Tiger Stripes

Andrei

Trey is sending me a set .

I should have them this week .

One must remember when making repos it is good to build in a flaw .

As dopy as that sounds it protects the Genuinne item and the repo from fakers , adding patches ,and selling as genuinne .

Trey knows this and added a small flaw .

Mash also did this .

The price is afordable to the typical reenactor and in these hard times that is all that is important

owen

When your girl washes it hot by mistake you will laugh instead of sending her to the coutch for the night .

My wife is nowhere close to my fatigues and not a mile from my tigerstripes when it comes to washing, i do the cold water-hand wash myself, just in case :lol:thumbsup.gif

bravo_2_zero
My wife is nowhere close to my fatigues and not a mile from my tigerstripes when it comes to washing, i do the cold water-hand wash myself, just in case :lol:thumbsup.gif

I have to watch my other half as she somewhat likes the look of all my experimental stuff , i've cough her wearing it on one occasion crying.gif

I got my set in from Trey. I am impressed.

The pattern size is the same as the Mash sets. The picture shown here in this thread and on the Moore site is deceiving.

The buttons are lighter in color than Mash or my real sets. The Mash buttons look just like my real sets.

The cloth compares relatively well to the real sets, just a little lighter weight, by maybe 5-10%. They are about identical to the Mash cloth weight.

The color new (Moore) is real close the new set Mash color. I will photograph this set next to one of my Mash sets that is still unwashed.

When I got out a set of originals, the faded Mash set, and this new set, I realized the Mash fade is not the same as the originals I have. I never caught that before.

I will take some photographs and send them to Bob or someone to post because I haven't figured out how to post pics yet. I am a computer idiot.

These sets are better than the Moore gold sets. Trey has done us all a favor for those guys who want to wear tiger suits and not ruin a historical piece.

Watching these new sets fade and comparing them to Mash and originals will be an interesting experiment. I am going to buy another set, or two from Trey.

THANKS TREY, SIR.

i got my set from Trey last night .

I am impressed .

The color is spot on and the buttons do not have that much difference to cry about .

The fabric is a little lighter than a mint example ,but these are for playing in ,not worshiping .

I washed the beret in warm water and left it out in the California sun for the day so results will be posted .

I have a feeling they will purple .

There is a lot of overtlocking on seams not found on originals but that is what you get when you are in prouuction of quantity .

Like I said before the pattern is a couple of % off , for the uber geek not good , for the reenactor no problem .

This will hopefully stop the fakers pushing them on a new collector as real .

Trey marked his sets Moore Militaria ,which is good .

My overall impression is positive .

Reprpducing camouflage is a time consuming process full of many pitfalls ,but Trey has overcame these and once again given the XXXL reenactor hope that they will get a combat uniform to fit them ,and look close to the original .

owen

PS

Only 250 sets were made , so watch these also become extinct .

...i still didn't get my set but very glad to hear they look ok, Owen knows i am a stich nazi :lol: but nevertheless happy i ordered a set , boonie & beret , wanna see what the Israeli sun will do to them :lol:

Don't worry Sasha, you will be fine and they will meet strict criteria! I apologize that I take poor pics, but rest assured you will pleased with what shows up. Owen and I talked about this last night at length. I had a set of mint originals from him as well as a mix of repro and original used as reference points. Compared to Owen's original dead mint set, the largest part of the pattern is about 1/4" smaller on the repro (and happens to match Mash for size exactly). Some photos of originals exacerbate this difference due to the sizes involved. An Asian S or M in a pic appears to have the pattern dominate much larger than a US large for a 44" chest. Simple ratio of black strip part to overall size allotment. Considering that originals have a repeat length deviation in excess of this, we should be good to go. My thought though was to make it just a hair tighter than Owens to distinguish the two. I feel the colors and fabric are excellent and about as close as you will get if not just the smallest bit lighter. The buttons are darker than the pic implies, though not quite as dark as the sample from Owen. We did stamp them Moore Militaria as I feel extremely confident that they will start showing up as original in the next year or two.

Overall I am very, very happy with them and feel that they are maybe a little nicer than our golds. I also hope to provide a service for the reenactor with these. I shudder to think what Owen would want for his mint originals and even good repro Mash sets are fetching $400+. That is a little much to go and squat in the mud with. My hope is that these fill an affordable nitch for regular use by demanding customers and collectors who expect a good copy.

I also want to thank everyone that has helped, commented and been interested in these sets. In one week we have moved about 30% of the sets and headgear which has been unprecedented and we have had many kind responses. -- Trey

I have a question concerning tigerstripe berets , was it common for SF guys in Vietnam to have insignia on their tigerstripe berets and if yes please post some pics , thanks thumbsup.gif

I am overall happy with Moores tadpoles, a lot of tailoring ( pants are baggy style like jungle fatigues, guess a lot of fat americans these days < jacket needs to be shortened ) but then they will be awesome , boonie needs trimming, pattern is great, chest pockets are a tad too small and the cargo pockets a tad too big but other than that a very, very fine copy !!!

