1917 Bolo

hawkdriver

hawkdriver

I found a pristine condition 1917 non-LF&C bolo (can't remember the maker), the only problem is that someone has removed the grips and then blued it. It comes with a LF&C OD metal scabbard. Two questions, how hard is it to remove bluing, secondly, were LF&C scabbards used on non LF&C knives?

Spathologist

How hard the bluing is to remove depends on what type of bluing it is.

Cold blue usually removes easily with 000 steel wool and oil.

Some hot blues are very hard to remove and you'll have to go with something rougher to get it off, then polish with gradually finer abrasives until you get the finish you want.

Frank Trzaska
Two questions, how hard is it to remove bluing, secondly, were LF&C scabbards used on non LF&C knives?

1.) Easy to remove bluing, just buy some bluing remover at any gun shop.

2.) LF&C didn't make a bolo, only made the scabbards.

All the best

Frank Trzaska

bayonetman

Are you SURE it has been refinished/reblued? Remember that these were dark finished as manufactured, either "war finish blue" or Parkerized (Frank would know for sure). Whichever, they were dark finished rather than bright like the Model 1910.

As Frank stated, the bolos were only made by Plumb (Philadelphia), Plumb (St. Louis) and American Cutlery Company of Chicago. All scabbards, including the metal Landers, Frary and Clark version were made by other manufacturers so basically any maker can be found in any scabbard.

PLBPHIL.jpg

hawkdriver

The knife is in better shape than the one shown, but it does look like someone hit it with some cold blue. The wood is in really good shape, almost no scarring. The scabbard looks to be in identical shape. The guy is asking $275, not sure I want to pay that, what is a good price for these? He also has a Woodsman Pal with the saw tooth back in the red metal tray, but the blade is rusty, wants $90 for it.

Frank Trzaska

These were Parkerized with the Parker Rust Proofing method.

I have recently found a source that stated Ordnance refinished many rifles in Europe during and right after WWI with the newly designed "Italian Method" of bluing. So far I have not found out what that is but am on the path. It may be the link to what we term "War Finish Blue" that Gary states above. We know that rifles and bayonets have a different finish during the war years. Just a hunch for now but another thread to tug on.

All the best

Frank Trzaska

I ended up not buying it, just couldn't bring myself to take a $275 chance on a hack job. Know where it can be found thought, if anyone is interested.