understand his book is all alot of you guys have to go by to ID tiger stripes, just take all his BS with a grain of salt, NOTHING he says should be etched in stone. I have to admit that his intent was good and alot of work went into it, the execution was bad. I and alot of other guys cringe when guys quote verbatum from Johnson when describing some tigers they found. It should be a hint to everybody when the hardcore collectors NEVER use his terminology. BTW, you want to know what I mean about his ego, go read one of his eBay auctions....

@ spike

i know what you meaning,

i think im not stupid, i know that rj is not the godfather of TS, but his book is my first connection to TS after "kevin lyles - us uniform in nam book" and some pics & infos in the web.

thats why im searching for people like u and the collector in this forum.

and everybody is starting with lack of knowledge, so give new collectors an opportunity to learn about tigers name step by step...and rj names will be replace by old given collectors name.

i think this forum is a good basement to share the passion of collecting TS with other collectors.

thx

vintageproductions

Gimp, you will learn more from this tiger stripe thread then you could ever learn from one book. On this thread you have some of the most advanced tiger stripe collectors in the wrold sharing their knowledge. A lot of these guys have twenty to thrity years collecting experience each. I am not trying to be arrogant or a snob, but there are a few of us who already had very advanced collections beofre RJ's name was ever even heard of. I know this is a huge thread, but it is worth it for a collector to take the time and read it. Even if the collector has just a small interest in tiger stripes, by the time they are done, they will be hooked for life, and will hopefully save themseleves a lot of money and will be able to identify most patterns.

Gimp, you will learn more from this tiger stripe thread then you could ever learn from one book. On this thread you have some of the most advanced tiger stripe collectors in the wrold sharing their knowledge. A lot of these guys have twenty to thrity years collecting experience each. I am not trying to be arrogant or a snob, but there are a few of us who already had very advanced collections beofre RJ's name was ever even heard of. I know this is a huge thread, but it is worth it for a collector to take the time and read it. Even if the collector has just a small interest in tiger stripes, by the time they are done, they will be hooked for life, and will hopefully save themseleves a lot of money and will be able to identify most patterns.

yes, i know and im very thankful about your knowlegde and i respect everybody, but rj, too^^.

i hope you guys can and want help me and other new collectors and maybe...someday i can presenting a very rare TS what you guys don't have :)

regards

Gimp

You just do not get it !!!!

No member on the tigerstripe thread has ANY respect for RJ .

As simple as that .

If you go out of your way to rip off a vet you are dead to us .

RJ was and still is a scam artist .

Why did you in your first posts ask for help in iding tigers ?

If you believed in his book you should have had all the knowledge you need .

As Bob stated you are talking to the worlds foremost Tigerstripe collectors here .

If you want , we will all go out of our way to help , that is what we do here .

If you want to use RJs names well you are on your own .

owen .

Gimp

You just do not get it !!!!

No member on the tigerstripe thread has ANY respect for RJ .

As simple as that .

If you go out of your way to rip off a vet you are dead to us .

RJ was and still is a scam artist .

Why did you in your first posts ask for help in iding tigers ?

If you believed in his book you should have had all the knowledge you need .

As Bob stated you are talking to the worlds foremost Tigerstripe collectors here .

If you want , we will all go out of our way to help , that is what we do here .

If you want to use RJs names well you are on your own .

owen .

i said it before, everybody learn step by step and rj names will be replace by the old given names. so give me an opportunity to learn.

i respect everybody because nobody do bad to me.

and i dont rip off a vet, im vietnamese, my uncle was in the arvn, my other uncle was in the saigoner police and my oldest brother was in the vn airborne,

if i got a ts of a vet i will keep his ts honorably.

regards

So why do you not use the names your family use for Tigerstripes !!!!!!!!

owen

they dont know more than me, the only name is tiger camo for them, they are not collectors....

thats why im here to learn more about tiger and there names,

i dont know before that everybody is hating rj and i use names of source i got at first!!

i dont defend rj's book, but if somebody of you guys issue a book i will use this too.

and if there are many names for one single pattern i will learn all, because maybe there is somebody who knews no more names, what he got. like me!

and if i have all names and info in this forum, i will use them.

regrads