WW1 pilots wing Haltom from Duncan Campbell Auction

John Cooper

John Cooper

I am very proud to be the new owner of a beautiful Haltom WW1 pilot’s wing. I think it was best described by noted author Maj. Terry Morris in his must have WW1 wing book as...

"in the author's opinion, the most striking of the WW1 wing badges"

BTW Thanks to the following collectors at the auction today: Ron Burkey, Tod Rathbone, & Russ Wilson - gentleman all!

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/1633/haltom.jpg

IMPERIAL QUEST

John,

Since I consider you a very good friend, and since you have excellent taste, I won't say "I hate you". I am glad that you were able to pick up what would have been MY first choice of wing from the auction. Well done; truly one of the most beautiful designs that I have ever seen

John Cooper

Steve,

I was lucky to add this wing to my collection as there was some tough competition! I wanted to add some more information on this wing from Duncan Campbell's book (another must have book) p. 87 he states that this wing is "One of the superb wing badges of World War I" which belong to a Lt. Robert J. Hodgins.

John

John,

I think the Haltom wing would have been my choice also, not only because it is a beautiful wing, but also having grown up in Ft. Worth, Haltom’s store was our local “Tiffany”; the recognized upscale jeweler…just as Shreve is in your area. In fact, I went to school for a few years with one of his grandsons—a snotty little twit, if ever there was one.

Old G.W. Haltom was an American success story who found himself in the right place at the right time with the right skills and he capitalized on them during the early 20th Century. I think the source of his trade, was in some respects, the same as Neiman Marcus tapped, which was the sudden wealth generated in the newly found West Texas oil fields, from large cattle ranchers, and railroad men who were in those days just beginning to develop the “infrastructure” in that part of the country.

Couple that with the fact that Ft. Worth’s Camp Bowie and Dallas’ Love Field were significant venues for the training of WWI aviators and it would follow that old G.W. would find a local market in making some nice wings for the boys.

Great pick-off…congratulations.

thumbsup.gif

Nice wing.

It seems that a number of slight variations exist for this wing. Some are 2 pieces (with the shield and both wings) some are 3 pieces, with the two wings separate and attached to the shield. I have also seen some small variations in the feathering between the different versions. I have a similar wing in 2 pieces, but the back of the wing section covers up the hallmark (if one was present) on the shield.

Good for you John.

Patrick

Belleauwood

John,

What a jewel! And from the Cambell collection - Beautiful and hard to find better.

Best,

Dennis

John Cooper

Thanks everyone for all the replies I really feel I not only have a super wing but maybe more importantly the fact it came from Duncan's collection who will forever be mentioned in the collecting circles when anyone speaks about the beginnings of wing collecting. It is an honor and a privilege to have one of his wings.

John

John Cooper
John,

Congratulations!

Chris

Thanks Chris... I see you have an avatar of one of the wings that got away!

John

Thanks Chris... I see you have an avatar of one of the wings that got away!

John

John,

Nope, thats this one:

post-594-1244245984.jpg

Chris

Ok rub it in! :P

Sheesh, that from the guy who just got a straight up G.W. Haltom!

I don't have one of those, yet...

;)

IMPERIAL QUEST

OK John, you have had enough time for the honeymoon. When are we going to see some glamour shots from different angles....hmmmm????