Amcraft Wing

joshypogi

Hello,

Does this look WWII original with original hardware and pin?

looks like a good wing with a replacement pin that looks German to me.

militarymodels

Hinge and probably catch too were definitely replaced.

Hello,

Does this look WWII original with original hardware and pin?

Good wing although I would think it might be a CBI hinge and pin replacement, a little crude for a German jeweler

Good wing. Repaired in Europe. Can be restored what it should have been. If you are interested contact me.

Joe

Good wing. Repaired in Europe. Can be restored what it should have been. If you are interested contact me.

Joe

Thanks for the response, How much is this worth now ?

Original wing, but the hinge appears to be replaced.

Kurt

Thanks for the response, How much is this worth now ?

Does anybody know when the German hinges was added? Could it be just post WWII? or shortly after?

Joshypogi,

It is very difficult to tell when it was modified.

An old friend of mine once pointed out to me that some of these wings had very long service lives. These sterling wings were expensive (even then) and were not like the practically disposable, pot metal insignia issued today. The original owners were very proud of their deluxe insignia and often had them repaired as the need arose.

Gives them character.

Chris

Joe

Dont be tempted to have the pin replaced. If that hinge is of German manufacture it helps to tell the story. Its a little bit of history. Why loose a 60 year old bit of charactor for a modern replacement. Graham.

I like the idea of leaving old things alone and learn to appreciate what they are rather than try to restore them to what they may or may not have been. I do repair broken pins and might try to restore a scarce piece to enhance its appearance if it made economic sense.

WWII era sterling wings are sometimes found in their original boxes with price tags still affixed...the most common 1940's price range I've seen is $3 - $3.50. If you run that through the inflation calculator, today's price for them would be something like $40. While not an outrageous price, it is still enough that a young officer would most likely repair them when he got a chance, rather than toss them away due to a broken pin that could be fixed for much less than the cost of a replacement.

I agree with the others to leave the repair alone. It is definately a German hinge, this style is seen on a lot of their awards as well. Very cool!

To add that interesting factor with wing's history, I will leave it alone. It makes a good conversation peice and the mystery on when it was replaced just adds to its appeal. Thank you for everybody's opinion.