Tiger Stripes

Andrei

Hello Jerome,

AWESOME!!!! w00t.gif

I have one more TS but have to dig it out.

BTW - I´m very impressesd by yor collection!!!

I wish I just had ONE Beo Gam uniform - you have a complete cabinet full as it seems w00t.gif

690usd for this shirt faked VNMC advisor shirt, how can people waste too much money for this scrap.

Cop

Thanks for the heads up .

This guy makes me go AAAAGGGHHH!!!!

OWEN

Cop

Ebay is like a shop selling everything you cam imagine .

It has crooks working the cash regester.

Its sales men are sharks .

Last but not least it has BIG windows , so that the sharks can see the un-supecting poor collector walking down the street, who has not done his research in and throw him to the crooks who in turn repeat process ,go to one certain shop in Vietnam and get another shirt made .

Repeat this every 5-6 months .

owen

hello,

I now own this very same set of Tigerstripes. I cannot comment on the origin or pattern nuances of the tigerstripe print or the cloth, but the set is clearly Far East / SEA manufacture, and features chevron reinforcement stitching to ends of the epaulettes that is exactly consistent with an ARVN ERDL heavy cotton airborne set I have. To my mind, this is a 'fashion' set of Tigerstripes - the jacket shows shadow to where there originally were lower flapped-patch pockets, thus making the shirt more of a 'Safari' style shirt. A pity that these were removed at some point. The trousers are rather exceptional, in that they have unhemmed frayed-edge bell-bottoms (patte d'elephant), and the cargo pockets are far too small and tightly placed to be functional. If the set had been tailored from pale denim, not Tigerstripe, then is would be dead-on 1971/72/73 rock fashion.

My feeling is that whoever had this set custom-made, was more interested in striking a fashionable pose than in tropical concealment, and the set is no less interesting for that - I would place it in a category along with party suits, tour jackets etc

American Graffiti
hello,

I now own this very same set of Tigerstripes. I cannot comment on the origin or pattern nuances of the tigerstripe print or the cloth, but the set is clearly Far East / SEA manufacture, and features chevron reinforcement stitching to ends of the epaulettes that is exactly consistent with an ARVN ERDL heavy cotton airborne set I have. To my mind, this is a 'fashion' set of Tigerstripes - the jacket shows shadow to where there originally were lower flapped-patch pockets, thus making the shirt more of a 'Safari' style shirt. A pity that these were removed at some point. The trousers are rather exceptional, in that they have unhemmed frayed-edge bell-bottoms (patte d'elephant), and the cargo pockets are far too small and tightly placed to be functional. If the set had been tailored from pale denim, not Tigerstripe, then is would be dead-on 1971/72/73 rock fashion.

My feeling is that whoever had this set custom-made, was more interested in striking a fashionable pose than in tropical concealment, and the set is no less interesting for that - I would place it in a category along with party suits, tour jackets etc

Pluto mon brave!

Welcome to the forum, I know the set of which you speak, very funky!

AG

Here is a nice and different cut of Tigerstripe cap that you dont see everyday .

It comes with a handmade wing on Herringbone cloth to the front .

The peak is in the poplin material just like the 2nd jungle set in tiger I posted before .

I have a similar cap. Mine has a green sweatband and has some white material behind the tiger stripe in the front (non-synthetic/no glow under blacklight).

Please tell me what you think of it.

post-229-1233198088.jpg

post-229-1233198125.jpg

Helmet guy .

Your cap looks pretty close to me .

My sweat band is Tigerstripe.

Yours looks to be green .

Also the color underneath the peak is a different color .

Where did you get your cap by the way ?

thanks

owen

Helmet guy .

Your cap looks pretty close to me .

My sweat band is Tigerstripe.

Yours looks to be green .

Also the color underneath the peak is a different color .

Where did you get your cap by the way ?

thanks

owen

Owen,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the sweatband is green. The white material is a separate piece sewn in behind the tiger stripe.

I sent you a PM about where I got it.

vintageproductions

Here is a typical SOG type tiger stripe boonie. Made out of scraps of numerous pieces of tigers tripe material. The lining is a coarse dyed burlap. Between the lining and hat is a odd straw stuffing. This hat was shown in the Japanese magazine Combat in their special Vietnam issue in the late 80's.

ts1.JPG

ts2.JPG

ts3.JPG

VP

Your SOG boonie is fantastic .

Its conscruction is crude to say the least , but wow if this thing could talk !!!!

Using scrap Tiger to make a boonie is a very Viet trait .

And the burlap material is just salty .

I love it

owen

That is a fine example!

The ones posted by Paul in the other thread running at the moment and this one have been a very educational experience, i think the cruder they are the more desirable they actually become.

Did you have something similar with you at last years SOS Bob?

Patrick.

vintageproductions

Ahh, young grasshopper, with patience, you will get what you ask for....

Here is the Japanese magazine and a photo of the boonie hat from 1989

px1.JPG

px2.JPG

vintageproductions

Here's the page from the magazine and hopefully a better shot of the boonie.

px3.JPG

px4.JPG

Can't seem to get a clear shot as the paper the magazine was printed on either uscks in all the light without flash or bounces when a flash is used.