Tiger Stripes

Andrei

vintageproductions

In my opinion tiger stripe helmet covers were not widely used. In fact most of these that do show up are always in Viet marine pattern with a USMC stencil. I have never seen proof of these and have always thought they were a copy piece that originated in Japan. The only place I ever see these are when I am doing shows there.The only other pattern that they appear in are the Ranger sales type tiger stripe from the early 1980's. That booklet that is shown is a very basic collectors guide, but I would not take anything in there as "Gospel".

Mike Force, I don't know if that hat is legit, the white thread kinda sends up a warning flare for me. If I saw it at a show I'd probably pass on it unless it was $5.00, sorry, I just don't have a good feeling about it.

MF

I think your boonie is a custom piece .

When it was made is up for debate but the material is real for sure .

Enjoy it for what it is .

On the helmet cover posted , the material looks fake to me .

The thing is not just right .

The EGA is suspect .

No doubt TS covers were used on a limited unit basis but that one is not good .

IMO .

owen

These guys look more CIDG or Recon, then VNMC.

The left bearer seems to wear a CSDC "earth flowers" camo set, he's of course the only without cover :(!

nguoi tien su

The only photos I know with helmet covers are from the VNMC units. And I don't remember any stamp.

Spike,

the white thread kinda sends up a warning flare for me.

Why not? High quality tailored items can have that white thread. I have not made up my mind about the boonie, but the white thread is not the point.

Val , I think that all the guys wear TS !

NTS

Hi Guys,

thanks a lot for all the comments about the boonie.

I am not sure neither with the bonnie but the white thread is only used inside on top of the hat to protect the cloth for fraying every thing else is sewed with a tan thread.

The seller who sold me the whole uniform said it came straightly from a Vet!?, she also had absolutely no knowledge about such items.

Who knows?

Cheers

Mike

The only photos I know with helmet covers are from the VNMC units. And I don't remember any stamp.

Spike,

Why not? High quality tailored items can have that white thread. I have not made up my mind about the boonie, but the white thread is not the point.

Val , I think that all the guys wear TS !

NTS

vintageproductions

I agree with NTS that some white stitching is used in some original tiger stripe boonie hats, but that heavy / loopy stitch in the above hat is a finishing stitch used on current day sewing machines. It is like the stitched used on the inside leg of Levi's. Not a very common stitch used in Asia, during the war, for lightweight projects like a boonie hat.

Mike,

Jus to remind you that the TS group you bought was put in the forum to sell likely 2-3 weeks ago then put on Ebay.

About the bonnie, I have some suspiscion, first they discoloration is quite homogene (when you put under sunlight, you must see several shades between black and purple if the discoloration to purple is natural, try to compare your hat with the 2 unifroms)

Other member of this forum asked my opinion about the TS shirt made in jungle fatigue cut he found in another forum, after close examinations (with other french collectors) we concluded that was a fake (or repro), and unfortunately, the material and discoloration of your hat are exactly the same of this shirt

Remember also there were several repro made in Japan or by Nhay Du in Gold pattern.

So, I would say that in my opinion at 90%, your hat may be a modern repro

Joined here the shirt that I talked about. I will put it in the topic of Repro Tiger

Hi Guys,

thanks a lot for all the comments about the boonie.

I am not sure neither with the bonnie but the white thread is only used inside on top of the hat to protect the cloth for fraying every thing else is sewed with a tan thread.

The seller who sold me the whole uniform said it came straightly from a Vet!?, she also had absolutely no knowledge about such items.

Who knows?

Cheers

Mike

post-1523-1226696158.jpg

When you enlarge the photo to full size it does not look like he is wearing NPFF camo. They look like just heavily faded tiger stripes. Compare him to the guy in the center with his back top the photographer. The patterns are very similar in the dark stripes.

Bonsoir,

:unsure: With caveman (NTS) you are right but my assessment is wrong!

Sorry Bob!

Cheers

Valery

Hi Cop,

I guess you Guys are right with the boonie! Its most likely made after the war but it is made out of the original gold fabric from a old shirt or pants!

I know the soft heavy weight gold fabric very well it is one of a kind and no other reproduction have ever match these quality !

