a question for the experts,at the last SOS i got a 5 button sack that has the 1902 pattern eagle buttons on it,it was a fairly cheap buy so it came home with me,however some of my buddys are saying that the buttons are the wrong ones for that jacket and that it should have the early IW style buttons on it,so what is correct?,btw it has a jeffersonville qm stamp dated 1900 in both sleeves,THANKS

a question for the experts,at the last SOS i got a 5 button sack that has the 1902 pattern eagle buttons on it,it was a fairly cheap buy so it came home with me,however some of my buddys are saying that the buttons are the wrong ones for that jacket and that it should have the early IW style buttons on it,so what is correct?,btw it has a jeffersonville qm stamp dated 1900 in both sleeves,THANKS

CAn you show a pic of the collar brass? If not, can you ID? US's and branch -- in gilt, right? If they are artillery, I would not be surprised.

Once the "new" 1902 uniform was adopted, soldiers were to wear their old 5-button coats with added new style chevrons and collar insignia. Artillerymen got theirs last -- perhaps as late as 1907. Yes, a 1900 contract coat should have the old style buttons -- assuming that it was made before 1903. However, remember, this is a contract date and the contract may not have been completed before the new buttons (supplied by the QM) came out.

Personally, I would note the anamoly and not change them -- just call it "transitional".

Gil,

Somewhere I remember reading that the sack coat was still being worn in Coast Artillery formations as late as 1916... But I can't for the life of me find the reference... Do you know?

Chris

CAn you show a pic of the collar brass? If not, can you ID? US's and branch -- in gilt, right? If they are artillery, I would not be surprised.

Once the "new" 1902 uniform was adopted, soldiers were to wear their old 5-button coats with added new style chevrons and collar insignia. Artillerymen got theirs last -- perhaps as late as 1907. Yes, a 1900 contract coat should have the old style buttons -- assuming that it was made before 1903. However, remember, this is a contract date and the contract may not have been completed before the new buttons (supplied by the QM) came out.

Personally, I would note the anamoly and not change them -- just call it "transitional".

Gil,

Somewhere I remember reading that the sack coat was still being worn in Coast Artillery formations as late as 1916... But I can't for the life of me find the reference... Do you know?

Chris

I can't either. That's why I used '07 at least. Certainly the CA soldiers did not need covert (drab uniforms), so that explains reason for blue. I would think they would have had the new blue before the date you mentioned. Certainly they should have used up all the old 5-buttons long before then.

I do have a post '03 5-button with chevron and collar brass -- shall I post it or shall we wait for the topic initiator to show his as I asked?

post-72-1176658298.jpgpost-72-1176658218.jpgnot really much to see on this,just an ordinary 5 button,and yes it is artillery with 1902 pattern red rank chevrons with an arty qualifaction badge

forgot to add this to the post,according to emerson new recruits stopped getting these in 1908,and coastal arty used them till they depleated the supply in 1911

forgot to add this to the post,according to emerson new recruits stopped getting these in 1908,and coastal arty used them till they depleated the supply in 1911

You beat me to posting a CA CPL's coat pix -- here's mine. The last issue dates you mention sound very realistic, especially given that collar insignia was issued.

134_3491__2_.JPG

134_3492.JPG

very nice 5 button you have there,i was not aware that they wore collar insg on those,all i ever saw on the collar of those was the marksman buttons,when was that authorized? anyway thanks for the info,

very nice 5 button you have there,i was not aware that they wore collar insg on those,all i ever saw on the collar of those was the marksman buttons,when was that authorized? anyway thanks for the info,

The collar insignia like you see were authorized in the 1902 Regulations -- as were the new, smaller, point up chevrons. The ols five button coat was replaced by the new M1902 some years later with Coast Artillery soldiers getting their last. See dicussion above.