M-3 Fighting Knife #2

JimD

Imperial blade, Viner Bros. scabbard.

Does it look good? Approximate value? Thanks in advance.

post-2661-1244440054.jpg

post-2661-1244440062.jpg

post-2661-1244440077.jpg

post-2661-1244440086.jpg

BOB K. RKSS

Sheath is FAKE! Note: SERIFS on lettering > originals did not have serifs (see exact drawings of original lettering in Cole's book III). Also, whenever you see that square/rectangle indentation in leather around maker & year: it's an indicator of a reproduction (not found on an original m-6 sheaths). M-3 knife looks authentic.

Jim

Scabbard looks good to me.I would take it in a heart beat.

Viner did use serif letters on the scabbards.On most repos the top of the 4 is open opposed to being closed(like yours)also the fakers on the Viner scabbard use all the same size letters.Will will look like this VINER BROS.Also many of the repos will not have eight staples at the throat.Will vary from six to seven.Also the 3 in 1943 is uniqe to Viner Brothers.THe repos would look like this(3).Also most repos will put period between the M and the 6(M.6.)Real scabbards dont have this anomoly.

Your scabbard is shown in the book THE M1 Carbine Vol III by JC HARRISON.

RD

Frank Trzaska

That stamping is correct and a very nice one I might add.

For future reference don't cut up all the photos, show at least one full overall shot of the knife and scabbard in a decent size. I myself would not say it is a correct knife or scabbard from those photos. The stamping is correct but without seeing the whole product in a good sized photo I would not make that call. Just personal preference.

All the best

Frank Trzaska

BOB K. RKSS

I stand by what was said; "Sheath is FAKE reproduction". I've owned at least two dozen (various makers) original m-6 sheaths, & never saw any with INDENTATION in leather around name, or Serifs on letters, or numbers; by any maker; until about 7 years ago, & since then have seen many sold on eBay, & at Shows. Good reason to get a copy of Coles U.S. Military Knives Book III > he was a mechanical drawing expert, & all his drawings are EXACT in detail (lettering, markings; etc.).