A Collection of Rifle Grenades (and Flares)

rambob

All during my past gun and militaria show excursions I have always bought any type of item that could be launched off of a WWII rifle or accessories that permitted this to be done. These items really interested me for some reason. The good news was that generally I didn’t pay much for any of these items, back in the good old days. The top row of the photo below I am very proud of, because it is a complete collection of Signals, Ground, Star, Parachute in all four issued colors white, red, green and amber, with their issue tubes. The right two tubes are still sealed with the tape around the middle and have never been opened. BTW. The weird looking signal in the middle is a sectioned version I did for display purposes. Here are the designations for each signal:

Signal, Ground, White Star, Parachute, M17A1 = with white cover, embossed WP

Signal, Ground, Green Star, Parachute, M19A1 = with green cover, embossed GP

Signal, Ground, Amber Star, Parachute, M21A1 = with yellow cover, embossed AP

Signal, Ground, Red Star, Parachute, M51A1 = with red cover, embossed RP

The second row contains from left to right, Grenade, Rifle, Smoke M19; Grenade, Practice M11A3; Grenade, Practice M11; Grenade, Rifle, Frag, Impact, M17; Adapter, Grenade, Projection, Chemical M2A1; Adapter, Grenade, Projection, M1; Sealed can with Grenade Cartridge Assortment. This can contained the two boxes of cartridges, for the M1 Garand, M3 and M1 Carbine, M6, shown below can. The smaller box contains five Auxiliary Grenade Cartridges M7 that were used to increase launching distance even farther, than with only the standard Rifle Grenade Cartridge.

The third row contains from left to right, Recoil Boot; TB 23-30-1 for Sight, Rifle Grenade Launcher, M15 (Came with the mounting jig); Jig for mounting the M15 sight onto rifle stock; M7 Launcher for M1 Garand; M2 Launcher for M1917 rifle; Sight, Rifle Grenade Launcher, M15, pouch and instructions; Clips, used to keep the signal/grenade from slipping down the launcher prior to launching.

Two major ommissions I am desperately trying to fill are an M8 launcher for my M1 Carbine and an M9A1 AntiTank Rifle Grenade. But I haven't lost hope yet!!

I hope you all find this interesting.

Bob

post-299-1244259552.jpg

Bob,

A very nice collection of rifle grenade goodies. The real gem in the lot is the M2 launcher for the M1917 Enfield rifle. They are even scarcer than the M1 launcher for the M1903 Springfield and most of the surviving M2 launchers were modified to fit the '03 and were overstamped with that information. If your example isn't re-marked for the '03, you have an exceptionally rare item. twothumbup.gif

Ordinance, I am so glad you brought this up. The launcher I have is far from pristine in that it has pitting on it especially in the marking area. I have taken three really high resolution photographs to help identify it, but it appears to have the remains of a M1903A1 marling on it after close inspection, so it probably isn't an M2 after all. Sorry for the confusion. It fits my M1917 rifle with a little slop around the muzzle, so I am really not sure what I have actually. If the M1903 rifle barrel diameter is greater than an M1917 barrel, then this could be an M1 launcher that will still fit an M1917 rifle loosely around the muzzle. Sadly, I do not own an M1903 rifle to try it out on.

Any help from the experts on the forum would be very much appreciated.

post-299-1244386460.jpg

VERY nice items Bob. bravo.gif

I wish I had known you were looking for a M9A1, I just sold spare one here on the forum a couple of days ago.

Bryan

Bryan, Thanks for the kind words. Darn it!! I would have bought that M9A1 in a heartbeat but haven't gotten into the habit of checking the For Sale ads on the forum!! It was in sweet condition and would have looked great in my collection.

