My uncle's WWII baby flat top - U.S.S. CARD, CVE-11

Greg Sebring

Greg Sebring

My uncle, Lt. jg Fred Dickinson, was assigned to this ship. It was primarily on sub patrol duty in the Atlantic. Fred has passed on but I remember him showing me photos of this ship returning to port with several brooms hanging suspended from the super structure. He told me this symbolized a "clean sweep" where they sank everything they encountered. Fred also saw duty in the Pacific at Okinawa but I don't know if it was on the same ship.

The second photo shows what I believe is a mission detailing where significant events happened. You never hear much about the baby flat tops as they were less glamorous than the "big boys" but played an important part in winning the war and protecting the mainland.

Greg

post-118-1176558566.jpg

post-118-1176558591.jpg

post-118-1176558795.jpg

The chart is part of an after action report that illustrates course headings and events. The USS Leary (DD 158) was a 1,090 ton flush deck four-stack 'can that was launched in December, 1918. Leary was torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-275 in the North Atlantic, 24 Dec 1943.

U-275 was a type VII C that was sunk by a mine in the North Sea in 1945, so was not the sub indicated sunk on this chart.

The other sub identified on this chart appears to be U-413 or U-415 neither were reported sunk at this location. Either no sub was sunk or it was mis-identified.

Greg Sebring

Here is a photograph of the CARD I found on the CARD's reunion web site.

I appreciate the interpretation.

Greg

post-118-1176644949.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
The chart is part of an after action report that illustrates course headings and events. The USS Leary (DD 158) was a 1,090 ton flush deck four-stack 'can that was launched in December, 1918. Leary was torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-275 in the North Atlantic, 24 Dec 1943.

U-275 was a type VII C that was sunk by a mine in the North Sea in 1945, so was not the sub indicated sunk on this chart.

The other sub identified on this chart appears to be U-413 or U-415 neither were reported sunk at this location. Either no sub was sunk or it was mis-identified.

For many years, I attended the USS SCHENCK/LEARY reunions. They stopped about 4 years ago. A friend of mine's dad was on the SCHENCK. Talking to the survivors of the LEARY sinking was an incredible experience for me. The SCHENCK was credited for sinking the U-645 that night.

Charlie

• 11 years later...
philliephanatic

I realise the original post is about 11 years old, but I would be happy to add to this post if anyone would like to see more photos of the Card. I have some originals in my collection and have found a bunch more on the web. My grandfather Robert R. Baker served on this ship during WWII as an Aviation Machinist's Mate.

I'd be interested to see other photos....especially crew shots if you have any. My uncle was a LT j.g. on the CARD. When it broke down in the Atlantic, he transferred to the Pacific Theater. He ended being a Naval liaison going ashore in the third wave at Iwo Jima direct fire from the ship.

• 3 months later...

what a pleasant read. most of the smaller carriers are forgotten now. if you don't mind, i thought i would use you thread to say a bit

about the one my dad was on, the u.s.s. cowpens cv-25, the mighty moo. named after a revolutionary war battle in cowpens, n.c. (?)

it was an Independence class ship. all in that class had a list to the side because of the weight of the island, i guess. there are a few somewhat famous photos taken on her decks. she was if my memory serves, the first carrier into tokyo bay. dad told me he watched the surrender ceremony thru binoculars from about 600 yards away. there was a large painting of a bull on the side of the island that, when the ship returned to base, a certain part of the bull had to be painted out. thanks for shedding a little light on those "jeep" carriers. they played a huge roll in winning the war at sea.