I am sure you know the difference between the gold heavy weight cloth and all the other heavy weight patterns as well, no other pattern is made out of this nice soft heavy cloth

But I am also sure that the hat was made after the war!

I didn’t bought the set just for the boonie the price was okay for the shirt and the pants in my opinion anyway.

The repro gold shirt you have showing its definitely a repro I saw that after I took a look for just one minute on it!, there are a lot of black stripes in the wrong configuration some parts of the black stripes fits more to the ARVN classic pattern than to the gold pattern.

I appreciate your comment and your are most likely right with the hat.

All the best !

Mike

Mike,

Jus to remind you that the TS group you bought was put in the forum to sell likely 2-3 weeks ago then put on Ebay.

About the bonnie, I have some suspiscion, first they discoloration is quite homogene (when you put under sunlight, you must see several shades between black and purple if the discoloration to purple is natural, try to compare your hat with the 2 unifroms)

Other member of this forum asked my opinion about the TS shirt made in jungle fatigue cut he found in another forum, after close examinations (with other french collectors) we concluded that was a fake (or repro), and unfortunately, the material and discoloration of your hat are exactly the same of this shirt

Remember also there were several repro made in Japan or by Nhay Du in Gold pattern.

So, I would say that in my opinion at 90%, your hat may be a modern repro

Joined here the shirt that I talked about. I will put it in the topic of Repro Tiger

vintageproductions

That gold four pocket shirt was listed over at WAF in the sale section. It was made in Japan in the early 90's. I believe the shop that carried them was called Tokyo Phantom, but not 100% sure. You have to love the fact that someone yanked the stores tag out of the neck.

I met the P.B.R. crew, they were pretty much all kids, except for Phillips, the Chief -- Gunner's Mate Third Class L. Johnson --Lance Johnson; Gunner's Mate Third Class J. Hicks -- The Chief --Radio Operator Second Class T. Miller; they called him Mr. Clean.

Cant remember whats the right Willard's VO. Transcript changes from site to site...

"The machinist, the one they called Chef, was from New Orleans.

He was rapped too tight for Vietnam, probably rapped too tight

for New Orleans. Lance on the forward 50's was a famous

surfer from the beaches south of LA. You look at him

and you wouldn't believe he ever fired a weapon in his whole

life. Clean, Mr. Clean, was from some South Bronx shithole.

Light and space of Vietnam really put the zap on his head.

Then there was Phillips, the Chief. It might have been my

mission, but it sure as shite was Chief's boat."

vintageproductions

While this thread gets temporarily hi-jacked for Apocalypse Now, here are two pieces from the movie itself.

The first is one of the PBR shirts from one of the background guys.

Years ago, before we ever thought movie stuff would be worth anything, I had one of Clean's uniforms. It had the costume tag Larry Fishbourne. I cut the patch off and threw the shirt in the trash. Someplace around here I still have my own personal butt kicking machine I use whenever I think about that shirt.

apoc1.JPG

vintageproductions

This is my favorite piece. This is the original artwork for the Time magazine cover with Colonel Kurtz on the cover. I bought this off of Ebay years ago, from a lawyer who helped secure financing for the movie. It was given to him as a thank you gift. This hangs right above my desk in my office. I bought it as a Birthday present for myself. Everytime Kammo-Man comes over, I have to check and make sure it is still hanging there when he leaves.

apoc2.JPG

What Vintage productions forgot to mention is this is a watercolor painting and is very fine .

you can see the pencil and brush marks .

What Bob is not aware of is I swopped his copy for a photocopy when he was using the restroom .

I am coming clean on this but as I am Living in Brazil he will never get me !!!!

owen

vintageproductions
Bob-You can just send it to me in Colorado for safekeeping.

Patrick- I may have to take you up on that. Just noticed some unexplained stains on the glass that I am hoping is drool from Owen, but you never know.

Here is one of the loose patches from the movie.

pbr.JPG

Patrick- I may have to take you up on that. Just noticed some unexplained stains on the glass that I am hoping is drool from Owen, but you never know.

Here is one of the loose patches from the movie.

post-492-1227200231.jpg

Drool... of course ! What elese...