Tiger Stripes

Andrei

Hi Jerome,

God damned!, that’s what I call luck!, only 150 bugs that’s for free!!!

Congratulations for your new score thumbsup.gif

Mike

HI ALL

One off my last acquisition on Ebay for only 150 dollars this flight suit is absolut mint condition made made with light weight twill

Cheers JEROME

Jim Schultz of Gung Ho magazine published three separate articles with pictures of tiger stripe uniforms back in the early 80's. Best I remember, there were 15-17 variants shown. Those weren't the Lee Russell articles either.

Anybody besides me remember those articles?

Yes, I do. One of my first inspirations to start collecting camo in the first place. I believe the intent was to showcase different camos of the world in 'fashionable' photo shoots. I still have a lot of those articles 'somewhere' and will scan them when I find them. I have always been an admirer of Max Crace's artwork (one of his most famous artworks is the kneeling tiger striped Marine Recon with TS cover reloading his M-203) and his familiarity with the camo really shows in his artwork.

I also recall the articles by E. Lee Russell in 'Militaria Illustrated' - he was also the author of Osprey's 'Armies of the Vietnam War (2)' which was a gold mine of VN camo references at the time. He also did a number of other titles for Osprey including the one on Grenada and the US Marine Corps (Elite 2). His blurb on the Osprey website is as follows:

"Lee E Russell was born in 1947, and sadly passed away in 2006. He served in the US Army from 1966 to 1968, including a year in Vietnam's Northern and Central provinces, with the 14th Engineer Bn (Combat). He had a lifelong interest in all aspects of military history, specializing primarily in 20th century uniforms and equipment. A member of the Company of Military Historians and the Association of American Military Uniform Collectors, he lived and worked in New York City, before moving to Virginia. He wrote several titles for Osprey over the years, and also worked as a consultant on military dress for motion pictures, television and the stage."

Hi brothers,

nobody should be unfriendly here! we have all the same interest and we like the same stuff as well! isn’t it?

MF

I couldn't agree more, this is the way it should be thumbsup.gif

17.jpg

Can't remember whether I've posted these or not ...

Tiger01.jpg

Tiger03.jpg

Tiger02.jpg

I have ID'd them thru RDG's book, but I can't be bothered remembering what they are, just that they're purty and they're MINE ...

As mentioned in my previous post, some examples of Max Crace's artwork, as scanned from his book, 'Visions of Vietnam' (going cheap on Amazon, I might add):

crace01.jpg

crace02.jpg

He has also done artwork for various books on snipers and some MACV-SOG illustrations

Some of you might remember one of the first ever Vietnam uniform references, published in 1980:

Mendez01.jpg

Most of it was text, some line drawings with colour samples attached, and the last few pages were B & W photos of mannequin set-ups in the authors' collections:

scan0003-1.jpg

ahhhh .... reference nostalgia ....

Yes, I do. One of my first inspirations to start collecting camo in the first place. I believe the intent was to showcase different camos of the world in 'fashionable' photo shoots. I still have a lot of those articles 'somewhere' and will scan them when I find them. I have always been an admirer of Max Crace's artwork (one of his most famous artworks is the kneeling tiger striped Marine Recon with TS cover reloading his M-203) and his familiarity with the camo really shows in his artwork.

I also recall the articles by E. Lee Russell in 'Militaria Illustrated' - he was also the author of Osprey's 'Armies of the Vietnam War (2)' which was a gold mine of VN camo references at the time. He also did a number of other titles for Osprey including the one on Grenada and the US Marine Corps (Elite 2). His blurb on the Osprey website is as follows:

"Lee E Russell was born in 1947, and sadly passed away in 2006. He served in the US Army from 1966 to 1968, including a year in Vietnam's Northern and Central provinces, with the 14th Engineer Bn (Combat). He had a lifelong interest in all aspects of military history, specializing primarily in 20th century uniforms and equipment. A member of the Company of Military Historians and the Association of American Military Uniform Collectors, he lived and worked in New York City, before moving to Virginia. He wrote several titles for Osprey over the years, and also worked as a consultant on military dress for motion pictures, television and the stage."

Bonjour,

We read clearly the same scarce books on this subject during the 80's. :lol: The first Osprey 'Armies of the Vietnam War' depicted in a strange way the different camo uniforms. Remember the LLDB officer or the SF trooper in tigers :rolleyes: !! It was the early years.

Here is my contribution. This set comes from major Whipple grouping. I've presented a complete tiger set with a PT trunks and his FJ with a nice embroidered name tape. Few plaques complete (or could ;) ) the grouping....

314wnbk.jpg

wrx5w7.jpg

sx1z87.jpg

2cpoo60.jpg

21e91du.jpg

qxv5np.jpg

qxv5np.jpg

14e2848.jpg

2kgaw1.jpg

2du9ok3.jpg

The other tiger shirt has the LD81/BCND patch orignally sewn.

Cheers

Valery

Wow!, nice stuff Valery!

the VNMC pattern pants looks like it was been modified with two leg pockets once!?

The gold shirt is also nice!, I like tigers who coming with patches!

Mike

Thanks to all those who have taken the time to add further details on early references.

A shame to hear of Mr. Russels passing.

Most of it was text, some line drawings with colour samples attached, and the last few pages were B & W photos of mannequin set-ups in the authors' collections:

Filupe, thanks for the scans. 1980? That is exceptionally early. Intriguing tiger cover on the helmet of figure "R".

Valery,

splendid VNMC advisor sets, remarkable colouration of the name tape inside the trousers.

Patrick.

Valery,

very impressive your 2 tigers, I enjoyed the Whipple set (i don't remember it is as faded as you showed, probably a combat worn uniforms)

Thanks for sharing

On a more recent note, Japanese collectors have been big tiger stripe acquirers since at least the early '80s. Numerous militaria-oriented magazines exist which often have a curious blend of airsoft, 'real steel', repro, genuine and at times, 'fashion' militaria. One such magazine concentrating on Vietnam is partly reproduced below:

ARMS01.jpg

ARMS02.jpg

ARMS03.jpg

ARMS04.jpg

ARMS05.jpg

ARMS06.jpg

It is with some irony that I note some of the Japanese reproduction tiger stripes, particularly by MASH Co. and 'Sam's Militariya'(sic) are now commanding prices as high as genuine items!

Hi,

Great shots from the old magazines, I love these Gung Ho beautiful girls in Tiger Stripe, ultimate TS collectors dream :D

I appreciate also to see Modern MASH repro, they are really very good, what s a pity they are almost as expensive as the real ones.

Cheers

post-467-1226322431.jpg

Part of a larger grouping. I have one jungle jacket and three post war OG shirts. Another JJ is somewhere else in France and a beautiful ERDL is in the good ole USA.