Regards,

Bob

All during my past gun and militaria show excursions I have always bought any type of item that could be launched off of a WWII rifle or accessories that permitted this to be done. These items really interested me for some reason. The good news was that generally I didn’t pay much for any of these items, back in the good old days. The top row of the photo below I am very proud of, because it is a complete collection of Signals, Ground, Star, Parachute in all four issued colors white, red, green and amber, with their issue tubes. The right two tubes are still sealed with the tape around the middle and have never been opened. BTW. The weird looking signal in the middle is a sectioned version I did for display purposes. Here are the designations for each signal:

Signal, Ground, White Star, Parachute, M17A1 = with white cover, embossed WP

Signal, Ground, Green Star, Parachute, M19A1 = with green cover, embossed GP

Signal, Ground, Amber Star, Parachute, M21A1 = with yellow cover, embossed AP

Signal, Ground, Red Star, Parachute, M51A1 = with red cover, embossed RP

The second row contains from left to right, Grenade, Rifle, Smoke M19; Grenade, Practice M11A3; Grenade, Practice M11; Grenade, Rifle, Frag, Impact, M17; Adapter, Grenade, Projection, Chemical M2A1; Adapter, Grenade, Projection, M1; Sealed can with Grenade Cartridge Assortment. This can contained the two boxes of cartridges, for the M1 Garand, M3 and M1 Carbine, M6, shown below can. The smaller box contains five Auxiliary Grenade Cartridges M7 that were used to increase launching distance even farther, than with only the standard Rifle Grenade Cartridge.

The third row contains from left to right, Recoil Boot; TB 23-30-1 for Sight, Rifle Grenade Launcher, M15 (Came with the mounting jig); Jig for mounting the M15 sight onto rifle stock; M7 Launcher for M1 Garand; M2 Launcher for M1917 rifle; Sight, Rifle Grenade Launcher, M15, pouch and instructions; Clips, used to keep the signal/grenade from slipping down the launcher prior to launching.

Two major ommissions I am desperately trying to fill are an M8 launcher for my M1 Carbine and an M9A1 AntiTank Rifle Grenade. But I haven't lost hope yet!!

I hope you all find this interesting.

Bob

realy a verry nice collection, i also looking for a ww2 grenade launcher for my carbine

if you have something to sell,let me know

Now let's not forget the smallest launching accessory, the special gas plug for the M1 Garand rifle. It is designed to replace the standard solid gas plug on all M1 Grand rifles. It has a small valve on it that is held open by a short post on the M7 launcher. In this position the gas bled off from the barrel is exhausted out the front of the plug without it acting on the action. This keeps the extra pressure from the launching cartridge from damaging the action of the rifle. In the picture the valve is shown in the open position. After the M7 is removed, the valve is still open, but will close after the next shot of ball ammunition.

post-299-1244504373.jpg

Latewatch, That is a fantastic collection and I am super impressed. Your collection is what mine wants to be when it grows up.

Regards,

Bob

Latewatch, That is a fantastic collection and I am super impressed. Your collection is what mine wants to be when it grows up.

Regards,

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for the kind words but, as with most collections mine is a work in progress. You have some very nice and hard to find pieces there and you should be proud of them.

The hunt continues.........

Take care,

Steve

You are really gonna hate this...check out this thread at the G503 forum:

http://www.g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=142826

Just the gist of the thread is that this poster's neighbor gave him these weapons :o

rifles1.jpg

rifles3.jpg

rifles14.jpg

rifles19.jpg

rifles24.jpg

Wish someone would give me some quality stuff like that...... :ermm:

The carbine looks like it's probably original. The M1 Launcher for the M1903 is fantastic and looks to have its original blued finish. Most were refurbished and parkerized. The M8 Launcher for the carbine may be a repo. I do not see any manufacturers markings on the hood. There should be a KM, an SR in a diamond, an R in a star, or a USCB on the hood. Hard to tell for sure in the pics. Some very nice items there.

The closest I came to something like this was when I worked for a gun dealer in the early 90's. We had an antique dealer come in with a rifle he had bought for $100.00 while looking at some antique furniture. **** It was an original Iron Frame Henry Rifle**** :crying:

• 2 years later...

I know this is quite a late post on this thread, but I have a question about the rifle grenade signal flares. Is there any danger of the compounds in the flare breaking down and becoming explosive, unstable, or otherwise hazardous? I've always wanted to pick up a few of these flares for my collection, but I've heard a variety of warnings concerning legality as well as safety regarding these items. Anyone out there have more experience with these or a better informed opinion than I've been able to find thus far?

Thanks.