CATTARAUGUS 225Q

sgtdorango

sgtdorango

Just picked up this hefty Cattauraugus 225Q knife!.....I love the look and feel of this one, blade has been sharpened and the leather washer handle is worn in just right!!..Ive seen a bunch of these in person and online and this one has a nice worn look to the leather grip just the way I like it....looks perfect with my KaBar...Im not really even a knife collector but cant resist these and KaBars....it does not have a leather sheath, looking for one but tough to come by on the loose!......mike

post-350-1244079654.jpg

Mike,

Very nice example thumbsup.gif. I too have a soft spot for the "beefy" design of the Quartermaster knives used during WWII. Here is a picture of the Cattaraugus knife I have in my collection -

croppedshot.jpg

It too has that "been there and done that" look about the blade and leather handle.

If you have not seen it, here is a neat picture of Major General "Dutch" Cota with a Cattaraugus knife hanging off his pistol belt -

MajorGeneralNormanDDutchCotawithCat.jpg

Tim

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Here's one of my dads survival knife

100th BG B-17 combat air crewman

Has a notch on both sides like a V?

Jack

post-11767-1275324392.jpg

post-11767-1275324403.jpg

Here's one of my dads survival knife

100th BG B-17 combat air crewman

Has a notch on both sides like a V?

Jack

post-11767-1275324479.jpg

Jack-Family heirlooms are nice, especially when you have a history. I do have a suggestion. I always attach a manila tag(shoe tag) with any historical info to the scabbard or knife so that the family history is not lost, and the knife ends up in a yard sale. SKIP

Jack-Family heirlooms are nice, especially when you have a history. I do have a suggestion. I always attach a manila tag(shoe tag) with any historical info to the scabbard or knife so that the family history is not lost, and the knife ends up in a yard sale. SKIP

Skip,

Excellent advise; but not necessary in my case. I'm the 100th Bomb Group website www.100thbg.com Forum message board administrator and 100th Bomb Group Foundation,Life member,researcher since the late 70's. I focus on the last year of the group. Am the 100th BGF expert on that period.

Best Regards,

Jack O'Leary

Hey Gang! Been looking and thinking about "Q" knives. Cattaraugus 225, Case 337 6". Now I have a question. Has anyone seen any info, or know why the scabbards on "Q" knives are all "lefties"? Never seen anything in writing, but they seem to be the only major variations packaged that way.I doubt the military selected all left handed soldiers for the Quartermaster Corps. Any ideas? THX SKIP

Nice to see all the 225Q's (especially the group of four in amazing condition) and the comments on them.

Though none yet with that offset V notch on both sides of the hand guard.... That other thread on them has a number of thoughts on the subject as well. (My dad was left handed)

Jack

A few of mine

I love the catts great design.

2888448580_7cdfd59748_b.jpg

Nice collection you have there :thumbsup: . I am intrigued by the knife on the far left - are the notches on the blade's top edge a factory variant or field expedient mod made by whomever used the knife? I have never seen such a variant in the Catt' knives.

I guess you see and learn something new every day.

Tim

Has anyone seen any info, or know why the scabbards on "Q" knives are all "lefties"?SKIP

Skip,

Unless I am missing the point of your question, I don't think all "Q" knife scabbards are set up for lefties. Here is an example of my two "Q" knives, a Cattaraugus 225Q and a Case 337-6Q, that have opposite oriented scabbards -

CaseQkinfe.jpg

CattaraugusQknife.jpg

Tim

Here's mine. I love the mirror finish to the blade. It is amazingly clean and came from a CBI vet.

Mike

100_4499.jpg

100_4501.jpg

100_4503.jpg