Questionable axe carrier

StevenL

I bought this 1918 dated axe carrier at a garage sale for a dollar thinking I was getting a steal on a WWI item but when I got home it started looking like it's actually a boy scout item. Some websites say that it's Army issue and some say it's from the scouts. I'm leaning more towards scouts, but can anyone clarify this for me?

IMG_0158-1.jpg

IMG_0159-1.jpg

As the others said, you did great. It is a cover for the M-1910 axe, as seen on this photo of a medic.

post-70-1243826877.jpg

Here is the ax that goes in it (from my collection):

post-70-1243826970.jpg

Thanks for all the replies. I think I know what the story with this one is now. On my carrier on the left side in the first pictures you can see a very faint circular outline of a stamp, which I think is a Boy Scouts seal. I have a feeling that these were used post-WWI as surplus by the scouts, which would explain all the Scout references on the web. Thanks for helping me with this one, now to just find an axe to go with it haha.

craig_pickrall

Those camp axes are hard to find. I had a friend that was a WW1 collector and looked for over 20 years without finding one. He sold his collection and the year following that I managed to find 2 of them. I don't collect WW1 so I sold them both on ebay at a tidy profit.

A good place to look is old tool dealers in antique malls, etc. The heads are metal stamped US and the handles are straight. Look at the photo above to see the handle. Both that I found were unpainted. The WW2 axes have the maker name and date cast into the head and all I have seen are painted OD green.

There are several topics here that discuss these if you want more info.