Again on 1941 M2 Artillery compass

artu44

Days ago arrive from the US my big box with my last purchases and finally I could admire this beauty. The few wartime M2s I ever saw were all 1942 dated so I was incline to think this was the only year of production until I caught on ebay its ad. Ebay buying is like roulette gambling, I got this minty for 45$ and I had to pay 150$ for the broken glass 1942.

The most surprising thing is its pouch different from any other compass pouch and with belt loop and felt lined. I think it would be the original WWII pouch because my 1942 came in a M19 postwar Boyt pouch no lined.

Enjoy pics.

post-67-1244014521.jpg

post-67-1244014535.jpg

Brian Keith

Nice, I plan on doing a compass exhibit display sometime.

I don't have on of those yet. Let alone the varity you have found.

BKW

mpguy80/08
pouches

Nice Compass... I remember this one well... I was an 81mm Mortar section sergeant/Platoon Sergeant in the Ohio Guard for awhile back in the late 80s, and this compass was used quite frequently. It is marked in mils, not degrees... 6400 mils as opposed to 360 degrees. not very easy to navigate with, but it was a lot more accurate when laying in a gun section.

Wayne

Nice Compass... I remember this one well... I was an 81mm Mortar section sergeant/Platoon Sergeant in the Ohio Guard for awhile back in the late 80s, and this compass was used quite frequently. It is marked in mils, not degrees... 6400 mils as opposed to 360 degrees. not very easy to navigate with, but it was a lot more accurate when laying in a gun section.

Wayne

Mils are very useful in countries with decimal metric system. As 1 minute of angle is one inch at 100 yds, 1 mils is one meter at one kilometer. When I was in my 120mm mortar company we used an ordinary prismatic compass.

mpguy80/08
Mils are very useful in countries with decimal metric system. As 1 minute of angle is one inch at 100 yds, 1 mils is one meter at one kilometer. When I was in my 120mm mortar company we used an ordinary prismatic compass.

Yeah... The Worm Formula.... hehehe W=R/M I was 81mm myself...

Wayne

Yeah... The Worm Formula.... hehehe W=R/M I was 81mm myself...

Wayne

My mortar was bigger and longer than your LOL

mpguy80/08
My mortar was bigger and longer than your LOL

Good lord... how do you come back to that? LOL I'm rolling on the floor here....

Wayne