003-13.jpg

006-15.jpg

I am glad you were pleased! The pocket size is interesting. I originally copied Owen's sizes, so I guess there is some slight deviation in the original manufacturing. Unfortunately I could not get my hands on a large sampling of them to take an average. On the body size, yeah we made the tails longer so they would tuck in. This is always a tough question: where do you draw the line between authentic and what customers want? I have found that you can show a million pictures that show 36 inch waist tigers with a 27" inseam and sleeve lengths that come mid forearm, and people still want them to fit their body. The Vietnamese seemed to not have a concept of American height to weight to inseam ratios and originals are all short. However, people will not buy them if you make them this way. I figure that if you make them longer, it is a simple hem to shorten the body or inseam. You can always take it off, but you can never add!

This is the same for the boonie as well. Everyone always wants a short brim boonie, but honestly I have never personally seen a factory prodcued short brim boonie that was original. Some were taken down by tailors and some were hacked in the field, but all of the unissued originals I have seen were "standard" brim. I have also had more vets tell me they preferred full brim to shortened. I have all of John Burford's photo collection (he was a LRRP and then Ranger in the 101st) and almost everyone had full brims. When I asked him about it, he remembered the short brim as somewhat unpopular and impractical. If you look inhis book "LRRPS In Action" you will see in the photos that Larry Chambers is about the only one with a short brim tiger boonie. Obviously different units have different style, etc., but this was another case of it can be cut down but not added to! You can get two boonies, cut one down and leave one to have both!

I am heading for the talior tomorrow morning , i know when he finnishes it will fit me awesome , me love short brim boonie :lol: & rather tight pants, girls love that , nah just kidding !

I will put on the darker Mash buttons just because i'm sick, you know what i mean :lol:

I cannot lie, I like the short brim as well for the cool looking factor (I kept two for myself one short and one long). As for tight pants, if they are too tight you cannot put an armadillo in your trousers! I always like one off projects as well. I have made tiger jumpers, shirts, etc. for my kids. Here is my 3 year old modeling an original war-time production Thai Tailor made tiger shirt with incountry insignia.

Merilyn%20Tiger%20Shirt%20002.jpg

Merilyn%20Tiger%20Shirt%20003.jpg

pwmiraldi67
I cannot lie, I like the short brim as well for the cool looking factor (I kept two for myself one short and one long). As for tight pants, if they are too tight you cannot put an armadillo in your trousers! I always like one off projects as well. I have made tiger jumpers, shirts, etc. for my kids. Here is my 3 year old modeling an original war-time production Thai Tailor made tiger shirt with incountry insignia.

Merilyn%20Tiger%20Shirt%20002.jpg

Merilyn%20Tiger%20Shirt%20003.jpg

Hey trey

Stop exploiting your kids!!!! LOL

nice hat and shirt bro!!!

paul

NobleLoyalGSD
Kids in cammo are cool

Painful memory to follow...

When I was in Jr. High in the early 1980s a friend and myself played "army" a lot in the neighborhood. One day he found his dad's tiger stripe shirt which had been tucked away in the attic. His dad didn't seem to mind so this only enhanced our "Vietnam experience".

His dad was a WWII, Korea, and Vietnam vet, and retired as a Colonel in the US Marines. What I know now from a vivid memory of what that shirt looked like (I was soooo envious) was that it was Viet Marine pattern with the epaulets, reinforced shoulder, pen pocket, and extra little snaps sewn to the edges of the pocket flaps to hold them down. It also had tapes with his last name (white letters on green) with "US MARINES" (black on OD) along with direct embroidered colonel's eagles on the collar lapels in either a white or silvery-white thread very finely stitched. It didn't have the Viet Marine insignia but I do remember that his dad had the patches separate along with a combined action platoon pin, welcome to Vietnam type literature, military maps of Nam, etc.

I also remember how peculiar we thought it was that the more that shirt got worn and washed that the black tiger stripes turned purple, because he wore the $#!t out of it. If we only knew then what I know now. Such is life.

We were cool, though, and John was the coolest with that shirt. pinch.gif

That is a great childhood story .

War stuff was meant to be played with .

Who cares if it got abused .

The important thing is the shirt did its job and brought your friends daddy home .

Camouflage was meant to save lives .

I lost a 1st pattern Farborne Sikes commando knife in the woods when I was a kid .

It was given to me by a locial X paratrooper who jumped into Arnhem in 1944 .

When I told him I lost it he didnt care and gave me a Dennison smock and a water bottle cover and told me to run along and have fun with the items !!

I wore that thing ragged , and it was down to my knees .

Guilt ....... None

I looked cool and had a water bottle cover to carry my sweets and sandwitch around all summer long .

owen

...and i remember back in 1970 , running around in a Waffen-SS double decal M-35 helmet, playing WW-2 , older people were giving me the weird look, but hey, that was Carl Schultz park in east Manhattan , those were the days :lol:

Sasha ,

I scraped all the zimmert of a fantastic luft cammo helmet Red cross helmet just to see if it had any decals .

And it did .

It was then painted gloss black and ss ed up .

I was 10 ish and it seemed the right thing to do at the time !!!!

He He He .

owen

firebird_one

Hi Guys,

I got my tiger stripe set from Moore yesterday and I must say that im pretty impressed with it. Im just hoping I will be able to buy a couple of more sets before its sold out.

I will add some pictures of it on my home page later on this week.

Regards

Ken from Sweden.