Is this an M1 or M2 Grenade Launcher??

rambob

I posted a topic called "Out to Launch" in this discussion group about rifle launched projectiles. In the picture I posted was what I thought was an M2 grenade launcher for my M1917 rifle. I am not so sure now because there is pitting that is obscuring most of the markings. I posted some really good pictures of the launcher in the other post and my thoughts. I would appreciate anybody who can help identify the launcher for sure.

Thanks,

Bob

Charlie Flick
I posted a topic called "Out to Launch" in this discussion group about rifle launched projectiles. In the picture I posted was what I thought was an M2 grenade launcher for my M1917 rifle. I am not so sure now because there is pitting that is obscuring most of the markings. I posted some really good pictures of the launcher in the other post and my thoughts. I would appreciate anybody who can help identify the launcher for sure.

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Bob:

I think that what you have is the second variation in the M1 launcher. The visible markings are identical to my M1 launcher although the pitting makes it tough to see. Brophy says in his M1903 book that the main difference between the M1 and the M2 (besides the marking) is that the "...the hole for the muzzle end of the barrel was slightly greater in diameter in the '03." That difference in diameter may account for the 'sloppiness' in fit on your M1917 rifle that you described in your other post.

So that others here can make the connection I am posting the link below to your other post here where your very good pics are seen. I really liked your rifle grenade display there.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=44432

Bob,

Charlie's assessment is on the money regarding your launcher. At a point in the war, they stopped using the M1917 rifle as a platform for grenade launching but continued to use the M1903, even after launchers were developed for the carbine and M1 rifle. When that happened, many of the M2 launchers were modifed so they could continue being used with the '03. It was a relatively easy fix requiring a few thousandths of an inch of metal removal in the bore of the launcher to accomodate the M1903's larger muzzle diameter.

Don't feel too bad that your launcher is for the M1903 rifles. Any of these launchers are very hard to find today and are a nice addition to a collection.

Here's an image of the launcher types in question.....

At the top is a standard M2 launcher for the M1917.

Below it is an M2 launcher modified and re-marked for use with the M1903.

At the bottom is the production M1 launcher for the M1903.

PICT0805.JPG

Charlie and Ordnance, Thanks so much for your clarification!! BTW. Beautiful launchers I may add, Ordinance!! I am sure a lot of the forum members are salivating over that display. Guys. there is good news and bad news here in your revelations.

Bad News: Its not an M2 so if I really wanted to shoot something off the end of my M1917, it wouldn't work well due to the gas leakage around the muzzle. Don't Worry!! This is NOT going to keep me up at night!!

Good News: I still mounts and looks perfect on the end of my M1917 for display purposes and only a true mega guru would be able to tell it wasn't an M2. Also, I found it in a junk box, under a table at the OGCA show in Cleveland about 10 years ago and only paid $10 for it then. So I got a relatively scarce piece for a pittance.

Regards,

Bob