Hands on experience with the Campbell collection!

John Cooper

John Cooper

All I was lucky enough to take a trip into S.F. and visit the Bonham’s facility to see the Campbell collection up close and HANDS ON!

What a treat! I arrived late and there were two other folks there ahead of me Ron Burkey of Flying Tiger and Todd Rathbone. Holding these wings in your and seeing them up close was a great experience. I was so happy to have in my hand everything from the Military Aviator to the Josten WASP wing and many more in between. I think I must have handled more than half of the wings in the short time before the closed the doors.

Additionally while looking at some of the wings Duncan Campbell had mounted on cards I noticed he had hand written notes about the specific of the attached wing.

Some had notes from wing he previously had on the cards and noted they were fake… and crossed them out. I felt as though I had a small connection with Duncan that was nice to have. I only wish I moved into wings earlier as it would have been nice to meet him. I have only heard good things from those fortunate to meet him.

I have to say driving home I felt a bit like I was on cloud nine.

John

John Cooper

No photos Darrell since I did not know if they had any rules against it. The online photos are not too bad. Just navigate to www.bonhams.com and look for the June 2nd auction in S.F. Once there start at item number 3607.

Cheers

John

Any info on what sold and what didn't and what were the prices realized?

Thanks......Bobgee

John Cooper
Any info on what sold and what didn't and what were the prices realized?

Thanks......Bobgee

The prices are actually on the website but if you want to know what a specifics wing sold for let me know and I will get that for you.

John

These lots don't indicate a price realized...were they withdrawn or were they passed?

John Cooper

Paul,

Not sure why some do not have a listing but here is what I have on the hammer price

3662 - BBB marked observer - withdrawn

3664 - $950

3669 - $850

3670 - $1000

3676 - $650

3678 - $225

John